Keplerian Orbits XML Schema Completed

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
dtessman
With us: 22 years 3 months

Keplerian Orbits XML Schema Completed

Post #1by dtessman » 10.11.2002, 07:41

The Keplerian Orbit XML Schema standard is completed and is now online. Thanks to everyone who participated!
Dave

SpaceGear.Org
Open Standards for Space Flight Simulation(tm)

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #2by chris » 11.11.2002, 06:28

This looks good . . . I have just a couple suggestion to offer.

Make it possible to provide the time of periapsis as an alternative to mean anomaly and the distance at periapsis as an alternative to semi-major axis. These values are useful for describing parabolic and hyperbolic orbits (eccentricity >= 1)

The default epoch should be defined--I'd suggest 12:00 UT on 1 Jan 2000.

--Chris

Topic author
dtessman
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #3by dtessman » 11.11.2002, 22:52

chris wrote:Make it possible to provide the time of periapsis as an alternative to mean anomaly and the distance at periapsis as an alternative to semi-major axis. These values are useful for describing parabolic and hyperbolic orbits (eccentricity >= 1)
I have added time of periapsis passage. Distance at periapsis is already there (Please let me know if the doc is unclear).
chris wrote:The default epoch should be defined--I'd suggest 12:00 UT on 1 Jan 2000.

Agreed. KeplerianOrbitType inherits the epoch of the orbital body whose orbit it describes. If that Orbital body does not define an Epoch or inherit one from its parent, then it would be the default of 12:00 UT on 1 Jan 2000.
Last edited by dtessman on 13.11.2002, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

SpaceGear.Org

Open Standards for Space Flight Simulation(tm)

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #4by Rassilon » 11.11.2002, 23:23

What I would like to see is the ability for Celestia to compute all orbital elements itself...plop in 9 planets and based on the above laws would place them in the system by default if there is no variables scripted...It sort of does this now but very very basic...This would save alot of time...I know I spend more time calculating all the variables vs creating the planets themselves in Photoshop...Plus it can give us a better look at whats to be expected of planets around M, B or even binary class stars...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

MKruer
With us: 22 years

Because I Can and DID!

Post #5by MKruer » 13.11.2002, 07:39

Ok this is just a quick update on the XML schema. That I have been working on. Sorry Dave you never replied to my messages!

This incorporates the basic Orbital data plus the extended data on the planets then selves. I an becoming a bit worried about how much I have crammed into each field header, but this was to avoid the code from becoming so blotted no one could ever read it. Let me know what you think.

http://www.linkline.com/personal/mkruer/

Return to “Development”