How is OS X development proceeding?

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
BusError
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #21by BusError » 18.07.2002, 22:17

Ok, Celestia Crocoa version fails to build in Jagwyre too. The dreaded glext.* from hell again, amongst others. Well actualy I'm sure it's apple's fault, but still :>

They support more extensions, so maybe we'll get the same rendering as the win* machines eventualy.

Anyone tried building Celestia with gcc-3.1? it's the default compiler in Jagwyre now, and it burps a zillion warnings too about imporpoer use of templates.

etrepum
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #22by etrepum » 18.07.2002, 22:46

Unless someone else wants to fix this, or wants to send me a copy.. 10.2 developers are going to be pretty much SOL until I can buy it in late August.

etrepum
Developer

Rendering Preferences

Post #23by etrepum » 22.07.2002, 05:02

Fixed PNG loading, did rendering preferences w/ serialization.. new screenshot that shows just about everything here (warning, fullscreen):

http://redivi.com/~bob/screenshots/celestia_cocoa_004.png

HankR

Celestia for OS X

Post #24by HankR » 23.07.2002, 02:50

Bob,

Looks great!

Does much else remain to be done, or does this mean we OS Xers will have a new version of Celestia available soon?

- Hank

P.S. The menubar clock suggests you've been burning the midnight oil in the service of the Celestia community. Thanks for all your hard work!

etrepum
Developer

Post #25by etrepum » 23.07.2002, 19:33

I have to write the input core, and locations browser, and some less important things..

as far as midnight oil goes, that's the <i>only</i> time I have left to burn :)

etrepum
Developer

Post #26by etrepum » 01.08.2002, 23:31

Added some mouse event handling, doesn't emulate 3 button mouse yet.

Project now builds (by default) with gcc 3.1, since that's what Jaguar is going to use by default AFAIK. Only tested with the April beta, someone with a Jaguar beta let me know if it compiles for you.

HankR

Celestia and Jaguar

Post #27by HankR » 02.08.2002, 17:11

Has anyone tried running Celestia on Jaguar?

I'm curious how Quartz Extreme (the new OpenGL-based graphics engine) will affect OpenGL apps like Celestia...

- Hank

BusError

Post #28by BusError » 02.08.2002, 22:49

No difference in the latest build that was available to normal users. Thats the one that is 6 months old or so (wink to etrepum ;-))
Doesn't use the new GL extensions like shaders etc. still no nightside etc.

apparently it supports 3 buttons now somehow, go figure.

etrepum
Developer

Post #29by etrepum » 03.08.2002, 00:11

BusError wrote:No difference in the latest build that was available to normal users. Thats the one that is 6 months old or so (wink to etrepum ;-))
Doesn't use the new GL extensions like shaders etc. still no nightside etc.

apparently it supports 3 buttons now somehow, go figure.

The GL extensions stuff will work once I get my hands on jaguar and can look at what's going on when it's running.. the support for the stuff is at least mostly there, probably just a little incorrect.

Yeah it supports 3 buttons, but doesn't yet emulate 3 buttons for 1 or 2 button mousers.

... and I'm certainly not stopping anyone from making a new GLUT port. If you want to see the Cocoa version sooner, you could start contributing.. I have very little time to give these days.

F
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #30by F » 28.08.2002, 22:33

So, any new info about the OS X version? How is the development going? Slow or can we expect a new version at the same time as the Windows 1.2.5 version?

/F

etrepum
Developer

Post #31by etrepum » 11.09.2002, 08:43

F wrote:So, any new info about the OS X version? How is the development going? Slow or can we expect a new version at the same time as the Windows 1.2.5 version?

/F

I might have some time to do some serious work on it first week of October as I'll be in the Netherlands (far, far away from the office).. but I make no promises.

It'll likely require 10.2+, and unfortunately with QE it's likely that there will be more texture memory issues unless running full screen (which makes it prohibitively hard to do the other windows that go along with it..).

Topic author
julesstoop

QE

Post #32by julesstoop » 11.09.2002, 12:52

Shouldn't there be a string somewhere in some property list, or deeper in the subsystem, to manually switch off QE? I wouldn't be suprised if someone were to find it these days.
Of course, it's not an ideal solution, but adding the info for the user on how to do this in a read me, would at least be some sort of a temporary solution. Providing that such functionality is indeed hidden somewhere in the OS.
Lapinism matters!
http://settuno.com/

boertje

Post #33by boertje » 11.09.2002, 13:01

btw:
Is there any way to get the latest sources/binaries for the cocoa-version? I'd really like to try it out :)

BusError

Post #34by BusError » 11.09.2002, 14:36

I vote for fullscreen myself ;-)

Last time I tried building, it wouldn't. there are still zillions of warning generated by gcc3, and the usualy glext* that gets broken. Unfortunately I don't have time to spend on that either :?

Rickster

Post #35by Rickster » 12.09.2002, 19:30

Hm. And I suppose if Celestia's GL context goes fullscreen, that disables the ability to use overlay windows and other QuartzExtreme features to enhance Celestia, as I've been thinking about doing. If it doesn't, you can have QE fun, but at a loss of texture quality. Either we all need 256MB graphics cards, or Apple has some issues to address for QuartzExtreme 2.0.

By the way, some thanks for Celestia are in order -- earlier this summer, it proved instrumental in helping us redesign the OmniWeb icon. 3D modeling apps weren't all that helpful because their texture-mapping options didn't match the world map projections we were using. See http://icons.cx for the design evolution of the current icon -- it started with a pseudo-realistic one derived from a couple of Celestia screenshots. :)

Topic author
julesstoop

Please not just fullscreen

Post #36by julesstoop » 15.09.2002, 21:23

At least, in that case, give us an option of choosing between fullscreen or windowed. I myself particularly dislike fullscreen apps, even if they run better. Even the few open GL games I play, I run in a windows.
Lapinism matters!
http://settuno.com/

Rodago
With us: 22 years

Menus

Post #37by Rodago » 17.09.2002, 05:46

Well, whenever the new version comes out, I hope it does soon.. Menus in the old version don't sem to work at all in 10.2, and I fan't figure out how to turn on galaies using the keyboard. *eep* I wish I could help, but I'm afraid I just don't know much about this stuff.
-Rodago

boertje

Post #38by boertje » 17.09.2002, 10:45

I just remembered:
Didn't Chris buy a G4 last months? So maybe we can expect a better support for osx in the next versions. Might that be true Chris? Cause it would be really cool. Still I'm stuck with my mobile radeon 7500 which isn't too well supported in celestia but a cocoa-version where I don't need to switch keyboard layout to change some settings... man, i can only dream about it :)

etrepum
Developer

QE

Post #39by etrepum » 19.09.2002, 03:48

julesstoop wrote:Shouldn't there be a string somewhere in some property list, or deeper in the subsystem, to manually switch off QE?

Sure, it's there, but you have to turn it off entirely and reboot (to the best of my knowledge, haven't dug too hard though).

etrepum
Developer

Post #40by etrepum » 19.09.2002, 03:52

boertje wrote:I just remembered:
Didn't Chris buy a G4 last months? So maybe we can expect a better support for osx in the next versions. Might that be true Chris? Cause it would be really cool. Still I'm stuck with my mobile radeon 7500 which isn't too well supported in celestia but a cocoa-version where I don't need to switch keyboard layout to change some settings... man, i can only dream about it :)

All of the menu shortcut keys are obviously going to be remappable by localizing or manually changing the nibs by virtue of using Cocoa instead of GLUT (which I hear, is pretty broken in 10.2, I haven't tried running my old port of Celestia in a few months).

The other keys I'm hoping to have remappable by a plist file, which would also be localizable (for defaults) and user-configurable somewhere. I just don't know if I'm going to make it that high of a priority for the first cocoa release.

Return to “Development”