Ghost object 'eats' the name of the planet

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
gironde M
With us: 7 years 9 months

Ghost object 'eats' the name of the planet

Post #1by gironde » 20.03.2017, 07:57

Hello,

I noticed that a phantom object, round and small, literally eats the name of the planet when it moves to the last third right of the screen.
This phenomenon occurs over the entire height of the screen as if this object followed the planet but only in this third of the screen.

LUT is not at issue.
Only occurs in the Solar System with planets, dwarfplanets and moons.
Occurs only with the name of the object.

Mystery!

Version used: Celestia 1.6.1 official

FarGetaNik M
With us: 12 years 3 months

Post #2by FarGetaNik » 20.03.2017, 08:40

I can't quite follow your description, could you show a screenshot or something?

I can only think of a phenomenon when one object (like a spacecraft) is at the surface of a planet, depending on the perspective, Celestia might render the name inside the planet, blocking it from view.

Maybe check your addons, there might be some object that blocks the names. I don't know how this could be dependant of the position on the screen.

Topic author
gironde M

Post #3by gironde » 20.03.2017, 09:24

FarGetaNik,

see the screenshot
(it's not "Ghost of Mars" ! :smile: )

Croc has the same phenomenon.
We are both working on L.U.T. but it's not at issue.
The object is round and relatively small and only interacts with the name of the planet. The name of the planets is managed in Celestia and not in an addon, except the translation.
Attachments
Ghost of Solar Sytem.zip
(85.08 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

FarGetaNik M

Post #4by FarGetaNik » 20.03.2017, 09:33

Ah now I get it. It is as I described earlier, or at least related. Celestia renders labels right of the center of an object. When the object is towards the right of the screen, the surface describes an angle relative to the screen-parallel label, so some if it ends up inside the planet. Now that you pointet it out, I was able to recreate this. I never noticed it before. But it's only a minor annoyance...

Topic author
gironde M

Post #5by gironde » 20.03.2017, 09:48

FarGetaNik,

Not of course, it's not embarrassing !

HB M
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #6by HB » 20.03.2017, 22:37

I've noticed the same phenomena. The "ghost" is covering the label differently when the you move the object in the right part of the screen in vertical direction. When moving the solar object to the right it seems that the ghost becomes larger. However if you enlarge the object with the mouse wheel you move in fact the ghost of the screen, so the label will be completely visible again. So the way the label is covered by the ghost depends on the size of the object.

I've tryed this with Mercury. Moving the planet from the centre (and a little bit above the middle) of the screen, to the right it starts covering the label with a few pixels and becomes larger going to the right.

Weird, something to fix of course, but with a low priority, I think.
HB

FarGetaNik M

Post #7by FarGetaNik » 21.03.2017, 08:33

If it also depends on the size ob the sphere, maybe it's related to the polyeder used to approximate spheres. I noticed that when pretty far away from an object, but it's still not displayed as a point, and you zoom out as far as possible and then putting the object towards a corner, you'll see a crude icosahedron.

Return to “Bugs”