Star Trek Ships

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
DeMan

Star Trek Ships

Post #1by DeMan » 27.06.2002, 16:56

Anyone know where I can get those ships? I would like to have the Intrepid class aka USS Voyager or USS Enterprise A, B, C, D and E

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #2by Rassilon » 27.06.2002, 17:27

3ds files not off hand but there are Armada 2 models you might be able to get the authors to send a 3ds file of...but I doubt it due to the trouble they have with plagerism...

http://www.ugforums.com/~addf/index2.htm

^ best trek modeller I know and he works now with Electronic Arts ;)
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

D.Edwards
With us: 22 years 4 months

RE: Star Trek

Post #3by D.Edwards » 29.06.2002, 06:26

Try Star Trek Australia at http://www.beyond.net.au/devil/sta/index.htm
I think the meshes they have posted might be compatible. They are .3ds format. Its a pretty cool sight. They have a ton of them. I downloaded one and will report my success of failure at using it.

D.Edwards

Re: Star Trek

Post #4by D.Edwards » 29.06.2002, 06:40

The models do work for the most part. Go to http://homepage.mac.com/donald_edwards/ ... g-link.jpg and take a look. Thats a Nova Class ship.
This makes for some interesting posibilities. :)

Sum0
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #5by Sum0 » 29.06.2002, 10:23

Also try... http://trekmeshes.starfleet.ch
I downloaded a Enterprise-E mesh. It slowed down my frame rate for some reason but it looks good...
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Miserableman

RE: Star Trek

Post #6by Miserableman » 30.06.2002, 10:21

D.Edwards wrote:Try Star Trek Australia at http://www.beyond.net.au/devil/sta/index.htm
I think the meshes they have posted might be compatible. They are .3ds format. Its a pretty cool sight. They have a ton of them. I downloaded one and will report my success of failure at using it.

I now have a ton of these meshes orbiting Venus :D Some of them work, some of them don't (unfortunately the Galaxy Class Enterprise is a mess). All of them rape my graphics card, as they're designed for rendering scenes, but I can usually get 5-10 fps. The textures are sometimes screwed though.

Commander David
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #7by Commander David » 30.06.2002, 14:19

i`ve a model of a spacestation and in celestia are no texture on it. in my 3d prog are textures, why not in celestia. can anybody help me please. it`s not verry funny...the spacestation orbiting moon and it has the same texture from the moon :?: what is the problem?

Rassilon

Post #8by Rassilon » 30.06.2002, 17:09

make sure after the line
Mesh "ship.3ds"
is
Texture "tex.jpg"
texture for the model...

And the texture has to be a jpg or png...And a multiple of 2...1024 x 512...512x256...etc...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Miserableman

Post #9by Miserableman » 30.06.2002, 23:33

Rassilon wrote:make sure after the line
Mesh "ship.3ds"
is
Texture "tex.jpg"
texture for the model...

You sure that's right? ISS, Mir etc don't have the texture files listed after the model file

Axel

Post #10by Axel » 01.07.2002, 09:12

Miserableman wrote:You sure that's right? ISS, Mir etc don't have the texture files listed after the model file

Yeah, I think so. As I delivered booth models to Chris I wasn't able to provide a texture as well. So we simply reduced the polycount and colored them properly.

Take care,
Axel

Ortolan

Post #11by Ortolan » 01.07.2002, 09:50

How do you display a mesh with more than one texture?

Miserableman

Post #12by Miserableman » 01.07.2002, 12:52

There are texture files for ISS in the medres folder, are they not being used? :O(((((

Post #13by Guest » 02.07.2002, 03:32

D. Edwards, how did you get the ship's colors to display? I dled the constitution class Enterprise and added it to celestia. The model loaded just fine, but the colors won't display. I tried resizing the texture to a multiple of 2 in png and jpg format, added the texture to the data file as Rassilon suggested, put the texture with the model in the models folder, put the texture in the med res folder..none of this worked. Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for any help :)

D.Edwards

RE: Star Ships

Post #14by D.Edwards » 02.07.2002, 04:15

All I did was replace the iss.3ds file with the one I downloaded and droped all textures in the Celestia/Textures/Medres directory. I just did this to see if they would work as a quick hack. I did work but if you look closely the lighting isn't right and the one nacel/engine isn't texturing properly. If given some time and patients soneone might be able to make this work better. As I said I only did this to see if the .3ds files would work at all. They do but it needs work and I am not sure were to go from here. If anyone else nows how to implement all the features present the 3ds file let us all know.

Rassilon

Post #15by Rassilon » 05.08.2002, 19:14

Cant believe I missed this...lol was looking for a site with ship models...

For 3ds files to use more than one texture it will have to be set up in 3d studio max using the material editor...To ungloss a piece...set spectural color to black...the spectural level and gloss levels do not affect anything leave em alone...To make transparent set opaque to 25 or 50...to make ENTIRE model illuminate use Emissive true in your ssc file...

Daniel

Post #16by Daniel » 27.08.2002, 13:11

Try this: Model your Station or any Object you want. Put an UVW Mapmodifier on it (keep the texture-szie as mentioned above), and collapse the whole Modifierstack. Then save your work. Export your model into 3DS and check "keep texture coordinates". Then implement the textures in celestia, and it should work.

Note: The above was just a theorie I don't know if it's working properly this way. But I made several Models for Game Mods, and this is the most common way, to preserve the textures where they belong to be (the UVW Modifier and the collapse of the stack are the key to get rid of this).

Check it out - plese let me (us) know, if this will work. Thnax :)

Daniel

Return to “Development”