black holes

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
Fleegle
With us: 22 years 5 months

black holes

Post #1by Fleegle » 11.04.2002, 20:40

I'm sure I'm not the first one to bring this up, but I was thinking of how to create a simple "black hole" object with the existing code. I don't know how rings work in Celestia, but if someone created a tiny perfectly black sphere with giant rings (the accretion disc) I think it would look just about right. Exactly how do rings work in Celestia?

I was thinking of not only making a giant blackhole for the center of the galaxies (like in MS Space Simulator) but populating the galaxy with smaller blackholes in various star systems.

I realize the blackhole wouldn't have all the funky relativistic properties but its a start.

Anyways, if someone has already made an object like this I'd love to get it off you.

Ciao,
Fleegle

Matt McIrvin
With us: 22 years 6 months

Rings and black holes

Post #2by Matt McIrvin » 14.04.2002, 23:38

Rings are pretty easy to make in Celestia, at least for planets. Check out the entry for Saturn in solarsys.ssc for an example. One thing I don't know is whether you can make one glow with its own light, immune to shadows. Also, if I recall correctly, for black holes of typical size with accretion disks, the disk is typically a lot thicker than the size of the hole. But, as you said, it's a start.

Another thing that would be missing would be the polar jets that typically emerge from these objects. These would also be useful for portraying active galaxies (which, of course, are supposed to have a titanic black hole in the middle). Perhaps it will be possible eventually to make a jet with a variant of the comet tail object that Chris is working on.

Topic author
Fleegle

pictures

Post #3by Fleegle » 15.04.2002, 20:44

I made a simple blackhole object, this is how it turned out:

Image[/img]

Topic author
Fleegle

pictures

Post #4by Fleegle » 15.04.2002, 22:32

Bleh! Wrong address.
Here's the pictures:

Mikeydude750
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #5by Mikeydude750 » 17.04.2002, 00:07

Maybe we should just leave the black hole idea alone for now, because(no offense) it looks just plain ugly right now. We need to get rid of the shadow on the accretion disk, and we need to make the disk thicker(with a volumetric cloud, which Chris is working on right now) to make it realistic. And for god sakes, change the color. That's not the true color!

Topic author
Fleegle

black hole

Post #6by Fleegle » 17.04.2002, 03:49

Yeah, I'm aware that it doesn't look realistic. The purpose of making that black hole was both for practice and demonstration of what it would generally look like.
And yes the color sucks. But as I said its not really intended to be accurate to any degree.

[/quote]

Return to “Development”