Please report problems with the MacOS X version here.

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
GerardJ

White screen solution...?

Post #81by GerardJ » 14.02.2003, 19:41

Actually, my lack of Quartz extreme was a symptom of an outdated (or incorrect or misbehaving... ) video card driver. Celestia's white screen was also a symptom of the same problem. ATI's Oct 2002 release osX driver wasn't working with OSX. The solution was a re-install of the 10.2.3 updater. Now both work, system as a whole seems faster and my screen looks sharper. I may be imagining that last part.

GerardJ wrote:
Bodkin wrote:I had the white screen problem. I realized that not only wasn't Celestia working, but Quartz Extreme wasn't working either.
Thanks for the tip. I'm not all to eager to turn Quartz extreme back on for my PCI based card. While it does improve the visual apperance of some things (like window drags) it dramatically increases the CPU load on my older machine.
I'm guessing that QE should probably be added to the list of requirements then?
Celestia would be the first app I'm aware of that fails to run if QE is not enabled, seems strange.

Juris

Mac OS X 10.2.4 update

Post #82by Juris » 14.02.2003, 21:14

After X.2.4 update Celestia shows only a couple of planets on a white background on my iBook 600. When traveling to invisibly white stars, the sky sometimes flashes in light pink color and then disappears again. Everything was working nicely before update...

-- Here come thanks for making this great app. Others have said it better, I'll just agree with them --

Juris

unable to download with any browser

Post #83by Guest » 15.02.2003, 17:14

All I get is a uselss 11k or 12k file, regardless of whether I use Navigator, Safari, or Explorer, and with or without using Speed Download.

It would be nice to be able to try the new version of Celestia. V.1.2.2 broke as soon as I installed "Jaguar."

Ira Adams

AKcrab

Download *does* work.

Post #84by AKcrab » 15.02.2003, 22:35

I have downloaded celestia 1.2.5 successfully from sourceforge.net. Both the upgrade and the full version work fine. I don't know if versiontracker mislinked it or what, but 9,999 people have managed to get it there.

Post #85by Guest » 16.02.2003, 06:49

The point is that the download does not work HERE!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I'll take a look at sourceforge.

boertje
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #86by boertje » 16.02.2003, 09:41

Yes there is some weird behaviour on the sourceforge-download but check out the 12k file you got, its actually not a dmg but the html where you can choose a mirror. Do a little investigation in that and you'll get the right download-link.
So you're not the only one ;)
Uploaders please fix that.

Topic author
HankR

Post #87by HankR » 16.02.2003, 18:38

Is it possible that instead of clicking the link to download, some people are using a "download link" command, not realizing that the link is to the mirror selection page html rather than the actual download file? Or is the problem that their browser is not properly handling the html, and is treating it as a download rather than a web page? Either way it sounds like a problem on the users end, not something the uploaders can fix.

- Hank

GerardJ

White screen solution...?

Post #88by GerardJ » 17.02.2003, 00:36

Bodkin wrote:I had the white screen problem. I realized that not only wasn't Celestia working, but Quartz Extreme wasn't working either.

I've managed to find a setup that works for me now.
I need to have ROM version 119 on the card, the October update and fiddle with the system config so that Quartz Extreme is enabled.
When I do that, both my monitors work and Celestia runs as it should (very nicely that is).

boertje

Post #89by boertje » 17.02.2003, 08:47

Ok the download works for me now. Maybe this was a problem with my default mirror being down or so.

julesstoop

Post #90by julesstoop » 20.02.2003, 00:50

Very first (very short time to test) 10.2.4 experiences with Celestia 1.2.5 alpha2: (G4-400 sawtooth, 704 MB SDRAM, ATI rage pro128 &16MB VRAM @ 1152*870*32, so no QE, approx Celestia windowsize: 1000*700)

- Large-texture-resembles-garbled-desktop-and-finder-
windows-above-certain-celestia-windowsize-bug: Fixed!

- General feel: Improved

- Application Launch Time: still (very) slow (slow machine, XL stardatabase, so could be my problem 8)

As is allready a very usefull piece of software, and it seems that in my case Apple's improved OpenGL (and new ATI-drivers) fixed some of the older problems.
Lapinism matters!
http://settuno.com/

Matt McIrvin
With us: 22 years 6 months

Still there

Post #91by Matt McIrvin » 21.02.2003, 03:14

julesstoop wrote:- Large-texture-resembles-garbled-desktop-and-finder-
windows-above-certain-celestia-windowsize-bug: Fixed!

I'm still seeing the garbled textures on Earth (beta 2, OS 10.2.4) for some specific window sizes and shapes. It seems to be less common than before, but that might be an illusion. It's not acting that way simply above a certain threshold; it comes and goes in a hard-to-predict way as you resize the window, and increasing the window size will often fix it.

I've got an ATI Radeon 7500, 32 MB VRAM.

julesstoop

Explanation?

Post #92by julesstoop » 21.02.2003, 14:15

You're right. My conclusion was very preliminary... However, on my system the bug usually appears at larger windows sizes, and for me, making them smaller does the job. I have the feeling that in my case there is a threshold, which is slightly higher than before (that's why I didn't notice in the first place)

Possible explanation for my system's predictable behaviour, and your's behaving impredictable:

Quartz Extreme. When you make the Celesta window larger, you're actually obscuring other Open GL textures from other windows. If the obscured textures gives you back more video-memory than the larger Celestia window takes, you might cross the threshold, even though Celestia by itsself takes more of the memory. So larger window might mean lower total use of VRAM.

In my system, no QE, Celestia is allways the only Open GL app running, so my threshold is directly related to the amount of VRAM Celestia consumes, so increasing window size allways increases the total amount of VRAM used.
Lapinism matters!
http://settuno.com/

marcof
With us: 21 years 6 months

same earth garbling texture again..

Post #93by marcof » 21.02.2003, 15:39

click for large image
as you can see, textures on earth garbled, sometimes it is af earth is only in blach&white, and only very rarely earth appears ok..

running 1.2.5/OSX of celestia (although the about box shows something else!) on OSX 10.2.4, iBook700, ATI radeon 7500

anyone???

Jeandecrom

Celestia OsX download :-(

Post #94by Jeandecrom » 25.02.2003, 08:32

Hi,
It's impossible for me to download it for MacOs X. I have a .dmg that makes only 10.9 Kb ...

What can I do ?

Thanks

bryanc
With us: 21 years 6 months

Install problems and an interesting bug

Post #95by bryanc » 01.03.2003, 02:58

Greetings. I'm new to Celestia, but my initial impression is very favorable. This is an amazing piece of software!

I had version 1.2.4 working fairly well on my 667 TiBook (512 Mb, 32 Mb ATI Radeon something-or-other (how do I find out what graphics card is in my computer?)), but I seem to have broken it.

I downloaded the latest version (1.2.5) from this site, but I'm hesitant to install it because I don't want to overwrite all the goodies I've put into the extras/texture/etc directories. (Is there an easy way to up date the executable without overwriting everything else, or should I back up my extras/textures/models directories and then copy them back after I've installed the new version?)

In order to try the new version, I re-named my old version and installed the new version from the disk image. However, when I run it, it claims to be the old version (1.2.4). Any suggestions?

Also, I've downloaded and installed a few medium resolution textures, and encountered a bug when I look at earth (the bug may be affecting other objects too, but I wouldn't notice). The texture is inverted East/West. I've tried to attach a screenshot to this message so you can see what I mean.

[img]file:///Users/bryanc/Desktop/chiralitybug.jpg[/img]

I look forward to any and all suggestions, and future developments, with baited breath.

Cheers

Vinc26
With us: 21 years 7 months

Post #96by Vinc26 » 08.03.2003, 09:54

Hi, :D

A next realase ? When ? Please !

Vinc' :wink:
G4 bi867 - Gforce 4MX 64Mo - MacOSX.2.3

kuran

Post #97by kuran » 18.04.2003, 01:04

Looking forward for a OSX release of 1.3.0

hankR

Post #98by hankR » 18.04.2003, 21:02

I hope to have a new version of Celestia for Mac OS X based on the 1.3.0 code ready to go in a few days.

It will be incomplete, and there will be bugs, but it should be an improvement over the previous OS X version.

- Hank

Post #99by Guest » 20.04.2003, 00:49

Waiting... eager...

Jules Stoop

Startyger
With us: 22 years 4 months

OSX version would be definitely great!!!!

Post #100by Startyger » 22.04.2003, 23:33

VIVA CELELSTIA!!!! I'm using it at school.. can't wait to teach astronomy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! win machines abound at the school.. but because the new compaqs keep crashing etc. (even running XP) and the old Mac LC's are still going strong..... the School is looking into macs.... just two i ask... a laptop.. and a desktop.... so i can put Celestia on a big screen (via projector)!!!!!! thank you i will support Celestia on the mac platform... even if i have to pay.... :-( ;-)
"then He smiled at me...pa-rump-a-pum-pum..... me and my drum"

Return to “Bugs”