shadows

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
erostosthenes
With us: 21 years 9 months

shadows

Post #1by erostosthenes » 27.09.2002, 05:52

i've noticed two oddities with the way celestia produces eclipse shadows.

1. eclipse shadows still occur on luminous objects, like companion stars.

2. (i only know this cos i saw shadows on a companion star) the shadows wrap around to the back of objects. it's not noticeable on a large object (in this case, you just get a clone shadow on the back of the object) but for a small white dwarf companion, an eclipse shadow can wrap around the top of the star and down to the back. kind of weird.

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #2by Rassilon » 28.09.2002, 19:38

The best fix for that right now is disabling them...Im sure chris will fix this as soon as he can...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

chris
Site Admin

Post #3by chris » 28.09.2002, 20:00

Rassilon wrote:The best fix for that right now is disabling them...Im sure chris will fix this as soon as he can...

I fixed it last night . . . it will appear in this weekend's prerelease (sorry . . . one last pre before the real thing!)

--Chris

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #4by t00fri » 28.09.2002, 23:55

chris wrote:
Rassilon wrote:The best fix for that right now is disabling them...Im sure chris will fix this as soon as he can...
I fixed it last night . . . it will appear in this weekend's prerelease (sorry . . . one last pre before the real thing!)

--Chris

Chris:

I have coded the AutoMag limiting magnitude at 45deg to be read from celestia.cfg. This has been requested by various users and indeed appears useful.

Do you want me to check this in before the 1.2.5final is out?

Bye Fridger

Rassilon

Post #5by Rassilon » 29.09.2002, 06:03

chris wrote:

--Chris

Sweet! Thanks bud ;)
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Topic author
erostosthenes
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #6by erostosthenes » 29.09.2002, 20:15

is it possible to add specularity from an emissive object? say a planet in a system with a red giant and a white dwarf will have varying levels of light falling on it and two specular sources. it's easy enough to find a white dwarf or a red giant and add the other to its system, but the other objects you add to the system only care about the tag "planet" "star" when showing their specularity or just how their lit.

Return to “Bugs”