asteroid texture bug

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
ravinfinite
With us: 22 years 5 months

asteroid texture bug

Post #1by ravinfinite » 27.04.2002, 21:02

hi people

for some reason, all of the asteroids in the solarsys.ssc file after EROS don't have any textures. I've checked the file and the entries are perfectly fine. The asteroids affected are:

Toutatis, Geographos, Kleopatra, 1998 KY26, Bacchus, Golevka and Castalia.

I'm running Celestia 1.2.4pre3. Maybe it's just me; someone confirm this.

thanks in advance

ravINFINITE
***** long live ASCII *****

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

asteroid texture bug

Post #2by chris » 28.04.2002, 00:32

ravinfinite wrote:hi people

for some reason, all of the asteroids in the solarsys.ssc file after EROS don't have any textures. I've checked the file and the entries are perfectly fine. The asteroids affected are:

Toutatis, Geographos, Kleopatra, 1998 KY26, Bacchus, Golevka and Castalia.

You're right--these asteroids are missing textures. I believe that this is because the models themselves don't have texture coordinates assigned to their vertices.

--Chris

Topic author
ravinfinite

fixing asteroids

Post #3by ravinfinite » 28.04.2002, 01:30

hey chris

you're exactly right about the missing texture coodinates. I can fix that easily; I'll make a fix and I'll put it on my web site shortly. If you want, you can include them in the next Celestia release.

thanks in advance

ravINFINITE

Topic author
ravinfinite

another problem

Post #4by ravinfinite » 28.04.2002, 01:52

hey people

chris, there seems to be another problem with the asteroids. I've corrected the missing texture coordinates for the "rogue" asteroids. However, when I ran Celestia, the colours for the asteroids were missing.

I then went to Eros, the asteroid that had the colour working. It was a brownish colour. I then went into the solarsys.ssc file and looked at the "Color" and "Blendtexture" parameters. They were all right. I then looked at the "rogue" asteroids and they also had the exact same parameters. I then commented the "color" and "blendtexture" parameters for Eros and saved the file. I then loaded Celestia and went straight to Eros. Surprisingly, it still had that brownish colour! I then opened the Eros .3ds model file.

It seems though that the colour is actually hardcoded into the eros.3ds file itself. I looked at the Ambient and Diffues Material colour parameters and the colours were the exact same as they were in Celestia.

I'll put the fixed asteroids on my web page shortly. If you can find out how to fix the colours, I will be very grateful.

thanks in advance

ravINFINITE

Return to “Bugs”