MU Cas System

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
erostosthenes
With us: 21 years 9 months

MU Cas System

Post #1by erostosthenes » 29.09.2002, 22:17

not sure if this link will work, but here's a pic of the planets in the system i'm making around MU Cas.

MU Cas System

left-right = furthest-nearest

4th planet has oceans of hydrocarbons.
1st planet has high concentrations of gold.
Last edited by erostosthenes on 30.09.2002, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.

selden
Developer

Post #2by selden » 29.09.2002, 22:47

Depending on what you mean by "high concentrations", it sounds like it could be a system with high levels of heavy metals -- not friendly to unprotected carbon based life forms!
Selden

Topic author
erostosthenes

Post #3by erostosthenes » 29.09.2002, 23:24

selden wrote:Depending on what you mean by "high concentrations", it sounds like it could be a system with high levels of heavy metals -- not friendly to unprotected carbon based life forms!

let's say it has the same concetration as mercury, however recent volcanic activity has brought to the surface a thin veneer of gold and other precious metals. :wink:

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #4by Rassilon » 30.09.2002, 03:26

Nice I like them...One pointer if you dont mind...expand the distance of the rings on the M class planet...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Topic author
erostosthenes

Post #5by erostosthenes » 30.09.2002, 05:00

Rassilon wrote:Nice I like them...One pointer if you dont mind...expand the distance of the rings on the M class planet...

i didn't know M class planets existed outside of star trek :wink: . but i purposely kept them short since the tidal forces of a small planet like that wouldn't tear anything apart beyond right about where those rings end. i know it looks weird, but that's why small planets don't have rings.

Topic author
erostosthenes

Post #6by erostosthenes » 07.10.2002, 07:13

i added a quark star to the system at about a half light year distance from the star. looking for suggestions on the colour. i made it purple since that seems like fun colour for a star made entirely of quarks to be, but i'm open to other opinions on what it should look like. 60km radius.

MKruer

Post #7by MKruer » 07.10.2002, 08:31

If I remember correctly Quark Stars are stars that form after the collapse of a neutron star, but does not full collapse into a black hole. The Quark Stars are held together (or prevented from collapsing further) by the subatomic quark partials (quarks are what make up atom) An item of that density would be virtually a black hole so the give radius would be about 5 to 10k (little larger then a black hole) just outside the Schwarzschild limit.

As for the color, here is my guess biased upon what I know
Color would virtually pitch back, but with an ultra violet tinge (something like 95% of the energy is give off as x-rays). The amount of energy trapped by gravity may give the star it self a dull dark/white/purple glow. However I maybe incorrect.

Hope that helps

Where the link to your system?

Topic author
erostosthenes

Post #8by erostosthenes » 07.10.2002, 15:33

MKruer wrote:If I remember correctly Quark Stars are stars that form after the collapse of a neutron star, but does not full collapse into a black hole. The Quark Stars are held together (or prevented from collapsing further) by the subatomic quark partials (quarks are what make up atom) An item of that density would be virtually a black hole so the give radius would be about 5 to 10k (little larger then a black hole) just outside the Schwarzschild limit.

As for the color, here is my guess biased upon what I know
Color would virtually pitch back, but with an ultra violet tinge (something like 95% of the energy is give off as x-rays). The amount of energy trapped by gravity may give the star it self a dull dark/white/purple glow. However I maybe incorrect.

i was thinking UV as well when i made it purple, but on further reflection, i think this was a mistake. an object very close to the schwarzchild radius for its mass would only radiate in the infrared and radio wavelengths. in visible light, it would appear black i assume, or possibly a dull red. another thing to consider is that these stars aren't very hot. not even as hot as M-Class stars. there simply isn't any thermal energy involved when the particles have lost their fermion identities.

i can't link to my system cos i don't have a server to host the files on.

selden
Developer

Post #9by selden » 07.10.2002, 18:37

the wavelengths you'd see would depend on how much red-shift is involved. For example, what wavelengths would gamma rays be down-shifted to?

Also, infalling matter could certainly be producing lots of high-energy radiation before it's fallen very far into the gravity well.
Selden

MKruer

Post #10by MKruer » 08.10.2002, 01:56

selden wrote:the wavelengths you'd see would depend on how much red-shift is involved. For example, what wavelengths would gamma rays be down-shifted to?

Also, infalling matter could certainly be producing lots of high-energy radiation before it's fallen very far into the gravity well.

I don’t think so. The surface would still emit visible light. because the gravity would not be enough to swallow it. The color I can up with was biased upon neutron star which give off a white glow. I pumped up the color to the UV due to the addition gravity, and the need for very high subatomic excitement for the photons to escape..

Chandra observations of RX J1856.5-375 (likely a Quark Star) show it to blue white star.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1922574.stm
in an purple cloud
http://www.xware.ru/db/msg/apod/2002-04-14

Topic author
erostosthenes

Post #11by erostosthenes » 08.10.2002, 02:06

the chandra observer only sees in xray, and any colour information in any of its pictures is added afterward for gradients and sometimes just to make it look interesting.

thanks for the info, though, didn't realise it was only an 11km diameter. sounds like you added a quark star somewhere in your celestia as well?

MKruer

Post #12by MKruer » 08.10.2002, 04:04

erostosthenes wrote:the chandra observer only sees in xray, and any colour information in any of its pictures is added afterward for gradients and sometimes just to make it look interesting.
oops how did that one slip by me? Doh!

erostosthenes wrote:thanks for the info, though, didn't realise it was only an 11km diameter. sounds like you added a quark star somewhere in your celestia as well?

na, just did a search on google. If you dont know, research!

Topic author
erostosthenes

Post #13by erostosthenes » 12.10.2002, 20:01

Podsch?t

Added some comets to my system. If anybody wants to have and/or host this system, IM me on MSN - codyraskin@hotmail.com

Return to “Development”