Is the next build dead?

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
Unfound
With us: 19 years 1 month

Is the next build dead?

Post #1by Unfound » 05.09.2005, 22:18

Well, did it run away, did it die, or is the next Celestia release still being developed?
Just passin' through.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Re: Is the next build dead?

Post #2by t00fri » 06.09.2005, 07:41

Unfound wrote:Well, did it run away, did it die, or is the next Celestia release still being developed?

yes ;-) [make your choice]

Bye Fridger

Malenfant
With us: 19 years

Post #3by Malenfant » 06.09.2005, 19:57

Fridger suggested a while back that Chris said that 1.4.0pre7 was on the way 'this weekend' (of course this was several weekends ago now...). I don't think that's actually surfaced yet.

I'm not hopeful. It looks like Celestia is devolving into lots of little projects with little differences that individuals are compiling themselves, rather than a single core project that everyone is using. :(

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #4by t00fri » 06.09.2005, 22:03

Malenfant wrote:Fridger suggested a while back that Chris said that 1.4.0pre7 was on the way 'this weekend' (of course this was several weekends ago now...). I don't think that's actually surfaced yet.

I'm not hopeful. It looks like Celestia is devolving into lots of little projects with little differences that individuals are compiling themselves, rather than a single core project that everyone is using. :(

No. (See my post in ElChristou's thread)
http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7907

Bye

Malenfant
With us: 19 years

Post #5by Malenfant » 07.09.2005, 00:10

t00fri wrote:No. (See my post in ElChristou's thread)
http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7907

While it's mildly reassuring that something is going on, I'm not exactly holding my breath over when it comes out. As I said, pre7 was promised weeks ago and still hasn't seen the light of day, and I guess that was initially announced because it appeared that it could be released soon - yet so far it hasn't.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if a new version comes out this month.

Topic author
Unfound

Post #6by Unfound » 10.09.2005, 00:37

I think I get the message. Thier is no work being done on the next version, is there? And where is this "Chris" guy everyone keeps talking about? :|
Just passin' through.

hank
Developer
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #7by hank » 10.09.2005, 01:19

Unfound wrote:I think I get the message. Thier is no work being done on the next version, is there? And where is this "Chris" guy everyone keeps talking about? :|

Chris Laurel is the creator of Celestia. The current verison of Celestia was mostly developed by Chris, although others made important contributions. Unfortunately, for a long while now, due to other demands on his time, Chris has not been able to devote himself to Celestia as he once did. This has greatly slowed the progress of the Celestia software, which was quite rapid when Chris was able to participate more actively. Everyone (including Chris, I'm sure) hopes he'll eventually find the time to resume his former level of activity on Celestia.

Meanwhile, other contributors are continuing development of the Celestia software. It is not clear when their work will be integrated into the next "official" version, but several experimental releases have been made available by various volunteers, and this practice seems likely to continue. Also, many contributors continue to provide "add-ons" which enhance the Celestia experience, although they are distributed separately from the software itself.

- Hank

Topic author
Unfound

Post #8by Unfound » 10.09.2005, 19:10

So, why don't a consortium of theese volunteers meet and begin development on the next version without Chris (but still get his OK for any major additions/revisions in the code)? :?
Just passin' through.

hank
Developer
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #9by hank » 10.09.2005, 19:53

Unfound wrote:So, why don't a consortium of theese volunteers meet and begin development on the next version without Chris (but still get his OK for any major additions/revisions in the code)? :?

I think the problem isn't beginning development on the next version (a lot of work has already been done), it's finishing development on the next version. Getting an OK from Chris is only part of the problem. The other part is finding people to do the integration, debugging, etc.

- Hank

Topic author
Unfound

Post #10by Unfound » 11.09.2005, 01:44

Are the aforementioned tasks particularly difficult?
Just passin' through.

Return to “Development”