The splash screen font sucks !

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Imy
With us: 17 years 8 months

Post #201by Imy » 13.11.2007, 12:55

It seems that making splash screen with Celestia has an unexpected constraint : the ratio between width and height of your window !

I finally maked a better version of my last image with a particular shape and tried it on Windows XP SP2 and then Celestia crashed. I enlarged my image with a transparent edge so that width is bigger than height and it ran ! :)

This time, I uploaded a png file with my desktop screenshot.

Is a way to move Version and Loading lines ?

We could continue to improve it with little round corners...

Hungry4info
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #202by Hungry4info » 13.11.2007, 15:29

t00fri wrote:Image

I, too, like this, but the atmosphere at the Saturnian north pole is too obvious, what if a mie feature is applied to Saturn before taking the picture? If nobody'll do it, I'll do it when I get home and take a screen shot. It may hide some of the blue at that pole though, but it may look overall much nicer.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Topic author
Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #203by Cham » 13.11.2007, 17:02

The composition of that picture is nice, but personaly I don't like the texture or the rendering of Saturn. It doesn't look realistic (especially because of the atmosphere).
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #204by selden » 13.11.2007, 17:15

My personal opinion is that the splash screen should show an image created using the standard Celestia distribution, and not one that's enhanced by using an Addon or otherwise 'shopped: I consider that to be false advertising. It'd also be nice if a Cel:// URL were included to take one to the same viewpoint.

Celestia includes plenty of spectacular views that could be used.
Selden

Topic author
Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #205by Cham » 13.11.2007, 18:06

IMO, I think it's better to stay around Jupiter. With its large moons around, we can have many spectacular visions, especially if a probe (Voyager 2 ?) is visible in the scene.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #206by ElChristou » 13.11.2007, 18:24

selden wrote:My personal opinion is that the splash screen should show an image created using the standard Celestia distribution, and not one that's enhanced by using an Addon or otherwise 'shopped: I consider that to be false advertising. It'd also be nice if a Cel:// URL were included to take one to the same viewpoint.

Celestia includes plenty of spectacular views that could be used.

I tend to agree...

rthorvald
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #207by rthorvald » 13.11.2007, 18:28

selden wrote:My personal opinion is that the splash screen should show an image created using the standard Celestia distribution, and not one that's enhanced by using an Addon or otherwise 'shopped.

If that is my picture, (not sure, but it looks like it) it is not "shopped". I never touch up screenshots unless i am making something else out of it.

But i agree, actually, a standard Celestia screenshot is more correct. And that should not be difficult, it is not as if there is no eyecandy in the default package!

- rthorvald

PS: the ultra-thin Helvetica style looks great. Very nice design!

Return to “Development”