How do I build celestia.exe on XP ?

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
zebulon303
With us: 21 years

How do I build celestia.exe on XP ?

Post #1by zebulon303 » 14.09.2003, 10:02

I am a beginner in using SourceForge GNU and all that ... And I am interested in exploring how celestia is implemented, but I cannot figure out how to use the make file of Celestia, what do I need ?

I already have the Dev-C++, is there a place I can find the documentation (maybe in SourceForge, where it should be) in order to do that.

Thank you.

Or do I need Microsoft Visual C++

Post #2by guest » 14.09.2003, 10:40

Can't dev-c++ replace Microsoft Visual C++ ?

Paolo
With us: 22 years

Post #3by Paolo » 14.09.2003, 16:15

Hi Zebulon303

About one year ago there was a thread talking about this argument that is very complicated.

Personally I'm using WinCVS and Visual Sudio 6.0 on windows XP pro.

The dsw file in the CVS tree was not updated from a long time so compiling from Visual Studio gives endless errors.
Instead Chris uses the mak file that are up to date.

So I was compiling a working copy of the source code using the two pre defined makerelease.bat and makedebug.bat.

But you need some libraries for the linking that are necessary for the image management and that are not included in CVS tree and that you can find in the index of celetia files. The file is named Celestia-Winlibs.zip. Then you have to place those file (h, lib and dll in the correct folders).

But this is not all. :cry:

You will need the LUA.lib that is missing in the Celestia-Winlibs.zip.
Actually I was not able to find these file so since April I was not able to compile in this way.

Actually I have modified and updated the dsw project files manually browsing the mak file so I'am able to compile and run a Celestia version without LUA support.

But is not the end. The really interesting way to use Visual Studio to play with Celestia code is to run the debug version of the program in the interactive debugging mode. So you are able to follow the code execution and understand deeply how the code operates. I've worked a lot to be able to configure the environment :? but my knowledge of visual studio is limited and I get a lot of compiling warnings.

I'm not satisfied about my work so I don't want to share it.

Should be much more better if after the next Celestia Official Release (Hopefully 1.3.1 won't be so far) the developement team updates all the file necessary to compile with Visual Studio.

Bye - Paolo
Remember: Time always flows, it is the most precious thing that we have.
My Celestia - Celui

alan_federman
With us: 21 years 8 months

Version?

Post #4by alan_federman » 24.09.2003, 15:37

Hey Paolo - what version of Visual Studio are you using?

The latest .net version seems a lot smarter so that the CVS for things like OpenSceneGraph almost compile on the first try.
Alan Federman

don
With us: 21 years 2 months

Re: Version?

Post #5by don » 25.10.2003, 07:22

alan_federman wrote:The latest .net version seems a lot smarter so that the CVS for things like OpenSceneGraph almost compile on the first try.

Howdy Alan,

Are you using VC++ .NET 2003 (Framework 1.1)? Does Celestia actually compile on it without changing any code?

I ask because today I read some Microsoft FAQ answers that said VC++ 6.x code might need to be modified for compiling on VC++ .NET if it used some particular STL routines.

Thanks,

-Don G.

Return to “Development”