GLUT Celestia for Windows.

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
marc
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #41by marc » 07.05.2004, 12:20

Hi Paolo,
Good to here your project is progressing.

To get started on glut/freeglut. All you will need in regards to documentation is both the glut and freeglut reference docs. I can recommend having a good read of the Glut reference first before you start any coding. It will save you time in the long run. The freeglut manual only documents the differences from glut.
After that download my latest source and have a look at puimain.cpp. I based this on glutmain.cpp from celestia. The plib specific stuff is pretty obvoius. You may also want to use the infinite mouse code which I ported. (same goes for the maintainers of the OSX version of celestia ;) ).

Hope this helps.

Marc

Paolo
With us: 22 years

Post #42by Paolo » 07.05.2004, 20:09

Thank you Mark

But when I've said that I need advices from scratch I mean the very very basic stuff. :oops:
I know that there is at least a C++ command line compiler in Linux, but I don't know how to use it, nor how to create a makefile for it. I know that preparing the environment for compilation, checking for the dependencies with other libraries should be very difficult. Is there any site that explains these procedures for the dummies? :oops:

- Paolo
Remember: Time always flows, it is the most precious thing that we have.
My Celestia - Celui

Topic author
marc

Post #43by marc » 08.05.2004, 16:08

Ok, sorry I misunderstood. I'm no expert but I for programming under linux but I guess that a search on gcc and make tutorials would be a good start. Also try typing man gcc and man make at a shell prompt.

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #44by Rassilon » 08.05.2004, 23:48

You know all this time Ive been interested in an elite style game and have never given marcs work much of a glance until today...considering my options...

Marc I think its time I asked if you need help in creating your game? I can in any event create planets for you...but in a small part some coding as I learn more about OpenGL...

Ive begun throwing around ideas for a game myself...Ive wanted to create a doctor who space sim for quite some time...so I could see 'modding' what you do to do just that...a future of this game in the complete stages with mods made by various gamers...especially if its has online capabilities...Another idea of mine that Ive been throwing around with eburacum45 and his Orion Arm universe...I mentioned I wanted to create a massive online game experience as big as everquest at some point...I know this is simply a dream but it could be possible with a team of developers...With your current star database in a sql server this is EXACTLY the idea I have for a server to hold several terras of galactic cartography!

Just a thought...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Topic author
marc

Post #45by marc » 09.05.2004, 03:16

Rassilon wrote:Marc I think its time I asked if you need help in creating your game? I can in any event create planets for you...but in a small part some coding as I learn more about OpenGL...
You have already helped, a great deal of the system generator textures are yours. Thanks again. :)
Of course I'm always on the lookout for more fictional textures.

There is still a lot of coding that I would like to get finished on my own before I get any other developers on board.
But if you were to do some opengl stuff. I'd be interested in code that makes emissives into real light sources. Also other little opengl stuff, like thruster exhaust effects, strobe lights, lasers and tracer fire. (but I still have to do the backend work for spacecraft objects)
Do you still have the work you did on the new stars textures and rendering code? I never got around to downloading it and I'd like to have a closer look.
And oblateness for stars, I'd really like to see that. :) (later: I just had a look at the source it looks easy, all I need is the right formula )

Rassilon wrote:I mentioned I wanted to create a massive online game experience as big as everquest at some point...I know this is simply a dream but it could be possible with a team of developers...With your current star database in a sql server this is EXACTLY the idea I have for a server to hold several terras of galactic cartography!

Multiplayer is not something I will be doing. A major problem with multiplayer space sims is that realistic ones need time compression. Like you said its also a lot of work.
Thinking about how it could be done, the static cartography would be on a local embedded database (this data would not change), while the the dynamic data (player positions etc) would be hosted on a common remote server.

Return to “Development”