Realism and animation

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
ziggy
With us: 21 years 3 months

Realism and animation

Post #1by ziggy » 14.08.2003, 01:54

Hi all,
Getting realistic "weathered" effects must be one of the hardest, even in 2d ,you've only got to look at model plane/train mags where they've substituted photos of models in real landscapes,I can always tell, I suppose some of the giveaway is the lighting, but its often there's too much added. So less is more or what?
[quote]you've got me thinking about animation using the current version of celestia. Just imagine how many different helios models it would take to show a few seconds of it's propellas turning, not to mention the
massive ssc file. TERRIER[quote]
I wonder, is the idea of adding some rocket flames feasable? I can see that a static mesh and texture would'nt be that hard to do, but with regard to Terriers thought, would you have to have loads of files to make it a bit
animated? I downloaded a ufo model, (I think the original 3ds came from the same site as the Saturn rocket) and it spins on its axis at whatever speed you put in.Can it be specified that part of a model does this, or
does it have to apply to the whole thing? If the latter were the case could two models ie flame and craft be put right next to each other, the flame flickering away? I'm wondering if a single flame spinning length wise
would look any good, or even, a more elaborate double layer construction( like a very small planet and atmosphere) with a different colours etc,the outer one spinning at a different speed. On a different tack, I sometimes get an effect that I at first thought was deliberate,ie a sort of winking led thing when viewing some models,also some moire type features, it looks like its an aliasing glitch or something. My point is, could any unintended artifacts like these be turned to advantage? Alarming to those trying to get rid of things like this, but why not use them.
Regards Ziggy *-)

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 10 months

re

Post #2by John Van Vliet » 14.08.2003, 10:38

I sopose one could add flame like it is done in orbiter-with a static image- but ive never liked the grafics in orbiter

JackHiggins
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #3by JackHiggins » 14.08.2003, 14:34

Support for animated gif images could be helpful too... However i'm guessing this is more complicated then it seems, or this would have been added long ago...
- Jack Higgins
Jack's Celestia Add-ons
And visit my Celestia Gallery too!

abiogenesis
With us: 22 years

Post #4by abiogenesis » 14.08.2003, 16:51

I remember a thread where Chris was asking about alternative 3D file formats (I can't seem to find the thread at the moment...). One of the features he was looking for was the ability to include animation data in the model files. Since I can't find the thread, I don't know what the results of his search were, if any. But, at least it suggests that he is not opposed to the idea of animated models.

- a b i o g e n e s i s -

chronus
With us: 21 years

Realism and animation

Post #5by chronus » 18.08.2003, 18:33

if people are looking for a differenet type of 3D modeling system i would like to put foward blender. this is a open source 3D modeling system so it has the same ethous as celestia.
its address is http://www.blender.org

JackHiggins
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #6by JackHiggins » 18.08.2003, 19:23

GOD no not blender... PLEASE not blender... I tried that thing so many times, and couldn't make ANY sense of it... I can't get it to do anything!!!

Anim8or, which is what many people use for making celestia 3ds models, can also make animated models (hence the name- Anim8or, duh...) I've never tried the animation features, but from the documentation, it seems to be pretty easy...

Rubbish, thy name is Blender!!! :)
- Jack Higgins

Jack's Celestia Add-ons

And visit my Celestia Gallery too!

Return to “Development”