Does Celestia use astar.jpg for our Sun??

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
Jugalator
With us: 19 years 10 months

Does Celestia use astar.jpg for our Sun??

Post #1by Jugalator » 10.02.2008, 05:24

Hi!

I'm using the Swedish locale of Celestia 1.5 (just in case that would matter), and was just now trying to use a solar texture add-on.

However, I soon found that it never accepted my gstar.jpg add-on in the hires folder, or even in any folders in Celestia's "standard" hierarchy (i.e. not the extras one).

So I renamed all default gstar.jpg's at once, and to my surprise, the Sun still had its spots and used the standard texture! I then renamed my extras directory to something else (although I had double checked before to ensure I wasn't overriding the texture here), and still got the same result.

I then renamed the standard textures folder to take out ALL the textures in Celestia, and then sure enough the Sun lost its spots as a clear sign it lost its texture.

So it wasn't about gstar, but some other texture. After some trial and error, I saw that the Sun lose it spots when I rename the astar.jpg files!! (and yes, at the same time as the standard gstar.jpg's are located in their lores+medres directories with their proper names)

Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: Btw, my celestia.cfg is unmodified from the stock settings, with the star classification "G" supposed to use "gstar.*". This all took me by surprise too, because it doesn't look white like a class A star, but I guess it's due to the yellow hue of the atmosphere or something? It sure doesn't seem to use gstar.jpg for me at least.

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #2by ajtribick » 10.02.2008, 10:18

Yes. This is a known bug relating to parsing of .stc files (the Sun gets defined in nearstars.stc). It has been fixed in the current SVN version.

See here and here for more details.

Topic author
Jugalator
With us: 19 years 10 months

Post #3by Jugalator » 10.02.2008, 15:58

Thank you! I should have looked around earlier, it would have saved me a few hours of sleep! :lol:

Return to “Bugs”