Feature Requests for 1.2.5 Final

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Rassilon
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #21by Rassilon » 13.09.2002, 02:50

Do you program?
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #22by selden » 13.09.2002, 03:08

The only languages I can use without a reference manual are Fortran 77 and VMS DCL. I can usually tweak something programmed in C, but it's been a while since I did anything serious.
Selden

Rassilon

Post #23by Rassilon » 13.09.2002, 03:42

Yeah same here...BASIC and Borlands C++ I can do without a hitch...Suppose I should get back into it...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

BluMunky
With us: 21 years 9 months

Display XYZ coordinates of object and possibly a grid

Post #24by BluMunky » 13.09.2002, 14:00

When using .xyz files, it would be helpful to know where the existing bodies are located in this coordinate system. I assume that the coordinate system used in the .xyz file is the same as the one used internally by Celestia. It would be nice to have the XYZ coordinates of planets, etc. be displayed in the verbose mode. Also, in addition to the celestial grid already in place, an XYZ grid of the internal coordinates would be nice.

billybob884
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #25by billybob884 » 13.09.2002, 19:01

Rassilon wrote:Thanks again Chris and all involved in making my dream come true....The best damn space sim out there!!!

I think that having the best space simulator is just about everyone on this forum's dream :D
Mike M.

TacoTopia!

BluMunky
With us: 21 years 9 months

Outputing Distances and detecting collisions

Post #26by BluMunky » 13.09.2002, 20:07

While watching to see when Halley's Comet would come closest to Earth, by going to halley and then selecting Earth to see the distance, I thought of this possible feature. The ability for Celestia to output to a file, the distance between two selected objects. I could go back to the beginning of time in Celestia and then go forward at top speed, then I could take the generated file and sort it in Excel or something to determine when it came the closest.

Having Celestia tell you when two bodies collide would be nice too. This could be used to determine of course if a commet/asteroid is going to hit something. It could also be used to tell if that ficticious space station you just put it, is going to collide with ISS.

pessmith
With us: 21 years 8 months

More accurate path information for space probes, etc.

Post #27by pessmith » 10.10.2002, 12:51

1. I would appreciate more accurate path (orbital) information (from date of launch to present) for more man made space probes: Galileo, Cassini-Huygens, Voyager 1 and 2, Pioneer, Viking, Deep Space 1 and Appolo 11 - 13 just to name a few. It would also be nice if these objects only exist from the date of launch (Seeing Galileo still happily orbiting Jupiter all the way back in 1989 (the year of launch) spoils things a little).

2. An option to show the XYZ coordinates of objects in the information view would also come in handy, and so would the ability to jump to a given XYZ coordinate.

3. A navigation option that keeps both the object you are following and the object you are tracking within the camera's field of view would also be nice.

chris
Site Admin

More accurate path information for space probes, etc.

Post #28by chris » 11.10.2002, 17:54

pessmith wrote:1. I would appreciate more accurate path (orbital) information (from date of launch to present) for more man made space probes: Galileo, Cassini-Huygens, Voyager 1 and 2, Pioneer, Viking, Deep Space 1 and Appolo 11 - 13 just to name a few. It would also be nice if these objects only exist from the date of launch (Seeing Galileo still happily orbiting Jupiter all the way back in 1989 (the year of launch) spoils things a little).

Coming soon!

See this thread:

http://ennui.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1115

--Chris

mark02

Location of STC Files

Post #29by mark02 » 12.10.2002, 21:26

Just one quick question: I was wondering, where exactly are the STC files located in a Celestia directory (are they accessible) ?

Return to “Development”