blackholes

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.

blackholes

Post #1by Guest » 27.03.2003, 15:21

newby question, can anyone make a convincing blackhole? I have downloaded one, a noble effort, I'm sure, respect to it's author, but it looks like a smartie.
I've seen impressions of, for eg a blackhole/star binary. the bh robbing the outer layers of its companion, it looks like milk going down a plughole (ok a bit more dramatic than that) There are plenty of other possible bh situations / sizes from primordial big bang microholes (these are probably responsible for missing car keys etc) to galactic centres.
The smartie one looks like the stuff is coming back out, maybe the rotation doesnt help, and a simple static disc/funnel with nice colours, perhaps an axial stream of ionised gas would work better.

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 10 months

re

Post #2by John Van Vliet » 28.03.2003, 22:14

I think that one is the best sofar ,I dont think that there are many black hole modles

ps . rass might me the best person to talk to ( BUT I WOULD NOT BUG HIM ABOUT IT )

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #3by Rassilon » 28.03.2003, 23:10

I dont mind...What I would personally go for is a model made in studio max of the acention disk with a very black center. The true representation of a black hole is more like a sphere of highly condensed matter which warps the space around it...problem with this of course is that in celestia you cannot simulate warped space...You can however simulate the disk of gas and trapped debris around the black hole. As for the jet stream that can be modeled as well...At some time I may play around with this and see what I come up with...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

High Dark Templar
With us: 22 years 1 month

Have you try my black hole model or is other one?

Post #4by High Dark Templar » 29.03.2003, 12:02

Look at :

http://usuarios.lycos.es/darktemplars/Index.html

There is my black hole model, I had no time to update the model and add more realistic but I will try in the future

MKruer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #5by MKruer » 30.03.2003, 05:21

As a little side note, black holes change there appearance depending if they are eating or not. Black Holes that are feeding off of other stars or dense regions of dust, will create an acceleration disk. The problem with the disk is that the event horizon would be so bright, that it would make seeing the back hole impossible, unless it was one of those supper massive ones, but and I might be wrong about this, the typical back hone could be measured in tens of kilometers

If it is not feeding if you could view it, you would recognize it seeing a black void as it passed in front of the light source, the gravitational lens would be so strong that it would take the starlight from behind it bend into little bent slices of light, sort of like the string of pearls effect during a solar eclipse. That is probably the closest real life example I can give you.

As for High Dark Templar’s black hole, its very good, but it is more of a super massive black hole that is not feeding.

ziggy
With us: 21 years 3 months

blackholes

Post #6by ziggy » 06.04.2003, 15:14

There are many possible blackhole configurations, some contrary to popular imagining eg in a supermassive(galactic) blackhole it could have reached the required mass to collapse with an average density roughly that of water, or less. Fascinating to attempt to portray one visually, as they are practically the definition of somthing you cant see, the effects on their surroundings is the nearest you can get. You could always cross the event horizon to see what its like, but it would remain a personal exprience.

me

Nasa JPL site with 3d black holes using cult3d java software

Post #7by me » 07.04.2003, 18:18

http://planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov/bh_launch_page.html

most impressive 3d blackhole for a goverment web site!!! :)

Ace_O_Spades
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #8by Ace_O_Spades » 18.04.2003, 21:51

i enjoyed playing around with that black hole

while im not entirely sure how it would be implemented into Celestia, however i am not very good at that sort of thing

Return to “Development”