the moon isent crashing dawn after all

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
auscreely

the moon isent crashing dawn after all

Post #1by auscreely » 29.10.2002, 03:09

I found that when you go forward in time that the moon starts crashing into the earth :(
Well i was watching the discovery channle and i found out that the moon isent going to hit the planit it is going to fly off!!!
this would have to be put into celestia or atleast fix the moons orbit.

if anybody noes haw to do this then pleas tell me
thank you!

erostosthenes
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #2by erostosthenes » 29.10.2002, 03:43

the moon crashing into the earth in celestia is not a misconception on the programmer's (chris') part. it's just a bug. i'm very sure chris knows the moon is moving away. this is fairly well-known among astronomers, and i'm assuming chris is an astronomer.

Topic author
auscreely

ok

Post #3by auscreely » 08.11.2002, 00:06

thank you for telling me!
by the way you can fix the moon by getting red of the moons custum orbit and just reseting the semy major axis :wink:
The moon dosent wable or cresh :)

erostosthenes

Post #4by erostosthenes » 08.11.2002, 03:14

but this won't predict eclipses properly i think (getting rid of the custom orbit tag).

Aya Reiko
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #5by Aya Reiko » 08.11.2002, 19:05

http://www.celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1241

Please read the posts before posting any bug reports.

Auscreely

Ignor

Post #6by Auscreely » 18.11.2002, 02:01

I will ignore the post abov this one :roll:

Now it wont predict the eclipses proporly but it will stop the moon from crashing, and if you use the moons custom orbit on any other planit or moon it will do the same thing. The stupid file is buggy can somebody just replace the file insted of trying to cover it up with another .scc file :x

If anybody has a new moon orbit file put it hear.

P.S. Make shour it slowly moovs away from earth untill it just flys off, then the earths axsis will wobble like hell.

selden
Developer

Post #7by selden » 18.11.2002, 04:23

Auscreely,

Your description of the moon's future doesn't match anything I've read. Can you supply a reference?

My understanding is that the diameter of the moon's orbit will stabilize when its period is the same as the Earth's rotational period. That'll be several billion years from now when they're both about 45-50 of our current days in length. But the sun will have become a red giant by then, anyhow...
Selden

Auscreely

sun

Post #8by Auscreely » 21.11.2002, 22:12

You mack an intoresting point, the stars dont adge.
Shoudent all of the stars eventulay tern into red giants and then wight dwarvs and then int nothing.

but then you coul make the bigger stars tern into black holes.

selden
Developer

Post #9by selden » 21.11.2002, 23:09

Aus',

Well, the way stars age is rather more complicate than what you mention, but you're right: it'd be nice if Celestia could eventually include ways to show all the stars aging appropriately.

Right now the only way to do is with the new Beginning and Ending directives in .SSC files, replacing their surface textures over a long period of time. Doing that for a few example stars might be a fun project for someone. (hint, hint). :)

It'd take some research, of course: learning about the Hertzprung-Russell diagram, ratios of masses to evolutionary rates, etc.
Selden

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #10by Rassilon » 21.11.2002, 23:29

selden wrote:Aus',

Well, the way stars age is rather more complicate than what you mention, but you're right: it'd be nice if Celestia could eventually include ways to show all the stars aging appropriately.

Right now the only way to do is with the new Beginning and Ending directives in .SSC files, replacing their surface textures over a long period of time. Doing that for a few example stars might be a fun project for someone. (hint, hint). :)

It'd take some research, of course: learning about the Hertzprung-Russell diagram, ratios of masses to evolutionary rates, etc.

Why not :mrgreen:

I thought about doing this with a program of sorts that would script it to be a smooth transition...This of course would require a rather large ssc file so programming would be the only feasable method timewise ;)
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Return to “Bugs”