Compile with Visual Studio .NET 2003 (NOT from command line)

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
TraVis
With us: 17 years 7 months

Compile with Visual Studio .NET 2003 (NOT from command line)

Post #1by TraVis » 05.02.2007, 15:43

Hi.
I'm trying to create a solution with Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 because I would like to debug Celestia in Visual Studio:

- I downloaded the current sources of Celestia (1.4.1)
- I converted all the .dsp from UNIX format to PC format
- I opened it with Visual Studio 2003 and I converted the .dsw in a solution (.sln)
- All the projects compiled without problems, except for the project "Celestia". When I built this project all the .cpp were correct, but there were some linking errors. In the following lines I copied only 6 of the 45 unresolved externals:

Celestia error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > __thiscall DSODatabase::getDSOName(class DeepSkyObject const * const &)const " (?getDSOName@DSODatabase@@QBE?AV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@ABQBVDeepSkyObject@@@Z)

Celestia error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall DSODatabase::findVisibleDSOs(class OctreeProcessor<class DeepSkyObject *,double> &,class Point3<double> const &,class Quaternion<float> const &,float,float,float)const " (?findVisibleDSOs@DSODatabase@@QBEXAAV?$OctreeProcessor@PAVDeepSkyObject@@N@@ABV?$Point3@N@@ABV?$Quaternion@M@@MMM@Z)

Celestia error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl FillinRotationElements(class AssociativeArray *,class RotationElements &)" (?FillinRotationElements@@YAXPAVAssociativeArray@@AAVRotationElements@@@Z)

Celestia error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "bool __cdecl ParseDate(class AssociativeArray *,class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const &,double &)" (?ParseDate@@YA_NPAVAssociativeArray@@ABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@AAN@Z) referenced in function "class Body * __cdecl CreatePlanet(class PlanetarySystem *,class Body *,class AssociativeArray *,class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const &,enum Disposition,bool)" (?CreatePlanet@@YAPAVBody@@PAVPlanetarySystem@@PAV1@PAVAssociativeArray@@ABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@W4Disposition@@_N@Z)

Celestia error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "bool __cdecl WGLExtensionSupported(class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const &)" (?WGLExtensionSupported@@YA_NABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@Z) referenced in function "bool __cdecl SetDCPixelFormat(struct HDC__ *)" (?SetDCPixelFormat@@YA_NPAUHDC__@@@Z)

Celestia error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "class ColorTemperatureTable * __cdecl GetStarColorTable(enum ColorTableType)" (?GetStarColorTable@@YAPAVColorTemperatureTable@@W4ColorTableType@@@Z) referenced in function "public: void __thiscall CelestiaCore::charEntered(char const *,int)" (?charEntered@CelestiaCore@@QAEXPBDH@Z)

I also tryed to modify the properties of each project as shown in this mail http://www.celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5305, but it didn't work.

Is there anybody who tried to do the same before me? I read on the forum that the current .dsw is not upgradated. Is there a simple way to correct it?
Or is there an oldest version (hopefully not too old :) ) of Celestia wich compile correctly in Visual Studio 2003 (not from command line)?

Thank You :)

makc
With us: 17 years 8 months

Post #2by makc » 08.02.2007, 10:45

I couldn't even convert to solutions :( perhaps, if you solve above problem, you could donate new solution/project files to the team so we all would use it?

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #3by t00fri » 08.02.2007, 11:05

You certainly misconfigured something. I am compiling Celestia@CVS with VS++ 2003.Net since years without any problems whatsoever.

It can't be that hard to read the VS instructions carefully and then set up the project files properly. Otherwise, the whole Microsoft sales idea would be a failure ;-) . Since quite a lot of files are generated (given that the solution 'Celestia' contains a number of projects, each with its own set of project files) you will have to go on trying yourself, I am afraid.

Anyway, after reading the VS instructions I just proceeded without encountering major problems. So there is still hope ;-) . Notably since I am mainly working with Linux ...

Bye Fridger

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years 1 month

re

Post #4by John Van Vliet » 10.02.2007, 07:11

about a year ago i switched to linux so my Microsoft Visual Studio 2002.net
.dsw and .sln files are out of date ( and are now giving errors)
I do have a " every thing you nead " zip file that was on my site
i can upload it to file factory tomarow ( sat) if you want
I do like using Fedora 6 , so much less hassale

Topic author
TraVis
With us: 17 years 7 months

Post #5by TraVis » 12.02.2007, 14:54

I compiled version 1.4.1 with MSVS .NET 2003, but still there are some problems. If I manage to solve them, I will post my .sln and .vcproj files :)

Thanks, bye

Return to “Development”