FOV jumps

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
FarGetaNik M
With us: 12 years 3 months

FOV jumps

Post #1by FarGetaNik » 08.11.2017, 19:15

This bug recently just got really anoying. Whenever I slpit the screen, go full-screen (Alt+Enter) or perform other random inputs, Celestia's field of view jumps to a ridiculously small value (a few degrees). Luckily I have the demo-script replaced with a script that sets my FOV to 37° so I can fix it with just hitting D.

Has anybody else encountered this problem? Right now I cannot really reproduce it as it seems to show up after Celestia is already running some time. I am using Celestia's in-dev version of 1.7, I think dev 7, but the bug certainly existed for a while in 1.7.

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years

Post #2by John Van Vliet » 08.11.2017, 22:35

that's a new one for me

never seen that issue

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #3by Chuft-Captain » 11.11.2017, 09:04

I've seen that many times in the past, and it's been around since forever (non sim time), and like you I have the D key mapped to a script (which sets FOV to 45deg in my case).

For me this only happens when...

Celestia is already minimized to the system tray:
min.jpg
min.jpg (6.61 KiB) Viewed 8433 times

and I then click on a celURL.

For this reason, I suspect it probably has something to do with an ambiguity as to the correct frustrum setup when restoring from a minimized state.
Without knowing too much about the technicalities, I suspect this may be difficult to solve, and in any case it's never really bothered me as it's easily resolved.
In fact, I sometimes encounter some really quite novel effects (think Space Oddysey 2001 / Interstellar), so I sort of hope that this *bug* / *feature* never actually gets fixed. :wink:

CC
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Topic author
FarGetaNik M

Post #4by FarGetaNik » 11.11.2017, 09:19

So I'm not the only one. Ok the conditions you described are quite different. I rarely minimize Celestia but stack progroms onto each other, but I know this bug also happens when I resize Celestia.

Normally it doesn't bother me either, but there are 2 instances when it is really annoying. If you don't expect the bug it happens that I am completely lost and don't even know what's going on on my screen because it is filled with a uniform color. Also, when I use split-screens the bug extends to every single view which makes it a nuisance to fix it on every single one. So I hope this bug gets fixed the way I experience it.

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #5by Chuft-Captain » 11.11.2017, 09:52

Yes, FOV normally changes in a minimal way whenever the window is resized, depending on how extreme the resizing is, and obviously occurs in an extreme way when restoring from minimized.
I haven't used the scenarios you describe (split screen etc) for a while, but I'm not at all surprised that this occurs in some degree in those situations as well.

Added after 49 minutes 29 seconds:
BTW,

You may not realize this, but when you're not using Celestia but want to keep it open, it's a good idea to minimize it rather than lkeaving it open behind other windows. When it's minimized, it appears to go into a sort of idle state and stops using CPU / graphics resources etc, thus allowing your computer / graphics card to run cooler and better (at least in Windows 7 anyway).

CC
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Topic author
FarGetaNik M

Post #6by FarGetaNik » 11.11.2017, 12:48

Chuft-Captain wrote:but when you're not using Celestia but want to keep it open, it's a good idea to minimize it rather than lkeaving it open behind other windows. When it's minimized, it appears to go into a sort of idle state and stops using CPU / graphics resources etc

Oh good to know! Usually I would pause Celestia hoping it will eat fewer resources and it seems to have an effect. I should test this out properly with the task manager...

callix
With us: 6 years 9 months

Post #7by callix » 29.11.2017, 05:29

This happened to me a couple of times now, one time when when the delivery truck came with my orders from 4WheelOnline. Last thing I remember I minimized it, when I return the view was like in small value as described.

Return to “Bugs”