Celestia FORUM Bug

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
Wheelie
With us: 22 years

Celestia FORUM Bug

Post #1by Wheelie » 12.06.2003, 15:37

I always have to login twice ! :(
And I click on auto login to...

And a week ago my Avatar was gone but there was no change or browse button, so I deleted it. But still no browse Avatar :?

Forum Administrator : Make it so / Engage debug mode / put the coffie down :wink:

Or is it my PC or Browser setting ?

julesstoop
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #2by julesstoop » 12.06.2003, 21:51

I have similar problems from the Win 2000-machines on the Leiden University network. From the Linux-clients (running Mozilla) I can't log in at all.
Lapinism matters!
http://settuno.com/

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #3by selden » 12.06.2003, 22:13

Make sure you have cookies enabled. My guess is that they may be disabled. That's how the phpBB forum software keeps track of your login status.

I just finished tested accessing the forum using "Compaq Secure Web Browser v1.2.1" which is based on Mozilla v1.2.1 as ported to OpenVMS Alpha. Right now I'm posting from Mozilla v1.4b as ported to OpenVMS Alpha. Both are working fine for me after asking if I wanted to allow the cookies to be set.

Now let's see if this actually posts right...

added later: it did and it's also letting me edit the post.

Amazingly enough it seems the Mozilla developers finally fixed the form editing routines. Those bugs have been one of the reasons I've been avoiding using Mozilla for the past year. It being grossly large and slow are the others.

Wheelie,

I'm not sure what you mean by "browse avatar". The Celestia forum does not permit avatar pictures, if that's what you mean. If you had one for a while, that was an accident.
Selden

Topic author
Wheelie

Post #4by Wheelie » 13.06.2003, 08:48

Hey Selden,

If you goto profile (if your loged in) on the botum of that page is :

I'm almost sure I uploaded an ugly picture of me. :o

Did you install new PHPBB forum software ?

Topic author
Wheelie

If got some info for you Selden

Post #5by Wheelie » 13.06.2003, 12:52

I was browsing an other forum that uses the same forum software.

It's the site of TC a verry nice file program like the old NC only better (sorry Peter :oops: ).

Take a look if you want :

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/index.php?language=english

And this is the version of the software :

Powered by phpBB <http://www.phpbb.com/> 2.0.4 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

You can change that PHPBB logo to a nice Celestia Logo (if you want to, or do you have obligations to them ?)

If I goto that Profile thing overthere it has a few extra lines on the bottum :

Upload Avatar from your machine:
Upload Avatar from a URL:

Enter the URL of the location containing the Avatar image, it will be copied to this site
Select Avatar from gallery:

So it's possible. :wink:

selden
Developer

Post #6by selden » 13.06.2003, 13:02

Wheelie,

When I wrote "does not permit", I meant that Chris disabled the feature. Too often people abuse it, and that's one source of grief that's easily avoided. It also puts an additional load on the server and its network connection, which is busy enough already. There are lots of ways the forum software can be personalized, but I think we'd all prefer that Chris spend his free time on Celestia instead :)
Selden

Topic author
Wheelie

Post #7by Wheelie » 13.06.2003, 13:22

Sorry :oops:

I was reading to fast... 8)

Topic author
Wheelie

Post #8by Wheelie » 16.06.2003, 07:52

But I still have to login twice !
And I noticed that the first time I try I see myself on the bottom as logged in user but not above (as : Log out [ Wheelie ] )

But indeed, the tools / internet options / privacy / was on medium high, it's now on Accept all cookies and that works !
But there is little info there, what does that mean when I'm surfing on the net.

Too often people abuse it
Yeah... I know one very good.. (myself). Indeed people are scum / losers / not to be trusted.

But unfortunately you have to start all over again every day. And forget the bad.
don't keep a record of wrong

:roll:

selden
Developer

Post #9by selden » 16.06.2003, 11:16

Wheelie wrote:But I still have to login twice !
And I noticed that the first time I try I see myself on the bottom as logged in user but not above (as : Log out [ Wheelie ] )
you should see an offer to logout. sorry can't help: "it works fine for me"
I'm using Internet Explorer 6, sp1, for what that's worth.
But indeed, the tools / internet options / privacy / was on medium high, it's now on Accept all cookies and that works !
But there is little info there, what does that mean when I'm surfing on the net.

Cookies are parcels of information sent back to your browser which can then be requested by the web site. They're usually used to keep track of you while you're browsing. I'd suggest doing a Google searh for more details.

I usually use the custom options to set exactly the level of privacy I want.
Selden

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Re: Celestia FORUM Bug

Post #10by t00fri » 16.06.2003, 12:04

Wheelie wrote:I always have to login twice ! :(
And I click on auto login to...

And a week ago my Avatar was gone but there was no change or browse button, so I deleted it. But still no browse Avatar :?

Forum Administrator : Make it so / Engage debug mode / put the coffie down :wink:

Or is it my PC or Browser setting ?

It is always a good idea to name the browser that you are using:

--Netscape 4.x:

requires "double logins" plus reloads after writing posts etc.

--Mozilla (Netscape 6.x, 7.x): works
-- Konqueror (KDE-Linux): works
-- IE: works

What I (and sure many others) do is to login ONCE, but /never logout/!

Whenever you are returning to the forum you find yourself automatically logged in, when you leave you are logged out.

Bye Fridger

Topic author
Wheelie

Post #11by Wheelie » 17.06.2003, 07:36

I have IE 6.0, and I have the cookies on low, but I get the impresion that if I login the same day it works better. And if I login here (that is at work), it sets this setting to mediumhigh again.

But on that other forum it always works fine, when I think about it, it worked fine befere that avatar thing.......

I think....

Return to “Bugs”