Lite version of Celestia in a Java applet --> HERE

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.

Lite version of Celestia in a Java applet --> HERE

Post #1by Guest » 20.08.2002, 11:33

Hi all,

if anyone interested, i've develop a simulation of the Solar System (something like a lite version of Celestia :lol: ) in a Java applet. In the simulation you can explore the 9 planets and 29 satellites.

i've used Shout3D technology to represent the graphical enviroment of the system. Shout3D comes with an OpenGL plug-in so you need a good 3D videocard to get a good performance of the simulation (like Geforce 1 or superior). Without the hardware accelerated version of Shout3D, the performance of the simulation is very poor.

The first time you enter the page the OpenGL plug-in is installed. If this plug-in is not installed and you have the Sun Java plug-in in you explorer, please disable it from the advanced options of the explorer, because i've detected a conflict with this two plug-in's.

Check the applet here:

http://dmi.uib.es/~ramon/Planetarium/planetarium.htm

And please, be patient while loading, because the whole applet is about 1.5 MB. The textures of the planets and satellites are loaded when are needed so, the first time you view an object, you will see a white sphere until texture is loaded.

Hope you like the simulation.
Any feedback will be apreciated... :D

Andreu Font

PD: the language of the applet is catalan so if you don't understand some part of the interfice i can translate it to english.

billybob884
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #2by billybob884 » 22.08.2002, 22:02

sounds interesting...

Mike M. :mrgreen:
Mike M.

TacoTopia!

Post #3by Guest » 23.08.2002, 07:07

Yeah, a translation would be great !

diegorodriguez
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #4by diegorodriguez » 03.09.2002, 09:53

The applet looks nice. But I dont see the need of the orbits diagram and the data table at the bottom of the page. And on the translation thing, you probably did not want to spread it around the globe, so you can do whatever you want on it.

Diego Rodr?guez, Barcelona (Spain)

Return to “Development”