Why not put some things of the engine of DWU in Celestia?

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
Enio
With us: 19 years 10 months

Why not put some things of the engine of DWU in Celestia?

Post #1by Enio » 18.09.2004, 12:12

:idea: I think that it's a good idea if it could put the code of DWU in Celestia, and this code I want is the responsable to show the surface of the planet having mountains and trees, or even buildings. Another code in DWU permits systems have two or more REAL stars, not emissive planets to illuminate planets and other bodies. And also the flying mode, not in orbital movement, but free in space.
Rassilon, do you will put these same codes in DWU 2? I think you sad that the new version will be more likely Celestia than the other engine.
If this new version will be more likely Celestia and if it have these same codes, I think that it can be implemented in Celestia!!!! :D
I'm only trying to make Celestia have a better engine and become a much better program.
Thank you for your attention. :D
Any suggestions?

kikinho
With us: 19 years 9 months

Post #2by kikinho » 18.09.2004, 20:29

I had this idea because I think that Doctor Who Universe is quite similar to celestia, because the fact that it's a navigator program. And I think that
the codes I especified in the text above can be updated in order to run in Celestia.
At least, I think it's a great idea. :)
Sorry if I modified my user name, because my dad don't like to show my name to other people in Chat or Forums. :oops: :cry:
I will put my name now as Kikinho.

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #3by Rassilon » 19.09.2004, 00:08

All in all the engine is not the best use of a terrain engine...Its implementation is short of ugly when it comes to the diamond fan method it uses to update the terrain...What chris plans on doing is something more realistic I suspect and will not be for quite some time...

All in all the dwu/iue is pretty much abandoned and I doubt I will be adding to it from now on...The DWU has continued with my own implementation and is quite different...The first version I plan to release wont be as good in some ways...might make people think its more eye candy than real...and is too gamish...and they will be right as I plan to make it a full blown exploration game...A sort of cross between Star Trek Armada and Noctis with very little combat and a whole lot of exploration...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Return to “Development”