broken package? / compiling from source

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
dab
With us: 22 years 8 months

broken package? / compiling from source

Post #1by dab » 21.04.2004, 14:12

I was happily running celestia on debian linux, until recently, installing the 1.3.0 package:
celestia: error while loading shared libraries: liblualib.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have installed liblua4 and liblua5, but I cannot find a file called liblualib.so. So I decided to build 1.3.1 from source:

checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.1.0) (library qt-mt) not found. Please check your installation!

I have installed all conceivable Qt packages; I suspect this is sort of a 'version floating point error', since qt 3.2.3 is known as qt3 2.3 (?)

can anybody give me a hand with this (either the missing liblualib.so or the unrecognized qt-mt)? I really miss the program :cry:

Christophe
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #2by Christophe » 21.04.2004, 19:22

liblualib.so should definitely be part of your lua5 package (or lua5-devel?).

qt-mt is the thread enabled version of Qt, it should be included with your Qt package. Sometimes the error message configure spits out is confusing and not directly related to the actual error. What it means here is that it failed while trying to build/link a Qt test program, you may be missing a Qt devel dependancy and not libqt-mt itself. Check the configure.log file for the exact error.
Christophe

Topic author
dab
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #3by dab » 22.04.2004, 07:36

thanks - well, maybe it's a distribution-related problem: debian has liblua50, liblua50-dev, lua50 -- but lua50-dev is conspiciously absent. I'll try to get hold of that file somewhere else (but I must not tinker with celestia too much while I should be working :? )

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/sear ... elease=all

I used to build earlier versions of celestia from source; I liked it, because I could mess with things; Qt is a closed book to me, so maybe the time invested to fix my trouble will arguably be of pedagogical value :wink:

Christophe
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #4by Christophe » 22.04.2004, 08:57

judging by the content of the liblua50 package I'd say that Debian is simply not using the standard name for the library.

Code: Select all

cd /usr/lib
ln -s liblua50.so.5.0 liblualib.so.5.0
ldconfig

should fix the problem.

And for Qt, libqt-mt is included in libdevel/libqt3-mt-dev.
Christophe

Post #5by Guest » 22.04.2004, 10:57

thanks for your help! I got the binary to run with your simlink

(I'm getting tired of debian -- too many dependencies are broken; it's 'testing' alright, but if you use 'stable', you only get years-old software)

installing libqt3-mt-dev did not do the trick though, so I'm stuck with celestia 1.3.0 for now

Debian build

Post #6by guest » 09.05.2004, 05:48

I got one of the 1.3.1 rpm versions converted with alien and the following gets the program to run... However it does not seem to be working properly as it just comes up with io and none of the other menu choices such as Mars Flyby seem to work.

root@io:/usr/lib# ln -s liblualib50.so.5.0 liblualib.so
root@io:/usr/lib# ldconfig
root@io:/usr/lib# ln -s liblua50.so.5.0 liblua.so
root@io:/usr/lib# ldconfig

Please contact Kathy and I at <contact at starryskies.com> if you can help get this working for Kathy.

Chuck

Return to “Bugs”