Celestia causes the WHOLE system stop responding.

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
yaohua2000
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #1by yaohua2000 » 31.12.2004, 09:33

I've just downloaded a copy of Celestia version 1.3.2 from sourceforge.net. While I was trying to go some object, the system stop responding first, but the mouse pointer can move, after about 5 seconds, even the mouse pointer cannot move. The whole system stop responding and I've to press the Power button for about 6 seconds to shut down the computer and restart it.

My computer is iBook G4 1.0 GHz with 768 MB memory, the video adapter is ATI Radeon 9200, you can find the detailed configuration from Apple. The operating system is Mac OS X 10.3.7.

This serious problem seems occurs randomly, but very frequently.

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #2by Cham » 31.12.2004, 16:51

This problem is related to the video card, and is caused by two simultaneous things : bugs in the 1.3.2 port of Celestia for OS X, and bugs in the video card drivers. I experienced the problems on some eMacs at work, which are using some ATI video card. I have an ATI at home, but my problem was solved by a special experimental port of Celestia.

I hope Celestia OS X will be updated very soon by Hank.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Pierre Tournay
With us: 19 years 9 months

Post #3by Pierre Tournay » 03.01.2005, 22:03

Hello

I noticed a very similar thing with my Toshiba P20 laptop.
I downloaded about 1.5 Gb of add-ons and figured my laptop could handle it

3 Ghz processor, 1 Gb RAM, GeForce 5200 3D graphics card with 64 Megs of memory on it.....

I have so many deep sky objects loaded in my "Extra" folder that the systemn works great as long as I don' t display the deep sky objects.
If I do, it freezes and I have to shut everything down using the power button.

It feels like Celestia is loading every single deep sky objects even if I just want to see M42 alone. When I try to move around M42, it seems that too much computing power is needed and the whole system locks up.

The problem goes away if I don' t press the key "U" to display the deep sky objects.

Another thing that is sad is the fact that the add-on of the WMAP (Cosmic Microwave Background) always appears on top of the Sun, Earth, Moon, planets etc and there does not seem any way to turn it on or off at will.
It is always there and the only way I found to not display it is to remove the add-on folder out of Celestia. Too bad....Such a nice add-on.

I soooo look forward to the fix because displaying deep sky objects adds an incredible visual punch to my presentations and the kids love it...

Sincerely
Pierre Tournay
Montreal

Wurlitzer/ guest

Post #4by Wurlitzer/ guest » 08.01.2005, 22:24

Same problem here with an iBook G4 1,33Ghz with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9200.
The whole System stops to respond after about 5 seconds

Return to “Bugs”