Sound patch

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
ANDREA
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #81by ANDREA » 14.12.2006, 10:07

ANDREA wrote:
Vincent wrote:..... Andrea,
Unfortunately, OpenAL devs are not interested in including support for mp3 files since mp3 format is under a commercial license.
However, support for the Ogg Vorbis open source compressed format might be added to Celestia's sound patch. Ogg files are even smaller than mp3 files, and the quality is at least as good as with mp3 files. I don't have the time right now to make the changes myself, so if someone is interested in doing it (phoenix ? :wink: )
Thank you Vincent, I know Ogg files, and I see that phoenix has already replied positively to your solicitation. Many thanks to both of you :wink:
Bye Andrea :D

Sorry for pushing again this request, but I'm having problems when using big .wav files in my scripts. :oops:
I have checked that .ogg files, as suggested by Vincent, are much smaller that wav ones (and even smaller than .mp3 files), so I would like to know if there is any advancement on the ogg addition to wav files compatibility in Vincent's celestia_1.4.1_patch3.exe 8O
This before trying to cut and modify wav files in order to reduce their dimensions, a long work and surely with poor results.
Thank you for your patience. :wink:
Bye

Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #82by Vincent » 21.12.2006, 22:15

ANDREA wrote:I have checked that .ogg files, as suggested by Vincent, are much smaller that wav ones (and even smaller than .mp3 files), so I would like to know if there is any advancement on the ogg addition to wav files compatibility in Vincent's celestia_1.4.1_patch3.exe 8O

Andrea,

An option would be to use the SDL_sound/SDL_mixer open libraries that integrates support for ogg and mp3 files instead of the current OpenAL library. Here are some interesting links :
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/
http://gpwiki.org/index.php/C:How_to_se ... nvironment

That means that the sound patch should have to be rebuilt from scratch. So I can't promise you to work on this soon since I'm very busy at the moment with other projects. Of course, any contribution from other interested members would be very appreciated as this would make things go faster... :wink:
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

ANDREA

Post #83by ANDREA » 21.12.2006, 22:27

Vincent wrote: Andrea, An option would be to use the SDL_sound/SDL_mixer open libraries that integrates support for ogg and mp3 files instead of the current OpenAL library. ........That means that the sound patch should have to be rebuilt from scratch. So I can't promise you to work on this soon since I'm very busy at the moment with other projects. Of course, any contribution from other interested members would be very appreciated as this would make things go faster... :wink:

Vincent, I appreciate your search for solutions, you've been very kind, as usual.
I'm sure that one day the solution will come in, I'm a patient man. :wink:
Thank you again.
Bye

HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #84by Vincent » 21.12.2006, 22:48

Andrea,

In the meantime, I can help you edit your wav files. I think this could be done quite quickly since I've been editing and mixing music for years now in my own home studio. Could you make it possible for me to download your audio files ?
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

ANDREA

Post #85by ANDREA » 21.12.2006, 22:59

Vincent wrote:Andrea, In the meantime, I can help you edit your wav files. I think this could be done quite quickly since I've been editing and mixing music for years now in my own home studio. Could you make it possible for me to download your audio files ?

Sure. I'll upload some of them tomorrow in my webspace. :)
Thanks a lot.
Bye

Return to “Development”