Nine New Ring Gap Names

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Nine New Ring Gap Names

Post #1by selden » 10.02.2009, 14:41

The USGS has named nine more of the gaps in Saturn's rings.
It probably would be appropriate for ring_locs.ssc to be updated.

See http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/HotTopics/ ... ystem.html

A summary is available at http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00001835/

p.s.
There are several named ring features of other planets which aren't in ring_locs.ssc
See http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/append8.html
Selden

Derek
With us: 16 years 9 months

Re: Nine New Ring Gap Names

Post #2by Derek » 19.02.2009, 15:50

Selden looking at the various planetary ring systems the least developed is Jupiter's, depending on which textures one look's at 2 that I'm aware putting the names to them doesn't really match.
Saturn's new names are ok but fitting them so they are viewable is not easy, possible solution would perhaps be offsetting by a degree or 2 from 0 and 180.
Uranus and Neptune are not such a problem although again their rings are so faint that no textures exist the names just float in space no pun intended
Derek

granthutchison
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #3by granthutchison » 19.02.2009, 16:31

Derek wrote:Selden looking at the various planetary ring systems the least developed is Jupiter's, depending on which textures one look's at 2 that I'm aware putting the names to them doesn't really match.
Saturn's new names are ok but fitting them so they are viewable is not easy, possible solution would perhaps be offsetting by a degree or 2 from 0 and 180.
Uranus and Neptune are not such a problem although again their rings are so faint that no textures exist the names just float in space no pun intended
Your Jupiter ring textures must be add-ons, since there isn't one in the distribution version (for the simple reason that the rings are invisible to the naked eye).
I've revised Saturn's ring locations to match the official list, and will commit the changes in due course.
Uranus and Neptune's denser rings are visible in Celestia, if you get close to them, or silhouette them against the planet. Again, that was a deliberate effort to match visual appearances, as is the omission of those rings that would be completely invisible to the naked eye. Neptune's ring arcs are a problem: I'm not aware of a way of producing them convincingly in Celestia.

Grant

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #4by ElChristou » 19.02.2009, 19:19

granthutchison wrote:...Neptune's ring arcs are a problem: I'm not aware of a way of producing them convincingly in Celestia.

Indeed... What about using a mesh? Visually it could be the same I think...

Return to “Development”