Please report problems with the MacOS X version here.

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
alphap1us
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #161by alphap1us » 28.07.2004, 07:04

Hi Simon,
I have an ibook 800 at home with a Radeon 7500 and don't remember any problems that glaring though. I would wait until 10.3.5 drops and then report if there's still a bug.

Cheers,
Joe

folks
With us: 20 years 1 month

Cycling Rending Paths Causes Celestia To Unexpectedly Quit

Post #162by folks » 30.07.2004, 16:16

Cycling Rending Paths Causes Celestia To Unexpectedly Quit

Display | Options | Cycle Rending Paths -- Ctrl - V
Repeat three times

Displays:

Basic
MultiTexture
( long pause ) then Celestia unexpectedly quits.

--Scott
Mac OS X 10.3.4 :: Celestia 1.3.1 :: Nvdia GForce 4 MX 32MB

folks

Frame Rates for Movie Capture with Mac OSX?

Post #163by folks » 04.08.2004, 23:58

Using Celestia 1.2.2 frames were rendered at a rate of 30 - 80 fps
Most times above 60fps

Moving to Celestia 1.3.1 there was a radical drop in rendering
to between 3 and 20 fps.
Most times above 6fps

When I use SnapX Pro for video capture with 1.3.1 it tends to cut my fps
in half. When I use it with 1.2.2 it hardly works at all since it appears that Celestia 1.2.2 takes most of the CPU cycles.

I would like to capture video at 30 fps

I have found or diced textures into a VT format which helps, but not enough. Any other ideas are most welcome.

I would also be interested to know the kind of frame rates people
are getting on Mac OSX flying with virtual texture.

I don't know if it is worth while trying to find a faster video card, or
perhaps trying to borrow a G5 for rendering. Feedback with hardware spec and fps would be most helpful.

Thank you,

-- Scott
Mac OS X 10.3.4 :: Celestia 1.3.1 :: Nvdia GForce 4 MX 32MB

folks

Window Sizing Changes What Is Rendered

Post #164by folks » 09.08.2004, 16:31

Window Sizing Changes What Is Rendered

For example: If I remove my addOns folder and add only
the infra-red milky way: mw-msx-2k.png (360KB, 16Jun03)

http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/billboard.html

mw-msx shows up as a "target name" and I can go to it but at most Celestia window sizes it does not appear. Since there is no way to set the window size in a cel script ( that I know ) it is a little difficult to reproduce.

To Reproduce Problem:

Only addon to 1.3.1 release should be the one noted above.
(likely will reproduce with other addons in place)

Paste: cel://Follow/mw-msx/2004-08-09T15:52:35.84541?x=AAAAAAA4VI6EJhQh&y=AAAAAAA6zEfOpic6&z=AQAAAACAVaU6VK+m/f///w&ow=-0.046566&ox=-0.457573&oy=0.887433&oz=0.030347&select=mw-msx&fov=15.332639&ts=1.000000<d=0&rf=51863&lm=0

Size the Celestia window to its smallest possible size. Release the mouse.
Drag the Celestia window to almost full size. Release the mouse. Gradually reduce the size of the window. About half way up the diagonal I get the milky way lighting up and it stays visible to the smallest window size. If I then enlarge the window, even a bit, it disappears. You may find that it appears and disappears at different window sizes. Although it seems to stay visible for longer bits as you make the window smaller.

There are other window sizes where it becomes visible but they are difficult to find. I suspect power of two boundaries with some height to width ratio relative to ???.

I have experienced a similar problem with other non-VT textures particularly with emissive textures, hot spots on Io, colors IR on Titan.

I had similar problems, although not as extreme in lack of visibility with large non-VT textures.

Just went to look at the dimensions of the mw-msx-2k.png: 2048 x 2048.
The image is long and skinny. I guess it has to be this dimension to be mapped as a tile on the projection sphere.

Hank, if there is still no progress on the Mac version, I am a little rusty, but maybe I can help.

-- Scott
Mac OS X 10.3.4 :: Nvdia GForce4 MX 32 MB :: Dual 867MHz G4 :: Celestia 1.3.1

ravi joshi

Crash!

Post #165by ravi joshi » 09.08.2004, 17:50

Hey,

I'm using the most up to date version of celestia. It loads and all, but then crashes after I "travel to the first few planets. but it doesn't just crash the software, my whole computer goes. I have to restart. I don't know where the crash log is and I therefore cannot tell you anything specific. I may have to reinstall Mac OS 10.3, but if this indeed is a celestia problem, I would suggest an effort to isolate the crash to the app, rather than the whole computer, as well a more apparent crashlog.

-Ravi

SimonSays

Post #166by SimonSays » 09.08.2004, 23:30

"I would wait until 10.3.5 drops and then report if there's still a bug."

Just installed the update today, which includes updated drivers for ATI and NVIDIA... the bug is still present. :cry:

Ravi: see my above posts, and try seldon's advice about editing the config.

julesstoop
With us: 22 years 5 months

Bug since 10.3.5

Post #167by julesstoop » 12.08.2004, 23:41

I've got a very nasty bug since I installed 10.3.5: with ring shadows on my entire computer just freezes a few seconds after I've tried to center on any of the ringed planets. I don't get a kernel-panic but nothing works except for my mouse pointer, which remains smooth. All of celestia remains visible, by the way. The only escape seems to be a forced hardware reboot (pressing power button).

I tested a bit more and went close to Saturn with shadows off, and turned them on. I got to see Saturn with intact ring shadows (on rings and on planet), but on the lit side the rings were sort of spiked (about 12? spikes), like a bycicle wheel. If I switch back to shadows-off within 2 seconds all is fine, the shadows disappear and I can return to my little universe. If I wait any longer, my computer freezes as described above.

edit: b.t.w. none of aforementioned problems happened with 10.3.4 though ring-shadows weren't working at all for me before 10.3.4

Other heavy OpenGL-apps seem to work fine (X-Plane, ATI-demos, etc...)

System:

PowerBook al 1 Ghz, Radeon Mobility 9600 (64 MB), OS X 10.3.5, Latest Celestia Mac version, no mentionable hacks
Lapinism matters!
http://settuno.com/

Rich

Bump Map = always-on nitelites (repost from other forum)

Post #168by Rich » 17.08.2004, 15:19

(Sorry, I didn't post this in the Mac bug forum before)

Hi,
Whenever I use a bump/normal map, my nightside lights stay on all the time, whether day or night... Anyone else having this problem?

( Mac G4 dual1.25mhz / 1GB ram / os 10.2.8 / GForce4TI4600 )

-RichBack to top

Return to “Bugs”