More Messier objects

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
DBrant
With us: 22 years 4 months

More Messier objects

Post #1by DBrant » 15.04.2002, 22:21

I've made a file with a whole bunch of Messier objects (about 100 more). If anyone's interested:

http://dmitrybrant.com/galaxies.zip
(just replace the old galaxies file)

The data is based on the following:
http://www.seds.org/messier/xtra/marathon/marath.html
(i wrote a tiny parser app that went through and generated the galaxy file)

The data seems to be pretty good. Just check out how accurately M45 represents the Pleiades.

Notes:
- Many of the objects are open/globular clusters, nebulae, etc.; these will all be shown as tiny 'E0' galaxies.

-Dmitry Brant

Paul
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #2by Paul » 16.04.2002, 00:58

It's a real shame that Celestia won't read in spreadsheet-friendly tables - sure, the structured record thing is more flexible and readable, but it means that to create significant amounts of data for Celestia you either need to be a programmer, or have superhuman tolerance for data entry... :(
Cheers,
Paul

chris
Site Admin

Post #3by chris » 16.04.2002, 01:28

Sorry about this . . . It doesn't seem like a spreadsheet format would be very practical given the large number of fields that can be used to describe an object. What about a tool that would allow you to specify a template for converting from table formatted data to an .ssc file?

--Chris

bruckner

I've been waiting...

Post #4by bruckner » 16.04.2002, 06:37

I've been holding my breath all the time since you (->Chris) said you were working on XML support for Celestia configuration files. With XML support, transformations from-to any data format should be made much easier. For instance, the VizieR service (http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/VizieR) is able to respond to queries in XML (Astrores XML), and from that building an XSL transformation sheet to whatever DTD XML ssc files conform to shouldn't be too difficult... Even I could reuse some of my Java programming skills for Celestia 8)

There are plenty of features I'd like to see in Celestia soon, but this one is my favorite, since it "embiggens" so much the ability to contribute (shades of The Simpsons here :wink: ... Now, why did I remember that?)

Greetings to everyone!

Bruckner

Ortolan
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #5by Ortolan » 16.04.2002, 07:02

Aye, a perfecly cromulent suggestion! :wink:

ZenMonkeyCat

Froody baby

Post #6by ZenMonkeyCat » 06.05.2002, 04:36

Boy, here are some guys who really know where their towells are! Froody baby, froody!

Return to “Development”