Total crash of Celestia after 1.3.2 pre5 installation

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
ANDREA
With us: 22 years 1 month

Total crash of Celestia after 1.3.2 pre5 installation

Post #1by ANDREA » 16.03.2004, 21:03

I'm desperate! :cry:
I was using Celestia for educational purposes, with the 1.3.11 release and the KCelestia file. :D
The results were wonderful on our Athlon 2700+, 1 Gb 333 Mhz RAM, Nvidia GeForce 4600 Ti 128 Mb, WIN XP Home. :wink:
But, after installing the 1.3.2 pre5 I had some crash, and from yesterday on ALL the Celestia different directories on my PC, in both C and D Hard Disks (before using the "ADDONS" system, every .cel had its own Celestia directory, and I still have many of these cinfigured in such a way) when I launch the program I obtain the same result, the following error message: :evil:
There was an error in Celestia. The application will be closed.
The problem can be signaled to Microsoft ............
SEND DON'T SEND
but the incredible thing is that untill I don't push the SEND or DON'T SEND button, the display goes to (I think!) an awful 600x480. 8O
After pressing any of the buttons, the message disappears and the screen goes back to the usual 1024x768. :P
The only other thing I've done on the PC is that yesterday I have downloaded and installed 13 new WIN XP files (mainly safety ones) from Microsoft, and installed them, but as I told the problem started before this installation, even if it became TOTAL after that. :roll:
I have done the following tests: disinstalled ALL the Celestia.exe files, and installed the Celestia 1.3.2pre6 and a few minutes ago the pre7, naturally after having uninstalled the previous one, but with exactly the same results. :cry:
I've the Norton 2002 Antivirus, continually upgraded, and I check regularly for viruses on the PC, so I don't think this may be the problem.
Nobody else with the same results?

HELP PLEASE, I'M DESPERATE! :cry:

Hopefully :oops:

Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Darkmiss
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #2by Darkmiss » 16.03.2004, 23:57

Hello Andrea

verion 6 and 7 use a completly new version of the Celestia.cfg
and has new updated shaders too.

did you keep your old CFG file ?

Also did you load Celestia in fullscreen ?
try without fullscreen.
CPU- Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad ,2.40GHz
RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2
Motherboard- Gigabyte P35 DQ6
Video Card- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS + 640Mb
Hard Drives- 2 SATA Raptor 10000rpm 150GB
OS- Windows Vista Home Premium 32

Topic author
ANDREA

Post #3by ANDREA » 17.03.2004, 09:13

Darkmiss wrote:Hello Andrea version 6 and 7 use a completly new version of the Celestia.cfg and has new updated shaders too. did you keep your old CFG file ? Also did you load Celestia in fullscreen ?
try without fullscreen.

Hello Darkmiss, thank you for the help. :D
I have still the old .CFG files in every old Celestia directory (the ones that now are missing the Celestia.EXE file), and I'll try to eliminate these. :roll:
And yes, I open in fullscreen with the command --fullscreen, so I'll do it without. :roll:
I'll inform you on the results. :wink:
By soon

HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Darkmiss

Post #4by Darkmiss » 17.03.2004, 19:14

the reason for asking about fullscreen
Is when i used the KCelestia.exe before Pre6
Celstis started with an fatal error I wasnt sure what was wrong
(running at 1280x960 res)

So I ran KCelestia.exe from the directory and it ran fine in windowed mode.

I tried again from my shortcut, (fullscreen) but it failed again.

So I ran it once more from the exe file then selected a lower fullscreen resolution, and it worked in full screen. 1024x768

Then I set it to the scrren size I had it set to before, and ran KCelestia.exe from my shortcut once more, and all was fine again.

it just had a problem with the screen res, but clear itself in the end.
this problen has happened before with other exe's not just the Kcelestia.exe, only when i switch from one to another.

I hope this help you and others.

RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2

Post #5by Guest » 17.03.2004, 21:04

Darkmiss wrote: The reason for asking about fullscreen is when i used the KCelestia.exe before Pre6 Celstis started with an fatal error I wasnt sure what was wrong (running at 1280x960 res). So I ran KCelestia.exe from the directory and it ran fine in windowed mode. I tried again from my shortcut, (fullscreen) but it failed again. So I ran it once more from the exe file then selected a lower fullscreen resolution, and it worked in full screen. 1024x768 Then I set it to the scrren size I had it set to before, and ran KCelestia.exe from my shortcut once more, and all was fine again. It just had a problem with the screen res, but clear itself in the end. this problen has happened before with other exe's not just the Kcelestia.exe, only when i switch from one to another. I hope this help you and others.

Hello Darkmiss, thank you again for your help. :D
I tried your suggestions as follows: dismounted ALL my Celestia directories in both C and D HD, eliminating ALL Celestia.exe and Celestia .cfg files. :cry:
Then I installed once again 1.3.2 pre7, and the result is the same, both starting from icon on desktop (with --fullscreen) and from celestia.exe in Explorer, with the same 600x480 screen resolution. :cry:
But now I can give more details :roll: , as you can see in the following images:

This gives the "Ident", and don't know what does it mean :oops: , and

these give the beginning of the information on the problem, that has been sent to Microsoft and that I'm sure Chris and/or someone else will be able to understand, I'm not! :oops:
The problem is that this file is very long, and it seems impossible to copy and paste it, so if someone knows how can I do this, he'll be the welcome!
I spent many hours to clean up ALL my Celestia configuration, and I don't know what to do, apart the WIN XP reinstall, and this is the last thing I wish to do, it's a terrible experience! :evil:
Hopefully, as usual! :P
By soon

Topic author
ANDREA

Post #6by ANDREA » 17.03.2004, 21:56

Anonymous wrote:
Darkmiss wrote: I hope this help you and others.
Hello Darkmiss, thank you again for your help. :D

Sorry, the Guest was me. :oops:
All of a sudden we have again the previous problems, i.e. automatic logout and difficulties to connect to shatters.net. :cry:
By
Andrea :wink:

don
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #7by don » 17.03.2004, 23:56

Hello Andrea,

Does the crash happen when you try to RUN Celestia, or sometime when USING Celestia?
-Don G.
My Celestia Scripting Resources page

Avatar: Total Lunar Eclipse from our back yard, Oct 2004. Panasonic FZ1 digital camera (no telescope), 36X digital zoom, 8 second exposure at f6.5.

Topic author
ANDREA

Post #8by ANDREA » 18.03.2004, 08:42

don wrote:Hello Andrea, Does the crash happen when you try to RUN Celestia, or sometime when USING Celestia?

Hello Don, the crash happens immediately after the Celestia launch, equally if done by icon on desktop or by celestia.exe in Explorer. :cry:
The error message windows popups immediately, I never see the Celestia page opening. 8O
By and thank you. :P

don

Post #9by don » 18.03.2004, 10:13

Hi Andrea,

I am not familiar with KCelestia, so I do not know exactly how it is intertwined (runs side-by-side) with Chris' Celestia. If I remember right, it does use the Celestia Registry entries.

Let me ask you a couple more questions...

Have you un-installed KCelestia as well as Chris' Celestia before attempting a "clean" install?

Have you tried re-installing any of the previous Celestia versions?

Have you tried re-downloading the Celestia package you want to install, just in case the previous download was bad?

Are you having any other computer problems at all?

Are you familiar / comfortable working with the Windows Registry?

Hope we can get you back up and running soon!
-Don G.

Avatar: Total Lunar Eclipse from our back yard, Oct 2004. Panasonic FZ1 digital camera (no telescope), 36X digital zoom, 8 second exposure at f6.5.

Topic author
ANDREA

Post #10by ANDREA » 18.03.2004, 18:11

don wrote:Hi Andrea, I am not familiar with KCelestia, so I do not know exactly how it is intertwined (runs side-by-side) with Chris' Celestia. If I remember right, it does use the Celestia Registry entries.
Let me ask you a couple more questions...
Have you un-installed KCelestia as well as Chris' Celestia before attempting a "clean" install?
Have you tried re-installing any of the previous Celestia versions?
Have you tried re-downloading the Celestia package you want to install, just in case the previous download was bad?
Are you having any other computer problems at all?
Are you familiar / comfortable working with the Windows Registry?
Hope we can get you back up and running soon!

Hello Don, back from office, I'll try to reply to your questions:
1- No, I have only deleted both ALL KCelestia.exe and Celestia.exe I had on my PC, deleting them from my Explorer :roll:
2- No, I have only installed again the 1.3.2 pre7, I'll make the try later on, after dinner :wink:
3- I have no problems, with the exception of three threat alerts from my Norton Viruscan 2004, regarding Adware.Purityscan, Adware.Ncase and Adware.Istbar; but they are not viruses, and I tried to make the adviced actions, but uselessly, because the files in the "regedir" were not in the given subfolders (strange!) 8O
4- I've made some changes to the Registry in the past, so if someone gives me the right address I can go there and modify it. :)

I'm sure that you'll help me to find the solution, but if there will be no possibility, well, I see a long re-installing of ALL my software on the reloaded WIN XP (I hope not to do this, anyhow!). :evil:
By soon

Topic author
ANDREA

Post #11by ANDREA » 18.03.2004, 18:33

1- Don, I've just uninstalled, using the celestia uninstaller, ALL Celestias I had on my PC 8)
2- After this I have installed again the 1.3.1 pre11, and I have the same error message but, and this makes me hope, the screen remains at 1024x768 resolution, both if I launch from the desktop icon and from Explorer. :?
Does it make any sense? :roll:
By soon

don

Post #12by don » 18.03.2004, 19:30

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for all of your answers. I just re-read one of your messages, which included the following...
Andrea wrote:Image

I'm going to make a guess at the Module Name (ModName) "nvoglnt.dll" ... nVidia OpenGL NT driver DLL.

Are your nVidia graphics card drivers up-to-date? If so, you might want to re-download them and re-install them in case this particular file (ModName) got corrupted on your disk. If they are not up-to-date, it might be worth updating them now.

Let us know how it goes!
-Don G.

Post #13by Guest » 18.03.2004, 23:38

don wrote:Hi Andrea, Thank you for all of your answers. I just re-read one of your messages, which included the following...
I'm going to make a guess at the Module Name (ModName) "nvoglnt.dll" ... nVidia OpenGL NT driver DLL.
Are your nVidia graphics card drivers up-to-date? If so, you might want to re-download them and re-install them in case this particular file (ModName) got corrupted on your disk. If they are not up-to-date, it might be worth updating them now. Let us know how it goes!

Sorry Don, but I forgot :oops: that a few days ago I installed this (latest?) version of Nvidia drivers:
detonator-53.04_2.20wdm_win2kxp_international_whql.exe
Do you think that I should try to install again the older
detonator-52.16_win2kxp_english_whql.exe
that was working well (if you think that the new one could be not OK)? :roll:
Let me know your opinion, please, and thank you again for your effort to solve this problem. :D
If your opinion is to install the old drivers, can I do it simply or do I have to remove the actually installed ones?
If yes, how can I do it?
I've given a look in the Nvidia directory, but there is no uninstaller.exe.
So with Control Panel?
By

don

Post #14by don » 18.03.2004, 23:56

Hi Andrea,

Sounds like we are getting somewhere! :)

I would recommend that you re-download the nVidia drivers again, since it seems that one of it's files might be corrupt.

Then, re-install the new ones and try Celestia again.

If you have the same problem, then I would go back to your previous version of nVidia drivers.

How to un-install / re-install nVidia drivers? I do not know, since I use an ATI card. Hopefully there will be some information on their web site, or someone else here can help with this.

Good Luck!
-Don G.

Darkmiss

Post #15by Darkmiss » 19.03.2004, 00:06

I am currently useing the Detonator Drivers 53.03
and Nvidia relesed version 56.64 a few days ago, but I have not tried these yet.
But 53.03 work very well for me.

you could try 56.64 here :arrow: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_2k_56.64

or try the older 53.03 here :arrow: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_2k_53.03.html

No need to uninstall the older drivers
just run the exe and it will do it itself.

RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2

Topic author
ANDREA

Post #16by ANDREA » 19.03.2004, 09:34

Darkmiss wrote:I am currently useing the Detonator Drivers 53.03
and Nvidia relesed version 56.64 a few days ago, but I have not tried these yet. But 53.03 work very well for me. you could try 56.64 here :arrow: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_2k_56.64
or try the older 53.03 here :arrow: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_2k_53.03.html
No need to uninstall the older drivers, just run the exe and it will do it itself.

Thank you Darkmiss, I'll make the try. :D
My question on how to uninstall was due to the fact that in the Nvidia directory I have 2 subdirectories, one for 53.04 and the other for 52.16, and this appeared strange to me, normally new software versions cover the old one. :?
I'll inform you on results. :roll:
By and thank you again.

Darkmiss

Post #17by Darkmiss » 19.03.2004, 11:45

if you are talking about folders in the root of c:
these two directorys are the raw files used to install the files into the windows system.
once the drivers are installed these directorys can be deleted.

but windows XP will keep the older driver (within windows/system32)
as a backup so you can do a RollBack if things go wrong

RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2

Topic author
ANDREA

Post #18by ANDREA » 19.03.2004, 13:11

Darkmiss wrote:if you are talking about folders in the root of c:
these two directorys are the raw files used to install the files into the windows system. once the drivers are installed these directorys can be deleted. but windows XP will keep the older driver (within windows/system32) as a backup so you can do a RollBack if things go wrong

Hello Paul, yes, I have the c:\nvidia folder with the two 53.04 and 52.16 subdirectories, and I supposed this to be the right one and not the raw ones, so I've not given a look at System32. :oops:
Now I'm at office, but later I'll install the new drivers that I've just downloaded. :roll:
Stay tuned, I'll inform you. :wink:
By and thank you again

Post #19by Guest » 19.03.2004, 17:30

ANDREA wrote: Hello Paul, yes, I have the c:\nvidia folder with the two 53.04 and 52.16 subdirectories, and I supposed this to be the right one and not the raw ones, so I've not given a look at System32.
Now I'm at office, but later I'll install the new drivers that I've just downloaded. Stay tuned, I'll inform you. By and thank you again Andrea

Hoorayyyy!!! :D :D :D
It works again! :wink:
I have downloaded and installed the 56.64 version, no results. :cry:
Then I tried with 53.03 version and, wonderful, I have again Celestia on my PC! :D
I tried first with Celestia 1.3.1.1, works, then uninstalled it and tried with 1.3.2pre7, working perfectly (by the way, I agree with whom has written that the Saturn ring shadow is too dark!)
It's a very nice thing, and now I'll install again all the addons I have in the extras, that now are not working, because I have the info
THE .CFG FILE IS NOT OK :?
This means a little trouble, but the most important thing is that I can work again on my .cel projects. :wink:
Thanks a lot to Paul and Don who helped me to find the solution, and this once again gives the proof that the most beautiful feature of Celestia, is its people! :D
By soon and thanks a lot! :D

don

Post #20by don » 19.03.2004, 18:53

Hello Andrea,

Very glad to hear you can run Celestia again!!! :D

ANDREA wrote:... all the addons I have in the extras, that now are not working, because I have the info THE .CFG FILE IS NOT OK :?

Are you getting some kind of error message?

Unfortunately, re-installing some add-ons can be a tedious task. Especially those that require modifications to the base .SSC files :(

Good luck!
-Don G.

Return to “Bugs”