Celestia 1.7.0 Development will begin soon

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Janus
With us: 8 years 1 month

Post #81by Janus » 05.03.2017, 22:44

Some people actually use the dates of the files.
I know I do, and I find it very convenient, certainly many times more convenient that SVN records, for what I do at least, others will have different needs than I do of course.

Logging the whole dir tree in ztree then sorting by date W/WO path gives me an idea of where development activity has taken place.
I can then search for strings etc and have a list that I sort or filter desired.

I also use voidtools 'windows everything', which I use a lot.
If I knew of more tools like them for linux, I would probably use it more.
I would also need a version of explorer++ as well, but that is just wishful thinking.

I myself try to avoid even having an SVN client installed, it messes with my context menus, which are already horrid enough.
When I do use them however, it is mostly in VMs to keep my main desktop clean.
I sometimes do two dir trees with different SVN numbers, then compare files side by in notepad++, which highlights differences.

The lack of imported time/date stamps on github is one of its most annoying 'features', though I understand they can be conserved on import now.
I have setup a series of scripts to compare and copy time/date stamps on unmodified files between dir trees.
It is somewhat messy, but it works.
Giving me a git dump with the old SVN time/date stamps.

I NEVER work on a live copy of anything.
I fix, then copy to a live archive for sync if relevant.
Generally though, it is just a list of files and mods so they can work the fix in according to their in house procedures.

When I begin exploring a project, and most especially when troubleshooting or diagnosing one, the first thing I check is time/date stamps to see which files have been modified or changed recently.

Then again, I am not a big project type.

Janus.

HB M
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #82by HB » 06.03.2017, 14:24

One of the remarks of Github vs SVN found on internet:

Git is officially described as a stupid content tracker and it doesn’t care too much about keeping the precise history of changes in your repositories. Such features as implicit file rename tracking and ‘git rebase’ command make it hard to find out the true history of changes in your codebase.

In contrast, with Subversion you always can get exactly the same data from your repository as it was in any moment in the past. Also you can easily trace all changes made to the particular file or folder, because Subversion history is permanent and always definite.

Example: There has been some changes to Celestia's configuration files and committed two day's ago(4th of March) under #4955b3c.
I've pulled those modifications yesterday on the 5th of March to a local copy. What happens is that the local copy of the modified files has the 5th of March as file date. From my point of local view not committed two day's ago but only one day.
The most simple, basic way to compare files, e.g. the file date and timestamp is gone. So,what they say that Github do not care too much to keep the precise history, is true.

On https://github.com/CelestiaProject/Celestia the whole project is showing with in the last column of each row the year of committing. (2 months ago, 6 year ago etc.) Hovering with the mouse over these items the exact committing date and timestamp of is showing. That 's more precise and more useful. It would be better to have these timestamps in that column instead of the rough months and years of commit.
It can not be that difficult to have that changed and while pulling the files to a local copy from the repository with the original date and timestamps is maybe too much to ask.
You have to install Github for Windows(for a windows platform) to see the exact date and time in a tab of the properties of a file or with 'Show log' both via a context menu and Github

Concerning that, Github is inconvenient, but we have to live with it.
HB

Topic author
Alexell M
Site Admin
With us: 13 years 11 months

Post #83by Alexell » 15.03.2017, 18:56

HB, Previously, the program was developed only for x86 systems. Now, for now, let it be, because personally I do not know how to implement x64.
But if Janus can realize x64 and QT5, we will add this feature.

Added after 1 minute 35 seconds:
Janus wrote:I NEVER work on a live copy of anything.
So do I. :wink:

Added after 1 minute 25 seconds:
HB, I understand what you're talking about. I think eventually we will get used to it. :wink:
Admin of celestia.space
PC: Intel Core i7-8700 @ 3.20GHz, SSD, 16 Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, Creative Sound Blaster ZxR. Windows 10 x64.
Phone: iPhone Xs 256 Gb. iOS 14.

Janus
With us: 8 years 1 month

Post #84by Janus » 15.03.2017, 19:31

The QT5 changes were trivial.
I have it doing win32 Vs2010 W/QT5 and it works.
I am currently redoing VS so I will be a few days getting back to testing.

I can send you the files for you to look at if you like, I have them in an archive with a dir tree.
As I have said though, I am not a big project person.
All my changes are marked by // ??-??-?? date format with the original line commented out and replaced. {grep for "// 13-" on linux, I think it is grep anyway}
I also include comments on why something was changed so whom ever puts it in place can understand the logic.
If you like them, then use them and have fun.
The QT5 changes still compile on QT4, so you can keep both if you like.

Janus.

Topic author
Alexell M
Site Admin

Post #85by Alexell » 15.03.2017, 19:35

Janus, I have VS 2008, so your code probably will not be compiled from me. Continue to do what you do, and then we will test and discuss the options.
Admin of celestia.space
PC: Intel Core i7-8700 @ 3.20GHz, SSD, 16 Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, Creative Sound Blaster ZxR. Windows 10 x64.

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #86by Adirondack » 08.04.2017, 15:53

What will be the dev environment for 1.7.0?
QT4/5 I guess?

Or do you plan to change to QT for 2.0?

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

Topic author
Alexell M
Site Admin

Post #87by Alexell » 13.04.2017, 14:57

Adirondack, I would like to release Celestia 1.7.0 only QT. We are now thinking of improving the Celestial Browser to bring it to an ideal state. The Celestial Browser in QT version is very convenient and much better than in the usual version, but it needs to be modified. And not only him.
Admin of celestia.space

millan123ta
With us: 6 years

Post #88by millan123ta » 14.09.2018, 12:51

The next major release of Celestia, which will be either v1.7 or 2.0, is planned to use Nokia's publicly available Qt4 cross-platform user interface. This GUI will replace the platform-specific GUIs used by Celestia v1.6.1 and older versions. Instead of having to maintain several different user interfaces, only one GUI will have to be updated as new features are added to Celestia.

Return to “Development”