Ok A Question....

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Ok A Question....

Post #1by Rassilon » 18.07.2002, 16:46

Im wondering if its even worth it to post my addons as it seems no one is interested...well except the solar system I did...but one is not enough...

If your interested in me releasing any addons say aye...If I get no responses I release no more and I'll post no more pics...I do like feedback you know but if I get none I wont waste your time and mine...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

abiogenesis
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #2by abiogenesis » 18.07.2002, 17:15

Of course we want your addons, Rassilon. Look at how many views your posts get. Alien Worlds Revisted... has 301 views so far. Admittedly only 9 responses, but maybe people are just shy. ;)

With the new solar system generator, I have planets (usually quite a few) around every single star. The galaxy is in desparate need of textures and your stuff is some of the most interesting I've seen up here.

I seriously doubt I am the only one who appreciates your work. You'll see, perhaps this thread will have the most replies of any you've posted yet. :)

- a b i o g e n e s i s -

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #3by Rassilon » 18.07.2002, 17:18

True...but the only way to improve is when others give feedback...They shouldn't be shy I dont bite lol
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Azagoth
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #4by Azagoth » 18.07.2002, 17:32

Aye, keep 'em coming, I have your new Solarsystem, just havn't put it in yet. I don't get my GeForce4 until tomorrow. Also being on 56k, some files can take a absolute Dark Age to download. Is there anyway you could split the files for us lowly ones?

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #5by Rassilon » 18.07.2002, 17:44

Yeah I have to split up the new Solar System addon some time today...Its 20 megs...

chris
Site Admin

Post #6by chris » 18.07.2002, 20:50

Keep the new add-ons coming! And if you're interested in getting a *lot* of feedback on your solar system add-on, I'll put a link to it on the main Celestia page.

--Chris

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #7by Rassilon » 18.07.2002, 21:46

Well thats ok and all Im just looking to see if anyone was interested in general...I am thinking of building a better webpage as a fantasy addon resource for Celestia that maybe you could put in your links section if you want...

marc
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #8by marc » 19.07.2002, 03:54

Aye, Im interested. your work with textures and ssc files is really good, im looking for examples to help with the next random system generator, and more textures to pinch.
Particularly a bunch of cloud textures at varying coverage percentages.

Good news on that too I got the size down from 10 gig to 2 gig by zipping all the files and having celestia unzip as needed. THe generation process becomes an overnight job though, new version coming.

Marc

tommy
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #9by tommy » 19.07.2002, 06:22

The all great have downloaded them and thanks for all the hard work you have put into them.

Tommy

Post #10by Guest » 19.07.2002, 10:59

Hi,
I just discovered Celestia yesterday. It is an unbelievable programme that has synchronistically entered my life when I most needed it for the additional support for creating educational programmes, and illustrations for non-profit charitable educational trust purposes. I am deeply appreciative of all the work, dedication, and cooperative support that has occured to make this project possible. I have not had the opportunity to even begin to test all the potential parameters of what this programme is capable of, but what I have discovered is that the possibilities of "application" are limitless. As such, there can never be enough addons, scripts, and developments for a programme of this nature. As I get around to testing the addon's I would be more than happy to give my feedback...the exciting thing right now is that there are also addon's to a great programme like this to extend and enhance its explorative capabilties. Please keep up the creative energy, from what I can see the addon's are incredible and extremely relevant. Even a "bad" addon, of which I don't see any, is still positive and keeps the overall cooperative creative energy flowing. This is absolutely vital for the ongoing growth and develpment of this programme/project.

In short "keep up the great work!" and thank you very much for your efforts!

D.Edwards
With us: 22 years 4 months

Re: Add Ons

Post #11by D.Edwards » 20.07.2002, 00:31

I for one am going to keep working on the add ons I am working on. My main problem is going to be hosting the files. As of September 30, 2002 Apple is shutting down my free iDisk storage space so I have to find somewhere else to put the files before then.
I have made an Astreriod field plugin for my HD 28185 add on. I am going to put it on the iDisk tonight.

marc

Post #12by marc » 20.07.2002, 02:08

Bruckner has his addon repository dont forget, or I could host them on my MH site if they are really huge. where can I get hold of your latest work?

bruckner

It's the bandwidth!

Post #13by bruckner » 20.07.2002, 02:20

@ Rassilon & D.Edwards:

Remember my problem is bandwidth, not storing space. I'm limited to 13 KB/s (more or less) upstream (from my side) due to my not-so-cheap (but tiny) DSL setup. However, if you'd like to bear that (or your files are not multi MB monsters) I could make a download page for yourselves (you and your work deserve it!) Just send me URLs or mail me the relevant files with descriptions, and I'll take care of the HTML.

Kindest regards, and please keep up the good work.

Bruckner

bruckner

More on this topic

Post #14by bruckner » 20.07.2002, 02:26

@ marc

For files larger than, say, 5 MB, it might be a good idea to use sourceforge as a storage space (with mirrors, no less). I'd link the files from a dedicated page, however, to try and give them a maximum of visibility. Is this ok for you?

Greetings!

Bruckner

marc

Post #15by marc » 20.07.2002, 07:13

Bruckner Rassilon & D.Edwards
how about a sourceforge project dedicated to celestia addons?

the bandwidth limitations would be solved and we could put those monster dds files on it too.

Marc

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #16by Rassilon » 21.07.2002, 14:58

Well no wories then since theres enough interest now I have to go find bigger webspace, thanks guys :roll: ...Thanks marc I might try looking into sourceForge's webSpace setups and see what they will allow...

Sorry for the delay on the solar system update but freeWebSpace is horribly slow with uploads and five 5 meg files does not sound like an enjoyable afternoon ;)

but Im willing to give it a shot if any of you would host this for me...If not Ill be using freewebspace and I suspect you 56kers would prefer 5 meg segments to a 25 meg file anyways :mrgreen:

But for now I plan on releasing a system soon...The fantasy galactic center system is going to be a whopping 100 meg before im through 8O

Post #17by Guest » 22.07.2002, 02:33

Rassilon
ill host it as long as you have masses for all the body's. and their orbits are done with keplers laws. This way the MH gravity effects will work, and your system can become part of the game. The kepler laws are pretty simple I can summarise what you'll need if you want. I can fix that stargen to do single systems too.
Same goes Edwards
Marc

Return to “Development”