Alternate Textures only one at a time?

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
alan_federman
With us: 21 years 8 months

Alternate Textures only one at a time?

Post #1by alan_federman » 06.11.2003, 16:31

I am running a script that goes to earth and mars. I'd like to use the
alternate resolution on both. However if I select alternate resolution for earth, mars gets set to normla and vice versa. Is there a way to select alternate texture from a script, or lock it in at start up?

Thanks
Alan Federman

don
With us: 21 years 2 months

Re: Alternate Textures only one at a time?

Post #2by don » 08.11.2003, 12:06

Howdy Alan,

Have you tried the preloadtex command (I think)? The object is the filename, without a path.

-Don G.

timcrews
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #3by timcrews » 25.11.2003, 04:23

It's not clear to me what preloadtex has to do with this issue.

I second Alan's observation, under a different scenario. I like to use the primitive earth / primitive moon textures (the textures that simulate their appearance shortly after a theoretical large-body collision that resulted in the ejection of the material that became the moon.) I'm not sure if I believe this theory, but the models sure do look neat!

I would like to set up both textures as alternate textures. But if I select the alternate earth texture, the moon goes back to its default texture. If I select the alternate moon texture, the earth goes back to its default texture. I am unable to select alternate textures for both bodies.

Tim Crews

don
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #4by don » 25.11.2003, 08:28

timcrews wrote:It's not clear to me what preloadtex has to do with this issue.

Well, since the issue involves loading textures in a Celestia script, I thought that would be a logical question. preloadtex pre-loads textures into memory which means it is not dependent upon the camera being AT the specific object. Sorry if I was mistaken in any way.

-Don G.

steffens
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #5by steffens » 25.11.2003, 13:28

As far as I understand, celestia tries to load alternative surfaces by the current selected name. That way the "limit of knowledge" surfaces work. If you select "limit of knowledge" on one body celestia will try to load this surface on any body visited later on.
Now if you call your alternative surfaces for primitive earth and primitive moon by the same name, say "primitive", both earth and moon will look right.
Maybe it would be preferable to set alternative surfaces per body...

Hope that helps
steffens

timcrews
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #6by timcrews » 25.11.2003, 16:24

Giving the same name for the alternate textures for both bodies does work. Selecting the alternate texture for one planet (in my case, Earth), results in the selection of the same-named alternate texture for other planets (in my case, Moon).

Thanks,

Tim

Return to “Bugs”