Satellite tracking overlay

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
Joe
With us: 20 years 4 months

Satellite tracking overlay

Post #1by Joe » 24.08.2006, 20:12

All

I wonder a displaying overlay for tracking spacecrafts and moons would be a useful feature, like this:
Joe
8O

RocketMan@JSC
With us: 19 years 5 months

Post #2by RocketMan@JSC » 24.08.2006, 21:00

Yes that would be a useful feature--I had the same thoughts!

STK has an almost identical 2D graphical display. I bet it would not be too hard to implement.

Scott

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #3by selden » 24.08.2006, 21:38

Remember that Celestia is optimized for 3D realtime, rather than 2D with memory. They're quite different requirements.

I think a substantially different new orbit path drawing routine would have to be written: one that draws lines at the radius of the parent body's surface in realtime (rather than calculating the path once in advance as it is now) and which limits the total length of the path to three orbits; or, better, to the value of some parameter specified in the config file.
Selden

Topic author
Joe
With us: 20 years 4 months

Post #4by Joe » 25.08.2006, 14:38

selden wrote:Remember that Celestia is optimized for 3D realtime, rather than 2D with memory. They're quite different requirements.

The drawing data does not have to be generated separately, it can recycle the 3D realtime data from the normal rendering buffer. Yes, extra memory is needed for plotting the path curve like this:

selden wrote:I think a substantially different new orbit path drawing routine would have to be written: one that draws lines at the radius of the parent body's surface in realtime (rather than calculating the path once in advance as it is now) and which limits the total length of the path to three orbits; or, better, to the value of some parameter specified in the config file.

Yes, you are 100% right, Selden. But again the data of the orbit path is created anyway in the realtime rendering process, all it needs is a plotting routine that utilise this data.
Joe

8O

Return to “Development”