Super precise spacecraft orbits...

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Darkmiss
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #21by Darkmiss » 10.02.2004, 14:07

Oh I hope this gets included into Celestia as standard
along with the space craft orbits crash fix for 132p2

Great work Kendrix 8)
CPU- Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad ,2.40GHz
RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2
Motherboard- Gigabyte P35 DQ6
Video Card- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS + 640Mb
Hard Drives- 2 SATA Raptor 10000rpm 150GB
OS- Windows Vista Home Premium 32

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #22by ANDREA » 26.02.2004, 23:35

Kendrix wrote:Ok here is the new .exe :
KCelestia.zip
Now the number of samples for planet orbits is 200. It's nearly equal to 1000 visually !

Hello Kendrix, one information please: your Kcelestia.exe file works with the last Celestia pre3 and pre4 releases too? :oops:
Thank you very much. :P

Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Christophe
Developer
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #23by Christophe » 27.02.2004, 08:23

ANDREA wrote:Hello Kendrix, one information please: your Kcelestia.exe file works with the last Celestia pre3 and pre4 releases too? :oops:

Kendrix's patch has been included in the main codebase, so there is no need to use his .exe with the latest pre releases.
Christophe

jim
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #24by jim » 28.02.2004, 19:24

Christophe wrote:
ANDREA wrote:Hello Kendrix, one information please: your Kcelestia.exe file works with the last Celestia pre3 and pre4 releases too? :oops:

Kendrix's patch has been included in the main codebase, so there is no need to use his .exe with the latest pre releases.

I'm not sure which off Kentrix's code has included in Celestia pre3 and pre4 (Windows) but I know there is a big difference to KCelestia.

- absolute ugly orbits, (a lot off egdes are visible)
- ugly Saturn rings (not the texture),
- lowres shadow texture (it should be no problem to make this depend on Hardware but at most 2k.)

Maybe Chris has foregotten to include this code?

Bye Jens

Christophe
Developer

Post #25by Christophe » 28.02.2004, 20:12

jim wrote:I'm not sure which off Kentrix's code has included in Celestia pre3 and pre4 (Windows) but I know there is a big difference to KCelestia.

- absolute ugly orbits, (a lot off egdes are visible)
- ugly Saturn rings (not the texture),
- lowres shadow texture (it should be no problem to make this depend on Hardware but at most 2k.)

Maybe Chris has foregotten to include this code?

I was the one who did the commit. If Kendrix did any other modification to his version beside the orbit patch I'm not aware of it. The only code he submited regarded orbit rendering, and that is that code that is now in CVS.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/celestia/celestia/src/celengine/samporbit.cpp
Christophe

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #26by chris » 29.02.2004, 03:26

I did adjust the maximum curvature for orbit paths upward slightly in order to bring the number of points down slightly. But, the effect was subtle and should not have resulted in ugly orbits. Could you provide a screen shot Jens?

--Chris

jim
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #27by jim » 29.02.2004, 22:02

Hi Chris and Christophe,

Ok, now I at home. :-)

Chris wrote:I did adjust the maximum curvature for orbit paths upward slightly in order to bring the number of points down slightly. But, the effect was subtle and should not have resulted in ugly orbits. Could you provide a screen shot Jens?

Here are the shots. I think you can see that there are some big differences between KCelestia (latest one from 5. Jan ) and Celestia 1.3.2pre4.

Except the different ring texture and colore there are three things to see in Pre4:
1. edges at the orbits,
2. edges at the ring modell,
3. lowres shadow texture.

To the third, point I know that not every graphic card can handle a 2k shadow texture but it should be no problem to adapt the size automatically. ;-)

I hope you can unterstand why I want all this beautiful features in base Celestia. ;-)

Christophe wrote:I was the one who did the commit.
I know ;-) I was the one that told Kendrix about you.

Christophe wrote:If Kendrix did any other modification to his version beside the orbit patch I'm not aware of it. The only code he submited regarded orbit rendering, and that is that code that is now in CVS.

I'm sure there are more new code. But as far as I know you asked Kendrix only for the orbit code. :roll:
I got his email adress and can send this to you or Chris if you want?

Bye Jens

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #28by t00fri » 29.02.2004, 22:28

Here are my 2 cents (from very latest CVS):

the red "orbit" is really kinky rather than "super-smooth". So something quite dramatic changed relative to Kendrix' code...(of course I had a look in the CVS;-))

Bye Fridger

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #29by chris » 29.02.2004, 23:25

There were two parts to Kendrix's orbit patch: adaptively sampled spacecraft orbits, and an increased number of samples for other orbits. I incorporated the first change, but not the second. I also elected not to include the higher resolution shadow texture and the higher detail rings. In all of these cases, I chose to trade visual quality for speed, because I'm very concerned about how Celestia will perform on lower end machines. The size of the ring shadow texture is especially concerning--a 2048x2048 texture is 4MB of video memory! Perhaps it would be best to allow these to be controlled with settings in celestia.cfg . . .

Fridger: is that red line the orbit of a spacecraft or a moon?

--Chris

Falck

Post #30by Falck » 29.02.2004, 23:57

Perhaps it would be best to allow these to be controlled with settings in celestia.cfg . . .

Yes please, if it is possible to do so. I rely on superprecise orbits, speed is far less of an issue.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #31by t00fri » 01.03.2004, 00:14

chris wrote:There were two parts to Kendrix's orbit patch: adaptively sampled spacecraft orbits, and an increased number of samples for other orbits. I incorporated the first change, but not the second. I also elected not to include the higher resolution shadow texture and the higher detail rings. In all of these cases, I chose to trade visual quality for speed, because I'm very concerned about how Celestia will perform on lower end machines. The size of the ring shadow texture is especially concerning--a 2048x2048 texture is 4MB of video memory! Perhaps it would be best to allow these to be controlled with settings in celestia.cfg . . .

Fridger: is that red line the orbit of a spacecraft or a moon?

--Chris

Chris,

since it is red, it is the orbit of the selection which is Saturn as you can tell from the red selection "diamond" in its center...I found quite a number of further bad orbit kinks, in fact.

Bye Fridger

JackHiggins
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #32by JackHiggins » 01.03.2004, 23:39

Chris wrote:Perhaps it would be best to allow these to be controlled with settings in celestia.cfg . . .
Falck wrote:Yes please, if it is possible to do so. I rely on superprecise orbits, speed is far less of an issue.

Yes, please!! At least give us the option of improving these settings, if our systems can handle it. It's a bit unfair on those of us who can display these things, to have them left out, even as an option, for the sake of lower level systems.

(Apologies to anyone who has a system that can't handle the other items from Kendrix's mod, but you know, we all like silky smooth curves... :wink: )
- Jack Higgins
Jack's Celestia Add-ons
And visit my Celestia Gallery too!

Return to “Development”