Texture bug with the S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR card

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
Jorge
With us: 19 years

Texture bug with the S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR card

Post #1by Jorge » 28.09.2005, 20:00

Hi,

Since I'll upgrade my graphics card in a few days (to a Radeon 9500... any known problems with this one?) and expect that this bug will disappear with the upgrade, I thought I might as well document it while I have it.

The problem is that most textures show lines where there should be a seameless transition. The smaller textures have only one vertical line, but I've seen also horizontal lines in at least one texture, don't remember which right now. I may try to find it later on, and if I do I'll post an image then.

Below is a picture of our sun wearing the standard gstar.jpg texture. Notice the shape of the sunspots. If you open up the flat texture, you'll see that they correspond to the rightmost (the left one) and leftmost (the right one) spots in the texture, which means that the line is created by an incomplete (or imperfect) wrapping of the texture around the sphere.

(if this picture doesn't show up, try again a bit later - Flickr seems to be going through a hard time. Sorry about that)

So here it is, in case the developpers wish to tackle the issue. I doubt it's worth it, given the age and low power of this card (S3 Graphics Prosavage DDR, just to remind you. It's a 2003 card with no own memory), but here it is anyway.

(PS - the OS is Windows XP and the Celestia version doesn't seem to be relevant, since I've seen this with my first install, 1.3.2, and with the current 1.4pre6 install.)

Topic author
Jorge
With us: 19 years

Re: Texture bug with the S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR card

Post #2by Jorge » 28.09.2005, 23:14

I wrote:I've seen also horizontal lines in at least one texture, don't remember which right now. I may try to find it later on, and if I do I'll post an image then.

Found it, or at least one example of it:

This is the "Cernunnos" gas giant in Rob Sanders' fictional K Ceti system. The texture is a 2k JPG, whereas gstar.jpg is just 256x256. That may or may not be relevant.

Return to “Bugs”