How is OS X development proceeding?

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.

Post #61by Guest » 29.12.2002, 01:15

:(

Post #62by Guest » 30.12.2002, 23:32

What's needed is a working version in the CVS tree. Then many people can work on the OSX version at once - right now, that's what seems to be holding things up.

I'm a huge fan of celestia, and I want to be able to show it off at it's best on my favorite platform! :)

Mac X User

Post #63by Mac X User » 31.12.2002, 17:02

PLEASE get the port working for OSX! :cry: Mine actually runs.. but the interface is screwed GLUT something. I'm no programmer.. but designer and I freaked out at this application the first time I saw it. I stayed up all night and figured this would be as close as I would ever get to the stars.

8O Freaking Awesome App 8O .. please get it port guys!

Thanks to everyone for all the hard work so far!!
ca-

Post #64by Guest » 09.01.2003, 02:46

OK, so what about the Apple X11 announcement?
Any chance of running celestia in the X11 environment?
If not, would it be an easier port?

HankR

GTK+ for MacOS X

Post #65by HankR » 11.01.2003, 20:44

A MacOS X native (Aqua-based) version of the GTK+ toolkit is being developed. A version 0.1 alpha release intended for developers is now available. Perhaps this could facilitate a timely MacOS X port of Celestia 1.2.5?

http://www.osxfaq.com/Press/12-31-02/gtk-12-31-02.ws

- Hank

Post #66by Guest » 11.01.2003, 22:12

Is that the same package already available here?
I tried to build celestia via apple's x11 following the linux build instructions, but didn't get past ./configure... However, I'm completely inexperienced with X11.

BusError
With us: 22 years 6 months

It's worse

Post #67by BusError » 12.01.2003, 13:47

It's worse now, before, I even managed to compile celestia; now I can't even run the autocrap. I give up!

Code: Select all

$ aclocal
aclocal: configure.in: 14: macro `AM_ACLOCAL_INCLUDE' not found in library
$ automake
automake
configure.in:11: no proper implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found,
configure.in:11: probably because aclocal.m4 is missing...
configure.in:11: You should run aclocal to create this file, then
configure.in:11: run automake again.
configure.in:39: required file `admin/ltmain.sh' not found
macros/Makefile.am:33: INSIDE_GNOME_COMMON does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/share/automake-1.6/am/lang-compile.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/share/automake-1.6/am/lang-compile.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
$ autoconf
autoconf
configure.in:11: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.in:12: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER
configure.in:14: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_ACLOCAL_INCLUDE
configure.in:38: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN
configure.in:39: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
configure.in:147: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_GTK
configure.in:185: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL
configure.in:194: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_COMPILERS
configure.in:195: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_ENABLE_SHARED
configure.in:196: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_ENABLE_STATIC
configure.in:202: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PATH_KDE

Rigel
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #68by Rigel » 13.01.2003, 18:10

So we, Mac users, have to buy PCs with windows...

because that was our last chance to have Celestia working on MacOS X... :cry:

Topic author
julesstoop
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #69by julesstoop » 15.01.2003, 18:04

If so, I'd consider this a small disaster. I enjoy using Celestia, and would even consider paying a considerable amount of money for it, but never so would I buy a Windows PC (a just sold my last one, a pretty fast machine, for about 75 euro's).
I understand that the problem wth getting the new aqua interface to work on Jaguar is considerable, but how is it possible that all along the community new succesful mac titles are presented to us, without what seems to be much hassle?
What makes porting/rewriting Celstia so difficult? I've seen some nice exemples of Cocoa open GL implementations hangin around, most of which are Windows or Linux ports.

Maybe Chris himself is going to help us out? After all, he bought himself a Mac, some time ago...

Besides this, I can still work fine with the old GLUT version, but miss the more advanced features of more recent versions.
Lapinism matters!
http://settuno.com/

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #70by chris » 15.01.2003, 20:06

julesstoop wrote:If so, I'd consider this a small disaster. I enjoy using Celestia, and would even consider paying a considerable amount of money for it, but never so would I buy a Windows PC (a just sold my last one, a pretty fast machine, for about 75 euro's).
I understand that the problem wth getting the new aqua interface to work on Jaguar is considerable, but how is it possible that all along the community new succesful mac titles are presented to us, without what seems to be much hassle?
What makes porting/rewriting Celstia so difficult? I've seen some nice exemples of Cocoa open GL implementations hangin around, most of which are Windows or Linux ports.

Maybe Chris himself is going to help us out? After all, he bought himself a Mac, some time ago...

Besides this, I can still work fine with the old GLUT version, but miss the more advanced features of more recent versions.

Don't give up and buy a Windows PC yet . . . I am still planning on getting the Cocoa version working. It's just a matter of finding the time . . . Bob, where are you? :) I recently built the Cocoa version, but it's still crashing while loading .ssc files for reasons I don't yet understand.

--Chris

Topic author
julesstoop

Post #71by julesstoop » 15.01.2003, 23:42

Thinks for keeping hopes up high. I already envision myself with my brandnew dual PowerMac 970 1,8 GHz, somewhere in august, showing off Celestia to my friends...

btw, my offer for localizing to Dutch still stands.
Lapinism matters!

HankR

Recent MacOS X build results

Post #72by HankR » 18.01.2003, 05:28

I downloaded the latest source for Celestia from SourceForge and attempted a build with ProjectBuilder. After I removed several absolute path references to "/Users/bob" and added the new 'url.h' and 'url.cpp' source files to the project, the build succeeded. And, to my utter amazement, the app ran without crashing. Not only that, but it displayed a field full of stars, and the mouse controls seem to be working as well. There seems to be a problem with the solar system file loading, so no planets are visible. And the keyboard commands and menu controls don't seem to be working. But I got a lot farther than I expected. This seems promising...

- Hank

HankR

Post #73by HankR » 18.01.2003, 08:09

The problem loading the solar system file appears to be due to a glitch in finding "Sol" in the star catalog. I don't have a fix yet, but I kludged a work-around and -- voil?! Io is now in view. What a beautiful sight! This seems REALLY promising...

- Hank

HankR

Post #74by HankR » 18.01.2003, 10:17

I've got the single-character keyboard commands working now, which provides access to many of Celestia's features. It looks great. This is really fun to play with. There's a lot of work to be done yet, but there is hope. And that's all for tonight!

- Hank

Topic author
julesstoop

Post #75by julesstoop » 18.01.2003, 23:19

Wow! Good news. Thanks for saving my day,
Lapinism matters!

Topic author
julesstoop

Post #76by julesstoop » 21.01.2003, 22:26

@Hank R

Could you please publicize one of your working builds as soon as you have the feeling it's getting near beta-stage (or earlier...)? I'm very eager to try it, as I believe many of us are.

However, if you have the distinct feeling it's not ready or very unstable, I can understand you have to keep us waiting.

BTW, I might be able to arrange an FTP mirror in Holland. My students club has a direct 100 Mbit link to the Surfnet backbone in Leiden, and decent server hardware. Most of the sysadmins are Linux/OS X users, and I've allready introduced them to Celestia. They like the program, and though putting up public FTP servers is not part of their job, I might get them interested. If the community has a serious interest, I'm willing to ask them (at the bar, with a lot of beer...).
Lapinism matters!

HankR

Celestia 1.2.5 on MacOS X

Post #77by HankR » 22.01.2003, 00:33

As of this afternoon I have a MacOS X version of Celestia 1.2.5 which I think works well enough to be worth making available to alpha-testers. I was going to put it up on Rassilon's site, but he's now out of business. As soon as I find a place to make it available, I will. Believe me, I understand how anxious you are to have it. And you won't be disappointed; there's a lot of cool new stuff in 1.2.5. (The eclipse shadows are fabulous!) Be warned that it will be a fairly large download, roughly 32MB with data files or 14MB without.

- Hank

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 7 months

Celestia 1.2.5 on MacOS X

Post #78by chris » 22.01.2003, 00:38

HankR wrote:As of this afternoon I have a MacOS X version of Celestia 1.2.5 which I think works well enough to be worth making available to alpha-testers. I was going to put it up on Rassilon's site, but he's now out of business. As soon as I find a place to make it available, I will. Believe me, I understand how anxious you are to have it. And you won't be disappointed; there's a lot of cool new stuff in 1.2.5. (The eclipse shadows are fabulous!) Be warned that it will be a fairly large download, roughly 32MB with data files or 14MB without.

- Hank

There's always SourceForge . . . I can arrange for you to upload it to shatters.net, then I'll put it on SourceForge with the other distributions.

--Chris

HankR

Celestia 1.2.5 for MacOS X now on SourceForge

Post #79by HankR » 22.01.2003, 21:38

Chris has put an early MacOS X version of Celestia 1.2.5 up on SourceForge. The download url is:

http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourcefo ... MacOSX.dmg

This version is definitely pre-alpha, but a lot of stuff does work.

- Hank

Rigel
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #80by Rigel » 23.01.2003, 13:39

:D

I don't know who achieved to compile this OS X version of Celestia 1.2.5.

But thanks a lot to him and to Chris for the new beatiful things in this release.

I've just dowloaded this release and tried it. It still works on OS X 10.1. I don't have Jaguar.

I will make further tests of the release. That's very great !

Return to “Development”