3D Earth's Geological Features

All Lua-tools for Celestia in one forum.
Topic author
Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 1 month

3D Earth's Geological Features

Post #1by Fenerit » 07.12.2009, 00:20

This add-on replace and supersede the previous, location based.
All data cames from:

http://www.ig.utexas.edu/research/projects/lips/index.htm

MAJOR CHANGES:

- 3d models;
- correct hotspots locations accordingly to the link above;
- add "volcano" Type for hotspots;
- add more trench and fault names;
- add more LIPs location names;
- add land elevation and sea depth from NOAA ETOPO 1 min. global relief (10 min. grid) 68 Mb
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/gdas/gd_designagrid.html
prime numbers processed for reducing entries and for scattering distribution; except trenches' deepest depth locations, marked by "m" (meters) which apart Mariana, Yap, Tonga, must be considered generics;
- rebuilded PNG table accounting for unity of measures and the new elevation data;

The images above shows also Cham's tectonic plates model.

LUATOOLS users:
On how to gather one or more add-ons together, see the luatools readme within the zip.

Note: after having customized the 3d model's color, convert it in binary, much more fast.
http://marauder.webng.com/files/Geological_Features_3d.zip (1.8 Mb)

Enjoy,
Fenerit 8)
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Fenerit M

Re: 3D Earth's Geological Features

Post #2by Fenerit » 09.12.2009, 17:27

Advertisement for LUATOOLS users.

Since the new LUATOOLS 1.2 beta 7 allow the multilocations, please add the final "s" to locationtype directive:

The location directive is no longer
locationtype = {"linea","volcano"},
but
locationtypes = {"linea","volcano"}, (note the "s").
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #3by Fenerit » 29.03.2010, 00:24

This add-on has been undertaken to several enhancements and assessments. Thus I've decided to post an update to test, before to develop further and more time-consuming features. It comes with its main folder in which each feature has its own. An unique launching/re-launching script (easy to customize) show/hide all. The add-on is fastest and smooth on my antiquate computer, so there wouldn't be problems. The locations flag hold the default max. size of 20 but the importance. The result has been configured as follow: (note that level and zoom here are used as synonims)

First view:

At this level is showed just the plate locs. (note the "bite effect" due to the isochrons)
Isochrons and extincted ridges comes from here:
http://www.earthbyte.org/Research/Current/digit_isochrons.html#anchorFTP

Second view:

Here are on going names of faults/trenches/LIPs/hotspots/volcanoes (Cham's add-on). Volcanoes are the green "^".

Third view:

Now touch to the depth/elev. placed as grid, no longer scattered and the age of isochrones and LIPs respectively. The value of the same color of the plate are the plate velocity vectors (xyz) in mm/y (the motion in long/lat/height respectively. From here: http://sideshow.jpl.nasa.gov/mbh/series.html

Fourth view:

Start the minerals. (included). Beyond that zoom will be displayed the names of the subsea stuctures made year ago by Maxim). The earthquakes dataset comes from here:
http://www.isc.ac.uk/EHB/index.html
and are for the period 1964-2006 to which have been added the remains four years form here:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/epic/epic_global.php

Zip here:
http://marauder.webng.com/files/earth_geology.zip 3.70 Mb

P.S.
LUATOOLS users: as it is, such an add-on is not designed for, thus is require your manual insertion in them.
Feedbacks of any sort are appreciated, because then should be my intention to send it to ML.
Never at rest.
Massimo

scroll
With us: 18 years 4 months

Post #4by scroll » 08.04.2010, 02:59

Can you help? I am running your "earth geology" script but am not seeing any names or any legend, just dots and lines on the Earth's surface. All the sub folders and their data are in my extras folder but the script does not seem to be running them. Looks a good add-on too. Thanks!

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #5by Fenerit » 08.04.2010, 23:32

Probably the label features is deactivated. In menu "Render" select "Location" and check "label features" checkbox.
Never at rest.
Massimo

scroll

Post #6by scroll » 08.04.2010, 23:51

Thanks, that worked.
Is there a legend or something available to help me understand what I am seeing?

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #7by Fenerit » 09.04.2010, 00:11

Sorry, no. But you can see the "legend" in the first screenshot of this thread, or whether you download the Geologic features at the first link, in which there is the forementioned legend within the zip. Nonetheless, moreover there are:
Earthquakes depth:
0-70 km = yellow;
71-300 km = orange;
301-700 km = red
the plate velocity vectors = pink-orange;
age of isochones = gray (usually gray/white are the ages)
The legend mark the LIPs (large igneous provinces) as red, now they are maroons.
for the minerals you can find explanations about the elements here:
http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15617

I'm stay to eleborate further geologic features, then will be shipped more help than in the readme.

EDIT LATER:
DO NOT OVERWRITE THE FILES if you download the first link; take just the legend! 8O
Never at rest.
Massimo

scroll

Post #8by scroll » 10.04.2010, 03:02

Fenerit wrote:EDIT LATER:
DO NOT OVERWRITE THE FILES if you download the first link; take just the legend! 8O

Please can you explain what you mean here? Thanks.

I have the "earth_geology" folder in my Celestia extras folder. Are you saying I can add a legend to it?

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #9by Fenerit » 10.04.2010, 11:36

The way in which the earth_geology add-on is now structured doesn't allow the addition of a legend, since it is formatted in pure Celestia script mode and doesn't use neither any LUA routine, nor is configured to be inserted into the LUATOOLS. Anyhow such operations are feasibles and you can insert and view the legend following the way the first geologic version had. Another way to show the legend is through the use either of the LUA plug-in called picture Box or through the slideshow plug-in

Lua plug-ins:
http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15705

slideshow plug-in:
http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15834
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #10by Fenerit » 13.05.2010, 23:36

The next update, together with the Earth's geological provinces, will have even a GEOtools bar (thanks to Jogad's template) for managing this add-on. Usual scripts will be also included, so one can decide which is most suited for its needs.

Never at rest.
Massimo

scroll

Post #11by scroll » 16.05.2010, 15:00

Fenerit wrote:The next update, together with the Earth's geological provinces, will have even a GEOtools bar (thanks to Jogad's template) for managing this add-on. Usual scripts will be also included, so one can decide which is most suited for its needs.
When you reckon for the next update? Thanks.

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #12by Fenerit » 16.05.2010, 15:29

scroll wrote:
Fenerit wrote:The next update, together with the Earth's geological provinces, will have even a GEOtools bar (thanks to Jogad's template) for managing this add-on. Usual scripts will be also included, so one can decide which is most suited for its needs.
When you reckon for the next update? Thanks.

As soon as possible! :wink: Just some retouches...
Never at rest.
Massimo

scroll

Post #13by scroll » 16.05.2010, 18:05

Fenerit wrote:This add-on replace and supersede the previous, location based.
All data cames from:

http://www.ig.utexas.edu/research/projects/lips/index.htm

MAJOR CHANGES:

- 3d models;
- correct hotspots locations accordingly to the link above;
- add "volcano" Type for hotspots;
- add more trench and fault names;
- add more LIPs location names;
- add land elevation and sea depth from NOAA ETOPO 1 min. global relief (10 min. grid) 68 Mb
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/gdas/gd_designagrid.html
prime numbers processed for reducing entries and for scattering distribution; except trenches' deepest depth locations, marked by "m" (meters) which apart Mariana, Yap, Tonga, must be considered generics;
- rebuilded PNG table accounting for unity of measures and the new elevation data;

The images above shows also Cham's tectonic plates model.

LUATOOLS users:
On how to gather one or more add-ons together, see the luatools readme within the zip.

Note: after having customized the 3d model's color, convert it in binary, much more fast.
http://marauder.webng.com/files/Geological_Features_3d.zip (1.8 Mb)

Enjoy,
Fenerit 8)

I have been trying to duplicate these screen shots but am failing miserably. All I can see are some labels when I reduce the "Minimum Labeled Feature Size" in Celestia to it's minimum.

I downloaded the link you gave, http://marauder.webng.com/files/Geologi ... res_3d.zip.
I also downloaded the LUA plug-ins as given by you about 4 posts back.

That's as far as I've got. I couldn't follow your "readme_luatools" pdf because I don't have a .../lua_edu_tools/adds/ folder (or at least can't find it!).

How do you get all the other info: the legend, the plates, the info on the right hand side of the screen??

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #14by Fenerit » 17.05.2010, 18:13

Scroll wrote:
That's as far as I've got. I couldn't follow your "readme_luatools" pdf because I don't have a .../lua_edu_tools/adds/ folder (or at least can't find it!).

How do you get all the other info: the legend, the plates, the info on the right hand side of the screen??

Well, the ways are two.
1) the lua_plugins
2) the lua_edu_tools

Case 1)
When you have downloaded the lua_plugins, you will had see that the pictureBox (which is one of the plug-ins) show the pictures when the objects are selected. Through such a way and for a quick use, just to see how it work, you can place the legend within the ../lua_plugins/images/Earth/ folder and then rename it as "Earth_1.png". Done this, open with an editor the file "pictureBox.lua" (which is onto the ../celxx/ folder) and rename the file extension from ".jpg" to ".png". You must do this because the legend has transparent parts; in the case you do convert the legend as ".jpg" the transparency will be lost instead. However, you no longer will see the other images. This is at your choice: whether to convert even the others as ".png" or just the legend as ".jpg". Nonetheless it's a way to play a bit in seach for your favorites' settings.
Case 2)
This is the case for which the first geologic version was set in the beginning. But you must have the lua_edu_tools which are the "info on the right hand side of the screen". First, download the LUATOOLS here: http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13162&start=60 and then read the PDF with the instructions. Probably, you will find the case 2) much more fitted for your needs. BTW, the luatools now have also the plug-ins above included in it.
Never at rest.
Massimo

duds26
With us: 17 years 3 months

Post #15by duds26 » 19.05.2010, 14:44

Please use png, not jpg.
Png is lossless.

scroll

Post #16by scroll » 23.05.2010, 22:03

Fenerit wrote:Scroll wrote:

Well, the ways are two.
1) the lua_plugins
2) the lua_edu_tools

Case 1)
When you have downloaded the lua_plugins, you will had see that the pictureBox (which is one of the plug-ins) show the pictures when the objects are selected. Through such a way and for a quick use, just to see how it work, you can place the legend within the ../lua_plugins/images/Earth/ folder and then rename it as "Earth_1.png". Done this, open with an editor the file "pictureBox.lua" (which is onto the ../celxx/ folder) and rename the file extension from ".jpg" to ".png". You must do this because the legend has transparent parts; in the case you do convert the legend as ".jpg" the transparency will be lost instead. However, you no longer will see the other images. This is at your choice: whether to convert even the others as ".png" or just the legend as ".jpg". Nonetheless it's a way to play a bit in seach for your favorites' settings.
Case 2)
This is the case for which the first geologic version was set in the beginning. But you must have the lua_edu_tools which are the "info on the right hand side of the screen". First, download the LUATOOLS here: http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13162&start=60 and then read the PDF with the instructions. Probably, you will find the case 2) much more fitted for your needs. BTW, the luatools now have also the plug-ins above included in it.
Ok, well if the LUATOOLS also include the LUAPLUGINS then that seems to be the logical choice. So I will try for Case 2.

For the download link you provided for Case 2 are we looking at v1.2beta8, and if so do I choose the pre-compiled Windows executable or not?

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #17by Fenerit » 24.05.2010, 14:08

Yes, of course. The new luatools needs celestia 1.6.1 which is a svn compilation. Do backup your .exe before. I suggest that your read carefully how to install the tools within Celestia, do check well its features and then set forth the geologic features. Note that the new geologic version, when ready, will have the same settings; so if you achieve a good interaction, the new will be more easy to manage.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #18by Fenerit » 24.05.2010, 14:18

World's geologic provinces and its petroleum assessments (OverlayTexture).
Metallicity is due to the png layer overlaid on the specular texture and then set such texture as specular within altsurface directives. These are peer-user settings, easy to achieve, and in order to light the pack, the new update will hold just the 8k png layer. Who, as me, which have graphic card not so performants, please, mind to resize it.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #19by Fenerit » 31.05.2010, 00:31

Seismic hazard. Phong is achieved through the assignment of a bit of transparency to the SH png layer before to be overlaid on the specular texture (then the spec map has been specify within the altsurface).

Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #20by Fenerit » 01.06.2010, 09:33

As for "plastic" the layer must have lot of transparency with inverted colors before to be overlaid on the specular tex.

Never at rest.
Massimo

Return to “Lua-Tools”