How is OS X development proceeding?

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Startyger
With us: 22 years 4 months

I'm Waiting for the Newest Mac version too

Post #141by Startyger » 16.10.2003, 03:06

Yessssirree! I am i am i am... Mac mac mac mac mac....... is it ready.... for Panther? I can't get neptunes rings to show up right.. or jupiters..... maybe i need to get a new video card....
"then He smiled at me...pa-rump-a-pum-pum..... me and my drum"

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #142by selden » 16.10.2003, 05:29

Technically, the rings of Jupiter and Neptune are handled the same as the rings of Saturn and Uranus. They're just a *lot* fainter.

Put the png images in Celestia's textures/medres folder and edit solarsys.ssc to modify the Jupiter and Neptune entries so they're similar to either Saturn or Uranus.

I put a picture of Jupiter and its rings on one of my gallery pages: http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/gallery-001.html#11 I had to provide some backlighting before I could see them, though.
Selden

Matt McIrvin
With us: 22 years 6 months

Uranus

Post #143by Matt McIrvin » 27.10.2003, 03:04

I think that Uranus's rings as shown in Celestia are shown much brighter than they really are. (I suppose this leads back to the whole issue, discussed many times before, of how one would handle brightness realistically in Celestia, given the immense range of brightnesses of objects in space. The old saying is that almost everything in the universe is either too dim to see or too bright to look at.)

Return to “Development”