Freezes on Mac OS X 10.1.3

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
Topic author
rfondo

Freezes on Mac OS X 10.1.3

Post #1by rfondo » 04.04.2002, 13:18

First of all, thank you for publishing such a dazzling piece of software! I am really looking forward to exploring Celestia with my son.

Celestia runs fine for the first minute or so, then freezes. Regardless of whether or not I am running the demo or selecting an object and "going" to it. My config:

iMac DV SE (ATI RAGE Pro 128)
Mac OS X 10.1.3
640 MB

This seems to happen whether or not the classic environment is running or not. I've read the info about the support for the GEForce card in Celestia, but didn't think it would result in the app freezing.

Any help appreciated. :lol:

Thanks!

Ron Fondo
rfondo@mac.com

iMac troubles

Post #2by Guest » 04.04.2002, 14:25

rfondo-
Hmm. Well, 1.2.2 runs fine on my rev a iBook, Which i believe has an earlier version of your graphics card...and I've installed it on a iMac 600
with the same card as your iMac...have you tried simply reinstalling it?
In any case, Chris should have the 1.2.4 update whipped into shape soon,But I can't imagine what the problem with your iMac could be...

Regards,
Basil

boertje
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #3by boertje » 05.04.2002, 23:58

Well, reinstalling isn't really doing it on OSX since the most famous port is just "installed" via drag&drop.
Also there are no Preference-files created which could cause a problem. So the only solution I know is to use different textures. I personally couldn't watch the latest earth-textures so I changed them to the old ones. Of course you'll have to do this via Terminal since the finder doesn't accept .app's as directories (afaik)
Basically it's copying the low resolution ones into one of the /Celestia.app/Contents/Resources/textures/ folders and then changing the solarsys.ssc to use the right texture. I'm too tired now to explain it for the average mac-user but maybe this helps you already.

boertje

Matt McIrvin
With us: 22 years 7 months

The Finder and Celestia.app

Post #4by Matt McIrvin » 06.04.2002, 03:33

About peeking inside Celestia for Mac OS X:

boertje wrote:Of course you'll have to do this via Terminal since the finder doesn't accept .app's as directories (afaik)

Actually, you can (sometimes) look inside in the Finder: Right-click (or control-click, if you have a one-button mouse) on the Celestia application, and select "Show Package Contents." The application should be opened like a folder.

For some reason, for me it works most but not all of the time. I haven't been able to figure out any pattern-- I think this is an idiosyncracy of the OS rather than of Celestia.

Return to “Bugs”