Crashes to Desktop near complex objects

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
Panther

Crashes to Desktop near complex objects

Post #1by Panther » 10.04.2002, 21:26

I experience frequent crashes when approaching complex objects in Celestia 1.22 (no addons or mods installed). As I?ve read in this forum, many other users suffer from the same problem.

The crashes occur most often near Satellites, so it is almost impossible to get near ISS, Hubble or Galileo. Less often there are also problems approaching asteroids and comets.
I think there should be some work done on the graphics engine...

My System: WinXP, Geforce2MX 64MB with Detonator 28.32 Drivers, Athlon 1400 with 512 Megs DDR-RAM

PS: Besides of the crashes, Celestia is an awesome tool!!!!

IlyaG
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #2by IlyaG » 11.04.2002, 19:06

I posted a near-identical thread on this forum about this same bug, and no one responded to that either :P

I doubt there's a forthcoming patch any time soon, just from the fact that everybody seems to show a great disinterest to it

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #3by chris » 11.04.2002, 19:15

IlyaG wrote:I posted a near-identical thread on this forum about this same bug, and no one responded to that either :P

I doubt there's a forthcoming patch any time soon, just from the fact that everybody seems to show a great disinterest to it

Wrong . . . I will fix this. It's my top priority bug, but I've been busy with traveling and a new job. It's a tricky thing for me to fix because I haven't been able to reproduce it on any of my computers yet.

--Chris

IlyaG
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #4by IlyaG » 12.04.2002, 14:55

I stand corrected

Avetikus

/nod

Post #5by Avetikus » 12.04.2002, 17:55

Just piping in to say I've got the same problem going on here.

AMD 1400+
ASUS a7v133 board
0.5 GB SDRAM
Diamond Viper 770u

Hope you get a handle on this bug.

M Rodriguez

Kingsnake

Same problems here, but overall this program rocks!!

Post #6by Kingsnake » 12.04.2002, 22:21

I would like to start by saying thank you Chris - This is an amazing program with lots of potential! Keep up the great work! :D

I wish I knew more about programming, I have many ideas that I would love to be able to see come to life - but I'm just a musician with a mind for science... 8O

I've been trying your 1.2.4 pre-release, and I thought you might find the following input useful:
I think I read this somewhere else on your forum, so I'm sure you're aware of it, but it seems whenever I get very close to a planet/satellite/etc. with the orbits on, the orbit's rendering becomes somewhat rectangular towards the far edges of the orbital curve. (Does that make sense? LOL)
When I right-click on an object, I get the nice little menu like I should. My only complaint about this is that if I decide to pick another object, or the one I clicked on was not the one I aimed for, the only way for me to right-click and bring up a menu for another object is to FIRST left click somewhere else in the window to "reset" it... Nothing major, but to avoid confusion with future users, you might want to fix this if possible by making it so that another right click on the Celestia sceen/window, away from the menu, will reset the [Right-click]menu and allow you to choose another. I hope this helps.

On another note, will it be possible to add even more stars and galaxies in the future? I noticed that all of the objects are clustered around our position in space... Is this because of the software's limitations, hardware limitations, or some lack of accurate positional data for very distant objects? Or maybe you just don't have the time to plot out billions of stars? :P
Just curious...
As it stands this is an incredibly entertaining, stimulating, and educational program (just think - if you ever happen to get abducted by aliens, you can give them directions back to their star system if they just so happened to get lost! :wink: ) and I'm looking forward to seeing just where it can go from here!

Keep up the great work!

Best regards,
Sean

Return to “Bugs”