The Solar System is all mine!

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 19 years 9 months

Post #21by PlutonianEmpire » 18.05.2005, 05:13

julesstoop wrote:
PlutonianEmpire wrote:So, looking up from the surface of venus, we'd see a very-close-to-white sky?

I'm not sure about that one, but your very first picture suggests that your Venus cloudmap looks orange when viewed from above (or are we looking at the surface with clouds switched off)

Actually, it was the venus atmosphere I was aiming at, not the cloud map or the surface, and was suggesting that the atmosphere should appear orange-ish when standing on the surface.
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

Omega_Parsec
With us: 18 years 11 months

Re: The Solar System is all mine!

Post #22by Omega_Parsec » 10.07.2005, 04:11

PlutonianEmpire wrote:Mwahahahahahahahaaahh!!!! Image :lol:

Anyhoo, I made some changes to the solarsys.ssc in the data folder, which I think would be cool if it was included into the default solarsys.ssc that comes with Celestia when one installs the program.

Mercury is unchanged.

For venus, it currently comes in with its looking like this:

In the ssc, i changed the atmosphere color to (hopefully) reflect the real life venus a bit more, so it (the atmosphere) now appears dark orange. (no screenshot)

Earth: Currently, it comes in looking like this.

I switched it to have a different cloudmap, and a different nightmap (one that has the auroras in it), and i got rid of the ugly "pollution" (the grey or brown haze and clouds) so that it would appear a bit more like it does in real life. Notice the increased contrast between clouds and sea. I also changed the atmosphere and haze colors so that it appears less "polluted", and increased the height of the atmosphere from 60 to 62 & lowered the cloud layer to 6.2.
Yes, the name was changed as well (don't ask).

It sure looks better, doesn't it? To me, it seems a lot more... natural. :D

Mars is fine, although you could make the haze color more reddish. And a good "dust storm" cloud map would be cool. :)

Jupiter is fine, save for the absence of a faint ring ;)

For saturn, uranus, and neptune, i got rid of the haze(s) entirely, because it looked like i was looking at space probe pics of them. (you know that bluish haze that appears at the edges of the planets in the pics? those are optical effects caused by the camera and other equipment, i believe)

I gave pluto and charon more "realistic" textures, and also gave Pluto a thin atmosphere with a few clouds.

of course, the textures would all come in 1k and 2k packages, as always, and people could download bigger textures from the motherlode by themselves.

i like the 2nd earth better than the 1st, except for the name thing. but it looks better all the same.

Return to “Development”