Total crash of Celestia after 1.3.2 pre5 installation

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Darkmiss
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #21by Darkmiss » 20.03.2004, 00:17

Glad to hear it Andrea, Welcome back

Good pickup on the dll file Don
CPU- Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad ,2.40GHz
RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2
Motherboard- Gigabyte P35 DQ6
Video Card- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS + 640Mb
Hard Drives- 2 SATA Raptor 10000rpm 150GB
OS- Windows Vista Home Premium 32

Don. Edwards
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #22by Don. Edwards » 20.03.2004, 02:26

Let me chime in here about the NVidia drivers. First they are not called Detonator drivers any longer they are called Forceware drivers. The Forceware 56.64 version drivers, of all their drivers over the last year, these I have found not to recommend. After installing them and rebooting I got an NTkernel panic. After going back in safe mode and trying the installer again I got the same thing. So I again went into safe mode and reinstalled the previous Forceware 53.03 version and I was back up and running. I don't know why they wouldn't work as I have one of NVidia's newest cards. I guess I have to wait for the next release.
Just though I would point out that there may be a problem with the Forceware 56.64 drivers for some users. I wouldn't want you install them and think your systems tanked on you. And if you do install the 56.64 drivers and your system gets buggy just reboot into safe mode and go back to the Forceware 53.03 driver set. They are rock solid and work beautifully for me for months now. Than again you may not have any problems at all.

Another thing to consider Andrea, is to never except any NVidia video drivers from Microsoft’s update site as they are always several generations older than what you can get from NVidia's web site. Also if the updater did any kind of update to your Direct X files this is a sure fire bet that it effected your NVidia drivers. As a standing rule always install any Direct X updates before you install your video drivers. As a computer tech you learn these things very fast. The things you are describing in your posts do sound like this could be because of a Direct X update. I saw very similar thing happening a few months back when I updated from Direct X 9.a to 9.b. Celestia wouldn't load and it kept giving me that the error was in the NVidia OpenGL drivers. A simple reinstall of the drivers and this fixed the problem. Hopefully this will help you debug your system.

Don. Edwards
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

Topic author
ANDREA
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #23by ANDREA » 20.03.2004, 10:30

Don. Edwards wrote: The things you are describing in your posts do sound like this could be because of a Direct X update. I saw very similar thing happening a few months back when I updated from Direct X 9.a to 9.b. Celestia wouldn't load and it kept giving me that the error was in the NVidia OpenGL drivers. A simple reinstall of the drivers and this fixed the problem. Hopefully this will help you debug your system. Don. Edwards

Hello Don, you are right, as usual. :D
Some days ago I downloaded from MS a lot of upgrades for WIN XP, and among them there was one for Direct X. :evil:
Now it's clear, and next time BEFORE installing new Nvidia drivers I'll check and install eventual Direct X upgrades. :twisted:
By the way, I have the doubt that the 56.64 is dedicated to FX cards, if it's so may be that it doesn't work correctly on Ti cards like mine. :?
Thank you again for your kind explanation.
From a happy Celestia user, by :D

Andrea :P
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Don. Edwards
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #24by Don. Edwards » 20.03.2004, 12:17

Andrea,
That is the funny thing. I have an FX card and the 56.64's do not work with it at all. XP will not even get to the logon screen and it crashes. As these were new drivers they should be suporting my new card just fine bu they arn't. BTW they do work on my brother's lowly GeForce4 MX. Idn't that the pits.
Oh well the 53.03 driver so work just fine and the new FX goodies that Chris had implemented work very nicely.

Don. Edwards
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

TERRIER
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #25by TERRIER » 20.03.2004, 12:41

Don E / Andrea

I know it's no consolation to you, but I'm having no problems with the new 56.64 drivers.
All is working fine, and there are some more options available to me when clicking on the taskbar icon. This includes a list of screen resolution settings, and an "analog display" option which lets you go to the main driver settings and select some more advanced (and probably useless :lol: ) features.

regards
TERRIER
1.6.0:AMDAth1.2GHz 1GbDDR266:Ge6200 256mbDDR250:WinXP-SP3:1280x1024x32FS:v196.21@AA4x:AF16x:IS=HQ:T.Buff=ON Earth16Kdds@15KkmArctic2000AD:FOV1:SPEC L5dds:NORM L5dxt5:CLOUD L5dds:
NIGHT L5dds:MOON L4dds:GALXY ON:MAG 15.2-SAP:TIME 1000x:RP=OGL2:10.3FPS

Return to “Bugs”