1.4.1 behaves weirdly after compilation from source

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
dab
With us: 22 years 8 months

1.4.1 behaves weirdly after compilation from source

Post #1by dab » 04.04.2006, 16:08

I just downloaded and compiled Celestia 1.4.1, --with-kde, on Debian.
Compilation went smoothly, and Celestia starts up with splash screen and all.

However, its behaviour is passing strange. The objects "are" not where they are displayed. I see constellation boundaries, orbits and labels (planets, stars and constellations), as well as stellar flares at startup, but no stars or planets are rendered. As soon as the title fades out, Celestia zooms out into nothingness, as it were to infinity, even outside the Celestial Grid, which I see from the outside, as a sphere, before it disappears. The screen is then entirely black, but I can normally navigate between objects (exceping that I don't see them).

If I press escape early enough, objects are still marked where labelled, but as soon as I try to zoom in to them, I'm back out in nothingness again.

I do not understand this, it seems to be a software bug unrelated to my specific system setup. However, I get lots of "X Error: GLXBadRenderRequest 183" and "X Error: GLXBadLargeRequest 184" in the terminal while the program is running.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #2by selden » 04.04.2006, 16:39

Did you download the v1.4.1 source kit
or did you download the current CVS files?

The current CVS code is in the middle of major changes.
Selden

Topic author
dab

Post #3by dab » 04.04.2006, 16:51

no, no CVS, I just downloaded celestia-1.4.1.tar.gz from sourceforge.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #4by t00fri » 04.04.2006, 17:00

dab wrote:no, no CVS, I just downloaded celestia-1.4.1.tar.gz from sourceforge.

But starting a /freshly/ compiled 1.4.1 you should NOT see a celestial grid! So you must have made some modifications! I hope you did not use an OLD celestia data directory with add-ons etc.

Please make a CLEAN install after compiling. If your system +1.4.1 is correctly setup, your observed behaviour just cannot occur. Don't forget e.g. I have compiled 1.4.1 Linux-KDE > 100 times without the slightest problems ;-)

Bye Fridger

Topic author
dab

Post #5by dab » 04.04.2006, 17:28

correct, I switched the grid on manually. The controls all work fine, you see, and I switched on as many features as possible to see what would be displayed before I submitted this.

But I will check if there were any leftovers from previous installations now, hang on...

I suppose it must have something to do with traces of earlier installations :?
I tried to compile and run 1.4.0 now too, and its behaviour is exactly the same. Now there was indeed an earlier 1.3.0 (I think) installation on my system (which I had removed some time ago). But I have cleaned out all traces I could find, deleted /usr/share/celestia, /etc/celestia.cfg and /etc/kde3/celestiarc, but no difference. What other things may I have to remove before installing 1.4?

Return to “Bugs”