Is it time to fork Celestia?

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.

Is it time to fork Celestia?

Yes
24%
No
36%
Never
27%
Don't know
12%

Total votes: 33

hjw
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #41by hjw » 28.04.2005, 11:15

The further question is.....Is there someone beside me that is interested in participating to this kind of contest?

I will participate if three conditions can be satisfied:

1. Job, wife and daughter give me some spare time
(I have to work on this myself :-) )

2. It's fun
(Let's see....)

3. OSs/executables/GUIs
- I'm UNIX-only
- making executables for all platforms is a problem
- if the "patch" (brrr... ugly word) involves changes to the GUI I won't/can't do it for MAC/Windows/GTK/GLUT/KDE.
Edit: Of course I can do the KDE-GUI.

Horst.

Topic author
Slalomsk8er
With us: 20 years 2 months

Post #42by Slalomsk8er » 28.04.2005, 11:58

I will take a look at the widget set of blender (Opengl widget set), maybe this can ease the porting to other platforms.
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (2.08GHz)
1GB DDR RAM 333MHz
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 AGP 8X

Gerbil94
With us: 19 years 5 months

Post #43by Gerbil94 » 28.04.2005, 11:59

t00fri wrote:I think you took my examples much too literally...

Yes, I think I understand your points now after reading your reply. Thanks.

t00fri wrote:Certainly I am aware of the intention. But my way of thinking, planning and approaching an aim has always been direct and most learn-effective. Hence this "contrived" line of approach (of getting coders in through the "backdoor") appears quite "remote" to me.

Haven't you've already identified the best approach for a major feature, the improved atmosphere rendering? As in:

"It would be really fun to have several cloud layers, no bugs at low altitude, no "hole in the sky", a much better "sun" rendering (see e.g. Stellarium!), haze working again under the OpenGL 2.0 path etc. "

Your post mentioned bugs in atmosphere rendering that you really want fixed; that can be handed over to coders immediately, can't it? The rest of it, improvements in the physical model can come about when the existing system is well-formed and bug-free.

I simply doubt that many of your "hypothetical new patch-coders" that you want to attract, will have the astronomy background of being able to code e.g. one general framework for all standard celestial coordinate systems and grids. They most probably don't know the astronomical conventions let alone the meaning and definition of the coordinate systems themselves. Furthermore, in Celestia all rotations are implemented by means of the quaternionic calculus. Most hobby coders will not even know what these are and do their own home-brewn rotations instead of using our fast quaternion library. And so on...

I would say firstly that you might be surprised, and second, that you don't even need many people like that (I think such a polymath development team would be highly unusual to have from the start, even in large professional projects like AIPS). Your own list separates people into OpenGL coders, atmosphere experts, and so on. Sure, there will be people like yourself whose expertise spans many areas, but as your list shows, you don't need many of those as long as at least someone from each area has the time to communicate with the others, which I guess is one of your points.

The rarest thing among "hobby coders" is most likely to be knowledge of Celestia's internals (well, that and free time) which they aren't going to bother to acquire without some incentive. What about making the task for the patch competition a bit more specific. What about having the competition aim to be to fix the bugs in atmosphere rendering that you mentioned (leave improved physics aside for a moment)? Fixing the hole in the sky and related bugs is surely almost entirely a Celestia coding issue; it would get people interested and familiar with some of the code and would avoid them tinkering with bits of Celestia that you don't want altered without some further planning. Access to more coders would get around some of the problems with lack of spare time that I expect many people have.

hjw

Post #44by hjw » 28.04.2005, 12:07

I will take a look at the widget set of blender (Opengl widget set), maybe this can ease the porting to other platforms.

Slalomsk8er,

uhhhh...., I won't bother with that right now.
Of course a single, platform-independet OpenGL GUI would make a lot of things easier (see stellarium), but in many cases this is a matter of taste...
There is a lot of stuff out there, but nothing that satisfied me so far. I've written one myself in c++, so I know what I'm talking about.

Horst.

Paolo
With us: 22 years

Post #45by Paolo » 28.04.2005, 12:15

hjw wrote:1. Job, wife and daughter give me some spare time
(I have to work on this myself :-) )
The same... ;-)

hjw wrote:3. OSs/executables/GUIs
- I'm UNIX-only
- making executables for all platforms is a problem
- if the "patch" (brrr... ugly word) involves changes to the GUI I won't/can't do it for MAC/Windows/GTK/GLUT/KDE.
Edit: Of course I can do the KDE-GUI.

Sorry :oops: I was not clear enough. The last rule of my proposal has not to be intended literarily. The executable must NOT be cross platform. The patch can be for a specific version of Celestia such KDE, Windows or Mac OS. The only request is that it must be executable. So everybody can easily rename the original Celestia and use temporarirly the patched version instead.

So if you would like to add a toolbar to the windows version of Celestia this should be fine.
If you want to add new cool graphics to the GLUT version is ok.
If you want to create a dialog for GTK in order to browse binary star systems will be ok.
If you want to improve the Galaxies shape (cross platform) helping Toti (see users forum) will be great!

These are some easy examples of what I mean for patches. Its hard to consider something more complex like the whole atmosphere rendering bug fixes as a patch.

If you are planning to add functionalities that requires to change the file format of Celestia Objects this should not be considered as a Patch.
Remember: Time always flows, it is the most precious thing that we have.
My Celestia - Celui

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #46by t00fri » 28.04.2005, 13:31

Gerbil94 wrote:
=["t00fri"]
I simply doubt that many of your "hypothetical new patch-coders" that you want to attract, will have the astronomy background of being able to code e.g. one general framework for all standard celestial coordinate systems and grids. They most probably don't know the astronomical conventions let alone the meaning and definition of the coordinate systems themselves. Furthermore, in Celestia all rotations are implemented by means of the quaternionic calculus. Most hobby coders will not even know what these are and do their own home-brewn rotations instead of using our fast quaternion library. And so on...

I would say firstly that you might be surprised, and second,
Great if true! I would /love/ to be surprised. I guess after 3 years in this forum I have a pretty good idea about most people's specific know hows in this context. Surprises can may be come from /new/ members like yourself, for example.

So "hobby coders" let us see who knows how the elements of a general rotation matrix are related to the 3+1 = 4 arguments in a Quaternion??

The rarest thing among "hobby coders" is most likely to be knowledge of Celestia's internals (well, that and free time) which they aren't going to bother to acquire without some incentive.

I still pretend that the rarest thing in our context is to find good C++ coders who know enough astronomy/astrophysics.

Bye Fridger

Topic author
Slalomsk8er

Post #47by Slalomsk8er » 28.04.2005, 13:42

Slalomsk8er,

uhhhh...., I won't bother with that right now.

Of course a single, platform-independet OpenGL GUI would make a lot of things easier (see stellarium), but in many cases this is a matter of taste...
There is a lot of stuff out there, but nothing that satisfied me so far. I've written one myself in c++, so I know what I'm talking about.

Horst.

Did you looked at Blender ( http://www.blender3d.com/ or http://www.blender.org/)?

I can not implement this but I can look if it is possible ;)
I will try to implement the time slots, that will be my patch if I get it to work.

http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/b ... 05097.html
Ton Roosendaal bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:40:40 +0100

* Previous message: [Bf-committers] Displacement mapping oddity
* Next message: [Bf-committers] blender toolkit [Re: blender sub-components]
* Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

Hi,

>>> 2. how difficult it is to reuse blender's GUI toolkit for another
>>> application? is there such projects around? is the toolkit
>>> available
>>> as standalone library or something?

It will be quite difficult, but possible. However, you might end up
then with a library that is not used by Blender itself. Main problem is
that the design for the Blender UI doesn't have the target to be useful
for other apps, making it easier to include widget elements that use
and work on specific Blender data only, assuming the settings are saved
in a Blender-like filesystem. Plus, the current state of the code is
still 'work in progress', the 2.3x UI project hasn't been finilized yet.

One of the other problems is that the lowest level Blender UI code,
especially in editscreen.c + mywindow.c, is polluted with history too
much. Best would be to cleanup that part first, including tackling the
antique internal event system (still queues with just 2 shorts per
event). The result of such a project then might be potentially (easier)
suited for usage in other applications too.

Such a project will require a *thorough* understanding of what this
code does though, not something I see someone doing easily.

> may be i should create WidgetsLiberation project at blender.org ?

You won't need such a facility until there's an actual team needing CVS
and mailing lists. Until then you can best just communicate on
proceedings via this mailing list. :)

-Ton-

------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Ton Roosendaal Blender Foundation ton@blender.org
http://www.blender.org
I think I have looked at it ;) if they do not make a lib out of the widget set it is use less for us :(
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

1GB DDR RAM 333MHz

Topic author
Slalomsk8er

Post #48by Slalomsk8er » 28.04.2005, 14:30

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

1GB DDR RAM 333MHz

Gerbil94

Post #49by Gerbil94 » 28.04.2005, 14:44

t00fri wrote:Great if true! I would /love/ to be surprised. I guess after 3 years in this forum I have a pretty good idea about most people's specific know hows in this context. Surprises can may be come from /new/ members like yourself, for example.

I have in the past made minor suggestions, but that was prior to the requirement for registration (so my username is new, my presence here is not). But if people suggest interesting problems it will often be the case that new people will turn up to examine and assist. Some people in this very thread have expressed willingness to get into Celestia programming. The more people there are involved the less vulnerable the project is to stagnation, which inevitably happens when people have real lives to attend to :)

So "hobby coders" let us see who knows how the elements of a general rotation matrix are related to the 3+1 = 4 arguments in a Quaternion??

Is such specific knowledge essential for coders? Presumably Celestia has something like a quaternion class that provides functions to convert between the two; all the coder has to know is that they want to convert a quaternion into a rotation matrix or vice versa.

If it is essential, it's information that can be discovered and coded based on any of the many webpages about quaternion rotations. Quaternions are becoming very widespread in "hobby coding"; they appear in lots of graphics libraries.

I still pretend that the rarest thing in our context is to find good C++ coders who know enough astronomy/astrophysics.

I agree it is probably the rarest thing. But is this really what's limiting progress, especially in the particular case of atmosphere rendering bugs?

I don't believe it can ever be limiting if the coders talk to the astrophysicists as per your suggestions. Having people who "speak both languages" is helpful, but surely not essential (and over time, such people will develop anyway through cooperative work).

hjw

Post #50by hjw » 28.04.2005, 14:56

Slalomsk8er,

well, I wrote "uhhh..." because the trouble is that having ONE GUI is
good, having MANY GUIs is bad. Every new feature that needs additional GUI elements needs to be done in MANY places,
every GUI needs it's own documentation, etc. ... And starting a GUI discussion right now, uhhhh.... you see?

But on second thought, I don't think that there will be many more features, so it won't matter.

Horst.

t00fri
Developer

Post #51by t00fri » 28.04.2005, 17:24

Gerbil94 wrote:

Is such specific knowledge essential for coders? Presumably Celestia has something like a quaternion class that provides functions to convert between the two; all the coder has to know is that they want to convert a quaternion into a rotation matrix or vice versa.

Certainly, there is a quaternion class. Since all rotations in Celestia are realized via quaternions a thorough understanding --far beyond superficial WEBsite introductions-- is indeed essential. Remember: The example with quaternions came up via Christophe's "harmless" proposal that somebody might attempt e.g. to write an alt-az readout patch.

We certainly would not want to specialize code on merely alt-az readout, as I pointed out. Rather we need a flexible universal framework for coordinate systems, grids and projections. For that purpose the coder needs precise knowledge of all the standardized astronomical sign conventions, some Celesltia pecularities and the subtle sign conventions inherent in the use of our quaternion class...

Now if it is really true that our "hidden" hobby coders can handle that sort of stuff easily, we can get to business right away.... ;-)

It is true, of course, that people with some 3d training or practical experience will surely have encountered quaternions before. But my impression was that (except 'dirkpitt') there are'nt many 3d guys around??

I agree it is probably the rarest thing. But is this really what's limiting progress, especially in the particular case of atmosphere rendering bugs?

The point with atmospheres is that Chris had planned since long to do a more or less complete recoding of atmospheres in Celestia. So, trying to fix the worst bugs that bother us at present, might well be a sensible workaround for the time being. But for sure, Chris will not be content with such fixes in the long run.

I don't believe it can ever be limiting if the coders talk to the astrophysicists as per your suggestions. Having people who "speak both languages" is helpful, but surely not essential (and over time, such people will develop anyway through cooperative work).

But here you confirm precisely what I was advocating further up: we got to form working groups containing the various needed experts for a given task. And then the experts got to communicate!

As to myself, I will certainly be uninterested in any other approach, notably the "patch competition idea". By the way: in my opinion, the previous "image competition" was also quite a failure. The rather few contributed images where not very original in subject, not exceeding in their quality and the enthusiasm was more than moderate...

The second round seems to have died half-way...

While I am not exactly a beginner in such matters, other people surely have a different opinion about this ;-)

Bye Fridger

Gerbil94

Post #52by Gerbil94 » 28.04.2005, 18:59

t00fri wrote:
Certainly, there is a quaternion class. Since all rotations in Celestia are realized via quaternions a thorough understanding --far beyond superficial WEBsite introductions-- is indeed essential. Remember: The example with quaternions came up via Christophe's "harmless" proposal that somebody might attempt e.g. to write an alt-az readout patch.

I don't think much beyond a webpage is typically needed. I think many people find four components simpler than nine! I have Jack B. Kuipers' weighty tome on quaternions and rotation sequences lying around somewhere, but I can't say I've ever had to do more than dip into it. As to the alt-az issue, potential coders would see that quaternions are involved as soon as they started looking at Celestia's code. They would start to get familiar with these things.

We certainly would not want to specialize code on merely alt-az readout, as I pointed out. Rather we need a flexible universal framework for coordinate systems, grids and projections. For that purpose the coder needs precise knowledge of all the standardized astronomical sign conventions, some Celesltia pecularities and the subtle sign conventions inherent in the use of our quaternion class...

Sure, but I don't think you need a super astronomer/coder hybrid for this. The coders could gain that information by the astrophysics people clearly listing the requirements of the coordinate system package. That, and it's in part a solved problem. I would be surprised if Starlink's AST library were not a useful base for Celestia's coordinate system work, even if you didn't use the library itself but just took it as a working hypothesis, so to speak.

Now if it is really true that our "hidden" hobby coders can handle that sort of stuff easily, we can get to business right away.... ;-)

Can we? (See below)

The point with atmospheres is that Chris had planned since long to do a more or less complete recoding of atmospheres in Celestia. So, trying to fix the worst bugs that bother us at present, might well be a sensible workaround for the time being. But for sure, Chris will not be content with such fixes in the long run.

Hm, in that case I don't see why there is an issue here at all. Doesn't the above apply to pretty much anything that people might want to do to advance Celestia? The first step for all of this stuff, bug fixes, expansion and so on depends on Chris having enough spare time to outline (or implement?) his ideas for any given feature or fix. The reason for the stagnation is then simply that Chris is very busy, and he is the key to the entire development effort. That's unfortunate, but there's nothing that we here can do about it.

But here you confirm precisely what I was advocating further up: we got to form working groups containing the various needed experts for a given task. And then the experts got to communicate!

Yes, I agree with you that this is the best way to make changes, as I said before. But I also think that a competition could bring benefits (see below).

As to myself, I will certainly be uninterested in any other approach, notably the "patch competition idea". By the way: in my opinion, the previous "image competition" was also quite a failure. The rather few contributed images where not very original in subject, not exceeding in their quality and the enthusiasm was more than moderate...

Well, the advantage of the patch competition is that it would help turn general C++ coders into coders who understand more of the internals of Celestia. If it turns out to be unpopular, you have lost nothing. If it turns out to be popular, and produces patches, Chris presumably has the final say on what (if anything) is accepted. The real value of the process will be in bringing coders up to speed on Celestia's code by giving them an explicit goal.

t00fri
Developer

Post #53by t00fri » 28.04.2005, 19:44

GOOD LUCK!

I'll get back to this theme in several weeks from now. Then we can do an evaluation of the results.

Bye Fridger

t00fri
Developer

Post #54by t00fri » 28.04.2005, 20:00

Oh yes,

as a small "encouragement" of what is often needed for "simple" coding tasks: for a binary star browser like I proposed it to exhibit the binary orbits in standard observational plane-of-sky coordinates our "hobby-coding competitors" should first derive the following rotation formulae from plane-of-sky coordinates to the ecliptic ones in Celestia (using spherical trigonometry):

Code: Select all

sub RotOrbits {
  local($ra_deg,$del_deg,$P,$a_arcsec,$i,$PA_of_Node,$Epoch_of_peri,$e,$Arg_of_peri,$dist_ly) = @_;
$del_rad = -$del_deg*$pi/180.0;
$ra_rad = $ra_deg*$pi/180.0 - $pi;
$eps = $pi/180.0*23.4392911;
$ii = $pi/180.0*(90.0 - $i);
$om = $pi/180.0*($PA_of_Node - 270.0);
$alpha = atan(cos($ii)*cos($pi/180.0*($PA_of_Node))/(sin($ii)*cos($del_rad) - cos($ii)*sin($del_rad)*sin($pi/180.0*($PA_of_Node)))) + $ra_rad;
if( sin($ii)*cos($del_rad)-cos($ii)*sin($del_rad)*sin($pi/180.0*$PA_of_Node) < 0 ) { $alpha = $alpha + $pi };
$delta=asin(cos($ii)*cos($del_rad)*sin($pi/180.0*$PA_of_Node)+sin($ii)*sin($del_rad));
$lambda=atan((sin($alpha)*cos($eps)+tan($delta)*sin($eps))/cos($alpha));
if( cos($alpha) < 0 ) { $lambda = $lambda + $pi };
$beta = asin(sin($delta)*cos($eps) - cos($delta)*sin($eps)*sin($alpha));
$alphaOm = atan(cos($om)/(-sin($del_rad))/sin($om)) + $ra_rad;
if( -sin($del_rad)*sin($om) < 0 ) { $alphaOm = $alphaOm + $pi };
$deltaOm = asin(cos($del_rad)*sin($om));
$lambdaOm = atan((sin($alphaOm)*cos($eps) + tan($deltaOm)*sin($eps))/cos($alphaOm));
if( cos($alphaOm) < 0 ) { $lambdaOm = $lambdaOm + $pi };
$betaOm = asin(sin($deltaOm)*cos($eps) - cos($deltaOm)*sin($eps)*sin($alphaOm));
$sign = $betaOm > 0? 1.0:-1.0;
$dd = acos(cos($betaOm)*cos($lambdaOm - $lambda - $pi/2.0))*$sign;
$Period = $P;
$SemiMajorAxis = $dist_ly*63239.7*tan($pi/180.0*$a_arcsec/3600.0);
$Eccentricity =  $e;
$Inclination = 90 - $beta/$pi*180;
$AscendingNode = $lambda/$pi*180 + 90  - floor(($lambda/$pi*180+90)/360.0)*360;
$ArgOfPeri = $Arg_of_peri + $dd/$pi*180 - floor(($Arg_of_peri + $dd/$pi*180)/360.0)*360;
$MeanAnomaly = 360*((2000.0 - $Epoch_of_peri)/$P - floor((2000.0 - $Epoch_of_peri)/$P));
}

This is from the Perl scripts I wrote to do various jobs in my binary star work. Obviously this requires a bit more than looking up introductory WEB pages...

NOTE: One single sign error is disastrous!

The only sensible strategy is to merge coding ability with other required know how through cooperation rather than competition!

Bye Fridger

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #55by ElChristou » 28.04.2005, 20:17

(I like the way this thread is evolving... I don't understand a peanut but it's cool to see again some coders dialog... :D)

(Gerbil94, can you put in your profil something saying that you are a coder? just for info...)

Paolo

Post #56by Paolo » 28.04.2005, 20:44

t00fri wrote:As to myself, I will certainly be uninterested in any other approach, notably the "patch competition idea". By the way: in my opinion, the previous "image competition" was also quite a failure. The rather few contributed images where not very original in subject, not exceeding in their quality and the enthusiasm was more than moderate...
t00fri wrote:GOOD LUCK!
t00fri wrote:as a small "encouragement" ...

As usual Fridger you are the Master of communications. :lol: :lol:

You are right the patch contest is a nonsense: it surely won't be effective.

Curse upon me I've aready done this mistake :!: I fogot again that Celestia is a serious thing for serious professionals. Having not graduated hobbyists that are patching this software gem won't be a good reference. Enlarge the development team to dogs and pigs won't be a good advertising. To share the honor of being in the list of official developers is not a thing for everybody.

So to Everybody. PLEASE Stop posting about patch contest in this thread. The thing is closed. I'm sorry for this waste of time. Consider it as a stupidity written by a fool in a day of madness. :lol:

t00fri wrote:The only sensible strategy is to merge coding ability with other required know how through cooperation rather than competition!

You professionals of C++ development and math trigonometry solicitate Fridger to start a serious alternative development activity since Chris won't be back and cooperate with him!
He is calling you from a long time!
He needs your help!
So hurry up!
Celestia needs you!
needs you !
eds you!
s you!
you!
ou!
u!
!

Hello?
Where are you?
Why nobody answers?
Are months that nothing happens. Why?

Perhaps because in order to involve somebody with the required competence at least the prize must be much more attractive :!: It is obvious that in the current conditions (complexity, disorganization, pessimism, closure) nobody with serious competence will be interested to be really involved in the Celestia development team. It will be a time wasting nightmare instead than something fun :!:

Is it really time to fork Celestia?
Last edited by Paolo on 28.04.2005, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

My Celestia - Celui

hjw

Post #57by hjw » 28.04.2005, 20:50

sub RotOrbits {

well, to lazy to use prototypes. If called with the wrong number of arguments it fails badly.

local(...) = @_;

well, you should use "my" instead of "local". And I hope that it is NOT necessary to tell why!

This is an ugly piece of code, honestly. The math may be ok. The coding is not professional. At least not by my standards. Sorry to say this.

Horst.

hjw

Post #58by hjw » 28.04.2005, 21:07

My last post to this thread... this is disgusting. As far as I know
a new pokemon game (ember?) is to be released this week.
I will buy it for my daughter and then play it myself. More fun :-)

Oh boy.

Paolo

Post #59by Paolo » 28.04.2005, 21:10

Fridger I've already said it to you.

If you won't start to spread positivity and anthusiasm around you I feel that the entire project is in great danger!

We all can agree with you. These solutions are not the best!

Beside the supid irony of my last post, you are right: the yours is the best solution. But is it possible now? Have we the required resources at present time?
The answer is NO!

So please fly down, shut the nose also if the smell is not as good it should be. Start working and coding and stop discussing. The team now needs everybody and specially the positive part of you. Instead Celestia will remain in stagnation and the others will continue to RUN!

My Celestia - Celui

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #60by ElChristou » 28.04.2005, 21:16

hjw wrote:My last post to this thread... this is disgusting...

Sorry I have lost something here... are you refering to your upper post?

Return to “Development”