Feature Requests for 1.2.5 Final

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
jrobert
With us: 21 years 10 months

Feature Requests for 1.2.5 Final

Post #1by jrobert » 06.09.2002, 02:17

Chris,

Could you expand the Star Browser two ways:

1. Make the dialog box sizable (should be easy to do)

2. Expand the max amount of stars listable to perhaps 10,000 or more

This isn't asking too much, I hope... :lol:

redshift

Post #2by redshift » 06.09.2002, 17:57

Is there a way to change the resolution of the used texture in function of the visible screen size of the object ?
I don't know if it's hard to code, but i think that many people will be interrested by this feature :-)

Peter32100123

Navigational control and instrument display panel

Post #3by Peter32100123 » 06.09.2002, 18:37

Chris, could you include planetary gravity effects, attitude control of the spacecraft (pitch, yaw, and roll), thrust control, and an instrumentation panel that displays the level of thrust (1G, 2G, 3G, etc.) and a numerical attitude display (e.g. a pitch +5 degrees, a yaw of -10 degrees and roll of +20 degrees wirth respect to the center of the target object)? Doing that would give us true navigational control over the spacecraft.

Topic author
jrobert

Navigational control and instrument display panel

Post #4by jrobert » 06.09.2002, 18:54

Peter32100123 wrote:Chris, could you include planetary gravity effects, attitude control of the spacecraft (pitch, yaw, and roll), thrust control, and an instrumentation panel that displays the level of thrust (1G, 2G, 3G, etc.) and a numerical attitude display (e.g. a pitch +5 degrees, a yaw of -10 degrees and roll of +20 degrees wirth respect to the center of the target object)? Doing that would give us true navigational control over the spacecraft.

I think it's safe to say that planetary gravity effects won't be a part of 1.2.5 Final. Mainly what I meant by starting this thread is for things that are able to be done before the final release of 1.2.5 like modifying the star browser only so slightly to accomodate displaying more stars. It's purely conjecture at this point, but things like planetary gravity may be a part of 1.2.6 or 1.2.7. Those future versions though are a long ways away.

Darkmiss

Post #5by Darkmiss » 07.09.2002, 05:45

Can you put in flyable space craft, and Enemy AI craft
so we can have battles in space too :D

And can you simulate the BIG BANG 8O

Sorry ill get me coat... :roll:
CPU- Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad ,2.40GHz
RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2
Motherboard- Gigabyte P35 DQ6
Video Card- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS + 640Mb
Hard Drives- 2 SATA Raptor 10000rpm 150GB
OS- Windows Vista Home Premium 32

Sum0
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #6by Sum0 » 07.09.2002, 06:26

I'd love it if we could finally fix the "hole in the sky" atmosphere/sky problem. Also maybe an ambient light slider and night texture extension into daytime slider?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Darkmiss

Post #7by Darkmiss » 07.09.2002, 08:53

yes that is one thing i really would like fixed
is the nightside lights not showing on the dayside

RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2

selden
Developer

Post #8by selden » 07.09.2002, 10:57

For those asking about realtime spacecraft functions:
Are you aware of Orbiter?
http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/orbit.html

If only the two could be merged...
Unfortunately, the author of Orbiter uses DirectX instead of OpenGL. He realizes now it was a mistake, but it's too late to switch.
Selden

Mad Boris

Post #9by Mad Boris » 07.09.2002, 22:01

Chris, could you include planetary gravity effects

There's already an add-on for gravity effects to the observer - search the forum, or try the add-on repository.

Could we have an option to turn off moon orbits please ? I like them, but they do tend to clutter the screen around the gas giants.

Henrik, the swedish boy

subject? do i need a subject?

Post #10by Henrik, the swedish boy » 08.09.2002, 19:32

now the latest suggestion was one of the better.
its my first time on the forum and i juts discovered Celesta, its awesome. much better than OpenUniverse, even tho OpenUniverse has Discovery from A space Oddysey :/ and u can control it...
anyway, did u do this all by urself, <insert author of Celesta's name here>??

Darkmiss

Post #11by Darkmiss » 09.09.2002, 15:07

Even though I was kidding about the space craft... :(

Orbiter is a very nice program, thanks for the link, Selden

RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2

TK274

Post #12by TK274 » 10.09.2002, 08:06

mmm the one I really would like to see is a feature that makes the stars darker if you are approaching a planet or a star (reflective light of the planet should darker the sky around).
off course it happens the opposite wen you are looking at the shaded part of a planet.
This feature off course shoud be selectable. in some ways is a feature to add realism to the simulation.
Tk274
501st Italica garrison : http://www.501italica.com
http://www.501st.com
yes I know, we are totally mad :)

ogg
With us: 21 years 11 months

Load constellation borders and other schematic marker files

Post #13by ogg » 10.09.2002, 08:43

Has anyone tried moving out from Sol with the new constellation borders turned on? it's a cool 3d sphere that stretches out just beyond Sirius. It's included in the Celestia package as a file called boundaries.dat. Is there a set format for this file and the asterisms data? Can other schematic shapes be modeled using it (eg the rough boundries of star-forming regions, nebulae or open clusters, also 'trade routes' and other fictional stuff).
Seems like a natural thing to me to look toward implimenting a way to have extra dat files able to be loaded into celestia the way that script files can be. More things for developers to play with.

ogg

Aya Reiko

Post #14by Aya Reiko » 11.09.2002, 19:31

1. Binary Stars

2. Procession of the Earth's axis

3. A more detailed "Solar System Browser" with separate areas (tabs?) for the different kinds of objects (i.e. planets, asteriods, comets, etc.). The list is getting rather long and needs a little more organization.

16 of 18
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #15by 16 of 18 » 11.09.2002, 19:58

especialy when you d/l addons for the solar system(spacecraft, ect.)

also, could you try to put continental drift on the planets in to

Paul
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #16by Paul » 12.09.2002, 05:48

I'd love it if this were fixed:

http://www.celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=883

Seems like it'd be easy to do.
Cheers,
Paul

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #17by Rassilon » 12.09.2002, 06:50

Well mine chris has heard a billion times hehe...These should be for future versions...maybe some might appear soon...

* Stars visible past 16,000 ly
* Emissive objects do not cast shadows....And thier clouds are emissive
* Flares can be added to objects using the FlareTexture and FlareColor scripts...
* Emissive objects produce thier own temprature... You know maybe do away with emissive objects and add in the ability to change the surface texture, flare color and texture of stars in the STC files...Why have the emissives then? Well I suppose keep them for brown dwarfs but night textures work well for those...
* Pulsars that pulse
* Jet streams for black holes
* Allow transparency maps instead of making the whole model semi-transparent...Good for Nebulas and ascension disks on black holes...
* RA and Dec coordinates of an object displayed as well as options to display deg F Celsius and/or K...
* Selectable Galaxies...
* Oblate objects with atmospheres oblate....as well as models that have rough surfaces...eg the model I used in the most current system I made complete with mountains....I believe that something like the surface definition of these objects should be aligned to the lowest point instead of the highest...This will also allow you to approach objects like a oblong space station more closely without using thrust...
* model bumpmaps, spectural mapping, and nightlights...and straighten the cloud formations around them...They contour themselves to the surface instead of circle it...This might be hard...Unless you made a script CloudOblateness...though clouds oblate perfectly with a oblate smooth surface...
* Better Galaxy models....been mentioned that Chris is working on this...Along with Nebulas
* The ability to add models/planets as stand alone without a star to circle....Uses galactic coordinates RA and Dec...This would be nice for making nebulas and rouge planets
* Ring shadows on the front surface of the planet as well
* Cloud shadows and cloud underside shadows
* eclipse shadows darken clouds and atmosphere
* Multiple Cloud layers
* Factural texturemapping to produce planetary landscapes
* I suppose lens flares would be nice
* Binary starlight..or trinary...etc...
* I still think sounds on planet surfaces would be nice...

Sorry I was on a roll there...I KNOW you wont add these in this version....but man if those were in the next version or two....wow...I could imagine the beautiful crap we all could make then hehe...

btw how many are making addons programming wise for Celestia right now? If any of them could make some of these for me I am more than sure I would use them....without a doubt...Suppose I could do it too...

Thanks again Chris and all involved in making my dream come true....The best damn space sim out there!!!
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

selden
Developer

Post #18by selden » 12.09.2002, 11:28

Rassilon wrote
> This will also allow you to approach objects like a oblong space station
> more closely without using thrust...

Spedifying a negative distance usually works well. I used that to explore the ISS model.
Selden

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #19by Rassilon » 12.09.2002, 16:54

selden wrote:Rassilon wrote
> This will also allow you to approach objects like a oblong space station
> more closely without using thrust...

Spedifying a negative distance usually works well. I used that to explore the ISS model.

That wasnt my point really...My point is being able to do so with the mouse...And in theroy fix the problen with atmospheres around such objects used as planets ;)
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

selden
Developer

Post #20by selden » 12.09.2002, 22:40

Yup.
I understand.

It's just that so far I haven't had time to do much more than explore Celestia's existing universe. Having Xeno's Paradox built into the design can be a little frustrating at times :)

It'd be nice if there were a way to switch to a linear travel mode for a while.
Selden

Return to “Development”