Post Bugs Here

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
karol

hm

Post #21by karol » 09.05.2004, 18:07

I experienced a stragne bug. When you have gone to a planet/object .If you press 'G' button the second time it'll go to the surface, i'm not sure if it's a bug, but i think that's strange, especially that the textures are veeeery yuki @ ~100 m near the surface

Post #22by Guest » 11.05.2004, 08:57

Hi again, selden,
It indeed does crash when I try to visit Mars. When I set the render path to basic, there's no problem.

My Radion driver is 6.14.10.6368 (7/6/03). I'm not sure if this is version. If it's not, do you know how I can obtain it? ATI's website mentioned something about a Catalyst Driver, but I'm not sure if that's the right one.

Thanks.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #23by selden » 11.05.2004, 10:56

"Catalyst" is just ATI's fancy name for their driver software. (Nvidia calls theirs "ForceWare".) Since your drivers are a year old, you really do need to upgrade. They've fixed quite a few bugs since last summer.

Go to the Web page http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

Select your operating system, "graphic drivers" and "Radeon Family", then select "Go". On the new Web page, select either the one large download or the three smaller ones, depending on your line speed. They've just broken the large package into smaller, slightly more managable pieces for dialup modem users: you'll need at least the first two parts.

On this last page, there's also a link to "installation tips". Be sure to read and follow the steps listed there.
Selden

selden
Developer

Post #24by selden » 11.05.2004, 11:06

Karol,

Every time you type "G" Celestia takes you closer to the selected object. Some very high resolution maps are available to make the experience less "yuky".
Selden

ulillillia
With us: 20 years 3 months

Post #25by ulillillia » 29.05.2004, 15:31

I'm using Celestia 1.3.1 [just downloaded it yesterday] and if you were to press and hold the k key for about 3 or so seconds where the time is like a sextillionth that of normal, all of a sudden you get a message saying "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". Clicking the details, I get something in the way of "[program name] caused an invalid page fault at module [?]".

My graphics card, though I don't think would be needed, is a Radeon 7000 series. I use Windows 98 SE.
High elevation is the best elevation; the higher, the better the view!

Onitake
With us: 20 years

Memory leak in Celestia 1.3.2?

Post #26by Onitake » 08.09.2004, 01:14

hi, i just upgraded celestia to the current version (1.3.2).
unfortunately, it became unusable now:
the main window comes up without anything shown in the kglwidget, and memory usage skyrockets until the kernel kills the process.
the last messages on the console are these:
... some kde stuff ...
nStars: 112524
Initializing ARB vertex programs . . .
Loading ARB vertex program: shaders/diffuse_arb.vp
Loading ARB vertex program: shaders/specular_arb.vp
Loading ARB vertex program: shaders/haze_arb.vp
Loading ARB vertex program: shaders/bumpdiffuse_arb.vp
Loading ARB vertex program: shaders/bumphaze_arb.vp
Loading ARB vertex program: shaders/shadowtex_arb.vp
Loading ARB vertex program: shaders/diffuse_texoff_arb.vp
Loading ARB vertex program: shaders/rings_arb.vp
Loading ARB vertex program: shaders/ringshadow_arb.vp
Loading ARB vertex program: shaders/night_arb.vp
Loading ARB vertex program: shaders/glossmap_arb.vp
All ARB vertex programs loaded successfully.
render path: 3

this is very strange, because the version i used before (1.3.0) worked just fine. can someone give advice?
here's my config:
gentoo linux w/ kernel 2.4.26, xfree86-4.3.0-r6, ati-drivers-3.11.1, KDE 3.2.3, C(XX)FLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp"
Athlon XP 2100+ (model 6), ATI Radeon 9000 64MB VRAM, 768MB DDR333 RAM, ASUS A7V8X, 500MB swap

maybe it works if i start celestia in gtk mode. how do i do that? judging from the compiler output, both interfaces seem to be compiled in.

arj

Premature sunsets on Earth

Post #27by arj » 25.09.2004, 16:29

When I have the camera positioned close to the surface of the Earth, the athmosphere darkens and gets a nice red colour near the western horizon when the sun is still maybe as much as 5-10 degrees above the horizon.

I would expect the athmosphere to look like this when the sun is touching the horizon or is slightly below it.

I have put an illustration at http://arj.nvg.org/vaskepulver/celestia-sunset-bug.jpg

I am running Celestia 1.3.2 on Windows XP Home ed. SP1 and rendering OpenGL to an ATI Mobility Radeon 9200.

Seb
With us: 20 years

Problem with Sun to Earth Distance?

Post #28by Seb » 26.09.2004, 21:14

According to the verbose details the Sun is nearer to the Earth during winter. I've tried this from various observations and get the same results.

----------

Celestia: 1.3.2 Final
CPU: 3.2ghz Pentium HT, 512mb Ram
GPU: nVidia Geforce4 MX 440 (61.77)

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 7 months

Re: Problem with Sun to Earth Distance?

Post #29by chris » 26.09.2004, 23:53

Seb wrote:According to the verbose details the Sun is nearer to the Earth during winter. I've tried this from various observations and get the same results.

The seasons on Earth are caused be the inclination of the Earth's rotational axis with respect to its orbital plane. They have nothing to do with variation in the distance to the Sun. Remember, when it's winter in the northern hemisphere, it's summer in the southern hemisphere--distance variation can't account for that.

--Chris

Post #30by Guest » 27.09.2004, 23:48

Yes, I understand seasons etc.., ah, think earth is actually closer during Jan. Old news..!!

dirkpitt

Post #31by dirkpitt » 24.10.2004, 04:28

1. Normal maps cause strange rainbow-coloring (Moon, Mars). Note that vertex programs are running without any other problems (console says Vertex Programs loaded successfully, and I see night lights/specular properly).

2. When a moon is in the shadow of its parent planet, the front of the moon (which is shadowed by the planet) is darker than the back (which is not illuminated by anything).
To reproduce: Set date to 2004-10-24, 2:21:27 AM GMT and go to Io. Ambient light is set to default.

3. Celestia window origin is confused by Expose. To reproduce: Before launching Celestia, press F11 to cause Expose to show the Desktop. Now launch Celestia from the Recent Items menu. The Celestia window will appear shifted down and to the right, and will refuse to move up beyond a certain point.

4. Right mouse button does not display contextual menus. Ctrl-left button must be used instead.

My system is:
Celestia 1.3.1 (v0.1)
Mac OS X 10.3.5, 768M RAM
PB G4 1.33, Mobility Radeon 9700 (64Mb)
Xcode Tools installed

Since I have an ATI chip, I am willing to help out with shader programs and also other Mac-specific UI stuff.

selden
Developer

Post #32by selden » 24.10.2004, 12:44

dirkpitt,

Sadly, your first two problems are caused by bugs in the video drivers for vertex shading provided by Apple (probably in code provided to Apple by ATI). You need to report the problems to Apple and get them to fix the code.

ATI cards used on Windows do not have the problems you report, but they do when used with Linux and MacOs :(

Your second two problems are caused by limitations in the port of Celestia to MacOS. You probably should try to contact HankR directly, perhaps by posting in one of the threads where he's posted recently. Hank has done most of the Mac port, but he has limited time, so not all of the user interface features are available.
Selden

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #33by chris » 24.10.2004, 19:15

dirkpitt wrote:2. When a moon is in the shadow of its parent planet, the front of the moon (which is shadowed by the planet) is darker than the back (which is not illuminated by anything).
To reproduce: Set date to 2004-10-24, 2:21:27 AM GMT and go to Io. Ambient light is set to default.
This is actually a limitation of Celestia. Eclipse shadows and ambient light don't interact properly; they only look correct when ambient light is turned off completely. I've recently fixed the problem, but the fix requires an OpenGL driver that supports GLSL, the new high level shading language for OpenGL.

My system is:
Celestia 1.3.1 (v0.1)
Mac OS X 10.3.5, 768M RAM
PB G4 1.33, Mobility Radeon 9700 (64Mb)
Xcode Tools installed

Since I have an ATI chip, I am willing to help out with shader programs and also other Mac-specific UI stuff.

I'd be very interested to hear if GLSL is supported on the Mac now. Could you post a list of the OpenGL extensions available on your system? Do you have experience with OpenGL programming?

--Chris

dirkpitt
Developer
With us: 19 years 10 months

Post #34by dirkpitt » 25.10.2004, 02:16

Unfortunately GLSL is not yet supported in either 10.3.5 or Tiger (both versions are missing the GL_ARB_shading_language_100 extension). I have yet to check out the OS X 10.3.6 seed (which has updated ATI and NVIDIA drivers) and HankR's new 1.3.2 build, I'll post back if anything's different.

Post #35by Guest » 31.12.2004, 23:59

Info for the sun has a broken link. V. 1.3.2

Pierre Tournay
With us: 19 years 9 months

Bug...Celestia locks up

Post #36by Pierre Tournay » 03.01.2005, 22:28

Hello;

I loaded many deep sky objects as add-ons. (About 40 of them)
When I press the letter "U" to display them, after I zoom on one, the picture of say, M31 , appears, but on top of the fuzzy galaxy representation that was there before. The program also locks up when I try to navigate around M31 as if it' s loading all the deep sky objects and too much computing power is required. The only way to get out of this is to shut down by pressing the "Power" button long enough

This happens on any deep sky objects, when I press the button "U" to display them

I slowed down the acceleration feature of my graphics card and it still hangs up but now the resolution is not as nice, so it' s now back all the way up

I have Celestia ver 1.3.2
I use a laptop Toshiba P20, 3 Ghz processor, 1 Gb RAM and GeForce 5200 3D graphics card with 64 Megs of memory on it

Note: I loaded the Educational add-on and all the additional add-ons are in the Educational "Extra" folder...There is well over 1 Giga byte of stuff in the Educational Extra folder

Thank you for any suggestions you may have....This program rocks !!!
...but it hangs up during the best :))

Sincerely
Pierre Topurnay
Montreal

Galerant
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #37by Galerant » 09.01.2005, 17:44

...I think I'm probably missing something, or making some stupid mistake, but it seems that for custom planets, Celestia displays the year length as "Day Length" in the verbose information HUD. It does display the correct value for the solar system itself, though. I'm using the 1.4 build (Which since it is a prerelease, I'm not even sure if I should be posting about it in this thread) on Windows XP Home, with an NVidia Geforce FX 5200.

kikuchiyo

date bug + inaccurate info

Post #38by kikuchiyo » 11.01.2005, 16:41

Hello, I stumbled upon Celestia a few days ago and found it to be both fun and enlightening.
However, I think I discovered two minor issues, the first one is a not really significant inaccuracy in the database while the second is an actual bug.

1. I have visited several stars that are known to be binaries or multiple star systems like Sirius, Procyon, Castor, Mizar, etc. These are featured as single stars in the program. Likewise, only 2 components of eps Eri is displayed instead of 4.

2. The dates before -4716 become unreliable, i. e. negative dates and times are displayed, like -4718 -08 -27, -12:-28:-07.

I tried V1.2.4 on a PC/WinXP+SP1/256MB/1500MHz/Nvidia Ti4200
and V1.3.2 on a Mac G3/OSX 10.3.7/640MB,
both issues persist on both systems.

Sincerely,
kikuchiyo

Guest2005

Total Meltdown of Mac when I use Celestia

Post #39by Guest2005 » 16.01.2005, 10:46

Ok, here's the specs first:

Machine Model: iBook G4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.07 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.5f0
ATY,RV280M9+:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 32 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5c63
Revision ID: 0x0001
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-125

And I'm using Celestia 1.3.2

Whenever I boot up Celestia, it shows a Sun, says 'welcome to celestia!' and then looks at Earth (which is far away). Then, all of a sudden, it doesnt do anything, and doesnt respond to Command+Q or Command+Ctrl+Esc. Then the mouse stops working. I swear I half expect to see smoke come out of the laptop. I have to fully reboot the entire thing to fix it.

I've also tried getting rid of the extra hash in the .cfg file, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

MKruer

High Precession Rates lead to bad orbit projection

Post #40by MKruer » 01.02.2005, 09:15

High Precession Rates lead to bad orbit projection

http://www.celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6670

Tested in 1.4pre6

Return to “Bugs”