Celestia 1.4 final?

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #21by Malenfant » 13.10.2005, 16:42

rthorvald wrote:This isn??t simple... Just think for a moment on what an enormous investment Celestia must be to Chris. Even if he is tired of the project, that does not go away.

If it's such an "enormous investment" to him you'd think he would have said something by now. Whether he forks it himself or someone else does it makes no real difference - either way "his" version remains intact while development of an offshoot derived from it can continue. It makes no practical difference whether he decided to do this or not.

You cannot seriously believe Chris will hand over Celestia to someone else, and continue to host the project indefinitely... A new infrastucture for the devs might become neccecary (CVS, hosting, comm).

That just comes out naturally from the forking doesn't it?

Not to mention preserving the enormous knowledge base of the forums...

That might be a problem. If he's unwilling to continue to host the forums here then new forums would have to be set up somewhere else. Though frankly, given the lack of response (or interest?) from him lately he may never even notice the shift in direction.

Topic author
hank
Developer
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #22by hank » 13.10.2005, 17:09

t00fri wrote:If we do not find a way to make Chris officially transfer the CVS decision making to someone else, NOTHING is gained, even if we manage to get his OK for Celestia FT to become official!

Is there actually anyone willing and able to take responsibility for CVS decision making if Chris agreed to officially transfer it?

- Hank

wcomer
With us: 21 years 3 months

Post #23by wcomer » 13.10.2005, 21:57

My analysis may seem callous, but it isn't. Quite the opposite actually.

I suspect that it would also truly be in Chris's best interest to fork the project and take it off his hands. His lack of communications doesn't indicate to me a lack of interest what it indicates is that he is stuck with too many commitments and feels guilty about leaving this one hanging. Or at least that is what it would indicate were it me. If you fork the project you will be relieving Chris of the burden and it will, contrary to what you might expect, make it easier for him to return to development of the project later.

Maybe this sort of analysis is too personal and should be put into PM's. Let me know and I will.

-Walton

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #24by t00fri » 13.10.2005, 22:07

Walton,

I tend to agree with you in that there are still plenty of emotions involved as to Chris' relations to Celestia. Chris has been deeply appologizing repeatedly in PM's which I interpreted like you did. Anyway that's why I want to proceed carefully without loosing the target out of sight ;-)

Bye Fridger

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years

re

Post #25by John Van Vliet » 18.10.2005, 06:32

well i have an idea . While we wate lets do some house cleaning on the code .It DOSE nead a good vacuming and dusting and it's floor is in nead of washing ( i did house cleaning today). also get ft1.1 to 1.2 or 1.3 .
by then we should know if cris is going to add it or not .

Topic author
hank
Developer
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #26by hank » 18.10.2005, 14:46

t00fri wrote:Walton,

I tend to agree with you in that there are still plenty of emotions involved as to Chris' relations to Celestia. Chris has been deeply appologizing repeatedly in PM's which I interpreted like you did. Anyway that's why I want to proceed carefully without loosing the target out of sight ;-)

Bye Fridger

I think it would be fairly straightforward to put the FT source into CVS at SourceForge on an "experimental" branch, which would be separate from the mainline of development, but could be easily merged into the mainline when everyone (including Chis) agreed that it was ready to be made a part of Celestia "officially". In the meantime Fridger could make updates to the FT branch to fix bugs and add new features as he and Toti make progress. The experimental FT source would be available for others to download to build for themselves to assist with testing. This isn't very different from what we're is doing now, except that the new code would be available via CVS at SourceForge. It would also make it possible for other authorized developers (those with write access to CVS) to make minor bug fixes (e.g. for platform-specific problems). This might be a reasonable way to proceed, at least for the near term.

- Hank

XRaiderV1X
With us: 19 years 3 months

small suggestion for a new feature

Post #27by XRaiderV1X » 16.11.2005, 19:56

the ability to adjust the resolution(i.e. low, medium, high) and have those settings automaticly applied to everything, even the add-ons for those of us who are mostly clueless on how to do that ourselves.
anything and everything that could possibly go wron can and probably will

Return to “Development”