Celestia 1.7.0 Development Thread

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
TheLostProbe
With us: 4 years

Post #1301by TheLostProbe » 27.12.2022, 08:19

Art Blos wrote:I am sure that there are enthusiasts among Windows users. But they need to be made aware that we need them.
there are enthusiast windows users, there are windows programmers, and there are people that are willing to help this project. if we had actually invested more time and effort into things like social media earlier, then we almost certainly wouldn't have this issue in the first place.
"Carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where the dimensions intersect... impossible to describe with our limited vocabulary."
- Dr. Wallace Breen

john71
With us: 7 years 8 months

Post #1302by john71 » 27.12.2022, 09:09

TheLostProbe wrote:john71 wrote:
Maybe Windows users should have a separate subforum here. We have unique problems and experiences, it seems.
no point. it would just be better to state that you are running windows instead of posting it in a specialized thread.

I'm sorry, but Markerz version of Windows Celestia is not the one I can actually use. Also, the Android version is not for me.

It feels like and behaves like a different software.

I absolutely respect what Onetwothree and Markerz did, but their vision and their Unix and Android software is not the original Celestia I love.

That's why I think that a Windows only subforum would be better, with it's own developers.

I fear Onetwothree and Markerz are not real Windows developers anymore, so we should form our own community.
Last edited by john71 on 27.12.2022, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin
With us: 5 years 7 months

Post #1303by onetwothree » 27.12.2022, 09:20

TheLostProbe wrote:we also have ajtribick who is currently thinking about re-joining the dev team i believe?

The last news from Andrew I have is that he decided to left Celestia, I don't know if he want to return.

TheLostProbe wrote:chris is also an option but i don't think he has touched windows development in years

Forget about Chris. I don't think he ever returns.

TheLostProbe wrote:how does this work exactly? is it like if i tweet on my account it tweets on the @CelestiaProject account? or something different?

https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/tweetdeck-teams

I've sent you an invitation.

Art Blos wrote:And this is impossible. Don't you understand yet? "For fun" you gave hope to thousands of Celestia users in 2018 year?

The problem is that you heard what you wanted to hear.

Art Blos wrote:I am sure that there are enthusiasts among Windows users. But they need to be made aware that we need them.

https://github.com/CelestiaProject/Celestia/issues/322 - Jul 17, 2019. More then three years ago.

Art Blos wrote:Let me just say that emigration did not prevent further correction of errors in the Unix version, including graphic ones. So it can't really be considered as an argument.

That's just a your opinion.

Art Blos wrote:Unfortunately no. I have seen your posts and we have been testing the new version. Localization still works incorrectly in the native interface. And this "red cross" instead of a icon and strange letters "B"...

Please report this to gh with a listing of installed files and console output.

Art Blos M
With us: 6 years 8 months

Post #1304by Art Blos » 27.12.2022, 09:49

onetwothree wrote:The last news from Andrew I have is that he decided to left Celestia, I don't know if he want to return.
Another bad news...

onetwothree wrote:The problem is that you heard what you wanted to hear.
Do you serious think I'm the only one who thinks so? We all hoped for a better future.

onetwothree wrote:Jul 17, 2019. More then three years ago.
One post on GitHub is also not enough.

onetwothree wrote:That's just a your opinion.
Maybe. But everyone has their own life problems.

onetwothree wrote:Please report this to gh with a listing of installed files and console output.
What files should be in this list? I don't think it's all in a row.
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin

Post #1305by onetwothree » 27.12.2022, 10:23

Art Blos wrote:What files should be in this list? I don't think it's all in a row.
First of all full listing of locale directory.

TheLostProbe

Post #1306by TheLostProbe » 27.12.2022, 12:36

onetwothree wrote:The last news from Andrew I have is that he decided to left Celestia, I don't know if he want to return.
he recently joined the discord server again so i just inferred from that that he might be open to development again
onetwothree wrote:https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/tweetdeck-teams

I've sent you an invitation.
i see. it looks like it worked because i sent a test tweet through and it's visible. currently working on a tweet about us being open to more developers (yes i will specifically mention windows developers)
onetwothree wrote:Forget about Chris. I don't think he ever returns.
i think you're right but it's worth a shot, the worst thing i can get is a "No, sorry" from him in DMs
"Carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where the dimensions intersect... impossible to describe with our limited vocabulary."
- Dr. Wallace Breen

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin

Post #1307by onetwothree » 27.12.2022, 13:54

Small update on goals set in the first message. Green == done.

My midterm plans for user visible changes are:
* Modern font rendering. No more bitmap fonts, only TrueType! Support for RTL languages (hebrew, arab, persian). Paused.
* Not only Qt5 but other UI will be supported. Help needed.
* Better star rendering. In progress.
* Make interface more friendly to languages other than English. Paused.
* Plug-ins. We really should not put everything into the core. Such features like audio support or scripting languages should be implemented as plug-ins. Paused.
* Remove old rendering paths. 2018th is near its end, so why should we support ancient OpenGL 1 or ARB vertex programs? Even Radeon r300 cards manufactured 13 years ago support OpenGL 2.1. So let's remove anything but OpenGL 2.1. Done.
* Port Celestia to OpenGL ES 2.0 so it will run on low power hardware which doesn't have desktop GL (Rasberry PI & other ARM based HW). Done.
* When OpenGL ES is ready port and we have enough human power and enthusiasm then we'll start porting for Android. Done.

Future from a developer view:
* Modernize the codebase C++11. It's much better than previous standards. Done.
* Remove deprecated OpenGL features (immediate mode, fixed pipeline). We should have only modern GLSL based rendering. Done.
* Remove autotools (Done) and QMake. Add CMake instead. Done.
* Build Celestia as a library + small applications with GUI. Done.

Art Blos M

Post #1308by Art Blos » 27.12.2022, 15:17

onetwothree wrote:First of all full listing of locale directory.
Version from 25.12.2022.
How to get console output? If you are talking about "Shift + ~", then there is nothing interesting. And "Edit mode" did not give any result.

TheLostProbe

Post #1309by TheLostProbe » 27.12.2022, 15:53

TheLostProbe wrote:currently working on a tweet about us being open to more developers
done, see this link
i unfortunately was not able to figure out how to pin tweets through TweetDeck, so i guess for now i'm just going to have to RT that tweet once every few tweets
- Dr. Wallace Breen

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin

Post #1310by onetwothree » 27.12.2022, 19:47

Art Blos wrote:Version from 25.12.2022.
How to get console output? If you are talking about "Shift + ~", then there is nothing interesting. And "Edit mode" did not give any result.
I mean output to cmd.exe window

Art Blos M

Post #1311by Art Blos » 28.12.2022, 07:32

onetwothree wrote:I mean output to cmd.exe window
Can you elaborate on what you mean? I ran Celestia across command line to enable "Edit Mode".
I need clearer instructions, otherwise it's just a waste of time.

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin

Post #1312by onetwothree » 28.12.2022, 09:43

Art Blos wrote:Can you elaborate on what you mean? I ran Celestia across command line to enable "Edit Mode".
I need clearer instructions, otherwise it's just a waste of time.
Open cmd.exe window. Go to Celestia folder (use cd command) and execute Celestia (celestia-win.exe) and copy string written to the cmd.exe window.

Art Blos M

Post #1313by Art Blos » 28.12.2022, 13:12

onetwothree wrote:Open cmd.exe window. Go to Celestia folder (use cd command) and execute Celestia (celestia-win.exe) and copy string written to the cmd.exe window.
I have already done all this. Nothing else is displayed there even after closing the simulator.
cmd.png

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin

Post #1314by onetwothree » 28.12.2022, 21:25

It looks like you started celestia when another instance was running.

Art Blos M

Post #1315by Art Blos » 29.12.2022, 05:28

onetwothree wrote:It looks like you started celestia when another instance was running.
No, I know for sure that one copy was launched. Checked on two systems of different bit depth, everywhere effect is same. :insane:

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin

Post #1316by onetwothree » 29.12.2022, 08:59

Экранны здымак_2022-12-29_10-57-14.png
works for me. dunno why it doesn't work for you.

Art Blos M

Post #1317by Art Blos » 29.12.2022, 09:10

onetwothree wrote:works for me. dunno why it doesn't work for you.
What system was the screenshot taken on? Or is it just Wine?

By the way, I note that parameters of the Earth here are also in English.

Added after 33 minutes 47 seconds:
Console output doesn't work, only file output. Only these lines remain in the file:

Code: Select all

Error getting joystick caps.
Saving preferences . . .
Opened registry key

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin

Post #1318by onetwothree » 29.12.2022, 11:02

Art Blos wrote:What system was the screenshot taken on? Or is it just Wine?
Wine.

Art Blos wrote:By the way, I note that parameters of the Earth here are also in English.
I just use outdated translations.

Art Blos wrote:Console output doesn't work, only file output. Only these lines remain in the file:
That's ok. if celestia is not able to load res_XX.dll then there is a message about this.

Please check artifacts from https://github.com/CelestiaProject/Celestia/actions/runs/3800075166 and post here output.

Art Blos M

Post #1319by Art Blos » 29.12.2022, 17:45

onetwothree wrote:Please check artifacts from https://github.com/CelestiaProject/Celestia/actions/runs/3800075166 and post here output.
Output from an artifact windows-x86 with Qt5.

Code: Select all

Error getting joystick caps.
msgid==LANGUAGE lang=ru
ui translation=locale\res_ru.dll
langID=1049

Localization is complete, familiar icon is back.
However, lack of daylight on 32-bit system is worries. Can help "IgnoreGLExtensions" function in config file?
x86 QT5.PNG

Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin

Post #1320by onetwothree » 29.12.2022, 18:51

Put shaders.log here

Return to “Development”