Celestia looks like crap

Report bugs, bug fixes and workarounds here.
ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Re: Celestia looks like crap

Post #21by ElChristou » 14.06.2008, 21:08

t00fri wrote:Well observed, indeed ;-) . Notably, since virtually all prices have essentially doubled since the introduction of the Euro, including BEER!

Doubled is "le moins que l'on puisse dire!" I have the felling that 1 euro is near to become 1 franc in the mind of lot of people! 8O

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #22by t00fri » 14.06.2008, 21:10

ElChristou wrote:
t00fri wrote:Well observed, indeed ;-) . Notably, since virtually all prices have essentially doubled since the introduction of the Euro, including BEER!

Doubled is "le moins que l'on puisse dire!" I have the felling that 1 euro is near to become 1 franc in the mind of lot of people! 8O

That's the amazing fact:

Germany: 1 Euro = 1DM
France: 1 Euro = 1franc
England: 1 Euro = 1 Pound

USA: 1 Euro = 1.5 $ ;-) ahem...

Fridger

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #23by ElChristou » 14.06.2008, 21:16

Yep, but it's quite incredible! I have the feeling to come from another planet! 8O

zhar2
With us: 16 years 6 months

Post #24by zhar2 » 14.06.2008, 21:54

t00fri wrote:
ElChristou wrote:

That's the amazing fact:

Germany: 1 Euro = 1DM
France: 1 Euro = 1franc
England: 1 Euro = 1 Pound

USA: 1 Euro = 1.5 $ ;-) ahem...

Fridger

Well it seems the economy is going the drain, i missed the ye olde good days when a euro was less than a pound (well atlat alot less than what its now).

Topic author
TheJollyRajah
With us: 16 years 3 months

Post #25by TheJollyRajah » 14.06.2008, 22:10

I'm sorry about the whole situation. I really should've used a better title. Sorry for my poor judgement. :(

I'm a 19 year-old nobody, and I feel thickheaded arguing with you guys.

Anyways, my friend told me how to fix it, and Celestia looks breathtaking. It turns out nothing was wrong with my card. Holding shift and the R keys fixed everything. :)

One more question:

Whenever I view planets like Earth, I see little white pixels flashing along the edge of the planet. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks for putting up with my crap. :wink:

t00fri
Developer

Post #26by t00fri » 14.06.2008, 22:34

Good you got Celestia working...
Never mind.

Fridger

Topic author
TheJollyRajah

Post #27by TheJollyRajah » 14.06.2008, 22:49

t00fri ,

If it makes you feel any better, I will recite a poem.

Ahem:

There once was a man upon a stair,
A little man that wansn't there.
He wasn't there again today,
Gee, I wish he'd go away.

It's a poem my grandfather always told to me. :)

t00fri
Developer

Post #28by t00fri » 14.06.2008, 23:43

TheJollyRajah wrote:t00fri ,

If it makes you feel any better, I will recite a poem.

Ahem:

There once was a man upon a stair,
A little man that wansn't there.
He wasn't there again today,
Gee, I wish he'd go away.

It's a poem my grandfather always told to me. :)

Not bad at all ;-) .

Ever heard of Christian Morgenstern? A German writer, quite well known... 1871 - 1914, some of his poems are a bit like that of your grandfather..

This one is often attributed to him, but actually the author is unknown:

Finster war's der Mond schien helle
schneebedeckt die gr?ne Flur,
als ein Wagen blitzesschnelle
langsam um die Ecke fuhr.

Drinnen sassen stehend Leute,
schweigend ins Gespraech vertieft,
als ein totgeschoss'ner Hase.
auf der Wiese Schlittschuh lief.

Or similar, that's how I remember it at least.
Don't feed Babel with it, Babel will run hot and then never work again ;-)

Fridger

abramson
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #29by abramson » 15.06.2008, 00:58

One year in Dresden (and several semesters at Goethe Institut as a teenager) are not enough to get the full hang of it, but I liked the "ein Wagen blitzesschnelle langsam" part. Made me remember a saying from my Latin: Festina lente!, attributed to King Richard Lionheart by my first Latin teacher.

This turned out to be a good thread. Lets move it to the Purgatory to continue with some beer.

Jolly Rajah, don be impatient, you will soon learn all you need to master Celestia.

Guillermo

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 11 months

Post #30by BobHegwood » 15.06.2008, 06:01

TheJollyRajah wrote:One more question:
Whenever I view planets like Earth, I see little white pixels flashing along the edge of the planet. Is there a way to fix this?

Don't know if it's related or not, but make certain that you have "antialiasing" enabled under the "render" menu. :wink: You can also play with all of the related options until you get the display as you want it to be.
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

t00fri
Developer

Post #31by t00fri » 15.06.2008, 09:46

abramson wrote:One year in Dresden (and several semesters at Goethe Institut as a teenager) are not enough to get the full hang of it, but I liked the "ein Wagen blitzesschnelle langsam" part. Made me remember a saying from my Latin: Festina lente!, attributed to King Richard Lionheart by my first Latin teacher.

This turned out to be a good thread. Lets move it to the Purgatory to continue with some beer.

Jolly Rajah, don be impatient, you will soon learn all you need to master Celestia.

Guillermo

Guillermo,

one reason why this poem is hard to translate, is that it's logical "nonsense" in each line ;-) . Any given statement follows a contradictory attribute ...

E.g.
  • Finster war's der Mond schien helle

meaning:
    it was pitch dark and the moon shone brightly
  • drinnen sassen stehend Leute

meaning:
    inside sat standing people

and so on...

Indeed, the non-Celestia part should go to Purgatory!

Cheers,
Fridger

zhar2
With us: 16 years 6 months

Post #32by zhar2 » 15.06.2008, 11:00

t00fri wrote:Finster war's der Mond schien helle
schneebedeckt die gr?ne Flur,
als ein Wagen blitzesschnelle
langsam um die Ecke fuhr.

Drinnen sassen stehend Leute,
schweigend ins Gespraech vertieft,
als ein totgeschoss'ner Hase.
auf der Wiese Schlittschuh lief.

Fridger

I love the way geman sounds, so authoritarian. :)

bdm
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #33by bdm » 15.06.2008, 23:47

TheJollyRajah wrote:Anyways, my friend told me how to fix it, and Celestia looks breathtaking. It turns out nothing was wrong with my card. Holding shift and the R keys fixed everything. :)
Yep, I thought that would be worth trying. Typing "r" reduces the resolution of the textures and "R" raises the resolution. There are three levels, Low, Medium and High. You were probably using Low resolution textures.

TheJollyRajah wrote:Whenever I view planets like Earth, I see little white pixels flashing along the edge of the planet. Is there a way to fix this?
Try cycling through the render paths with Ctrl-V. On my system, I get the flashing white pixels when using the OpenGL 2.0 render path.

Topic author
TheJollyRajah

Post #34by TheJollyRajah » 16.06.2008, 05:09

bdm,

You're awesome. :wink:

I have multitexture right now, and those little white pixels have now vanished. You know, I think Earth looks better on multitexture anyways.

Thank you.

BobHegwood

Post #35by BobHegwood » 16.06.2008, 13:06

BobHegwood wrote:One other thing you might try too. While running Celestia, try pressing CTRL-V a few times to run through the different render paths. Your system may work better with "multitexture" rather than OpenGL 2.0... Just a thought for you.

Good luck. :wink:

You didn't remember this advice from the first page of this topic? :roll:

Not the reason for this post however. Chris has always stated that Celestia is written primarily to operate in OpenGL 2.0 mode, but - as most of you probably already know - I too have multiple problems when using this render path. Is there some reason for this? Are these problems related to hardware? Or maybe vendor implementations of OpenGL 2.0?

Really just curious here. Also, one more tip for you Jolly... If you don't like having to use the Shift-R and the r buttons in order to raise or lower the resolution of the textures you are viewing, you can always simply place the highest-resolution textures into your Celestia\textures\medres folder. That way, you are always viewing the best textures you have. In fact, my machine has NO textures at all in either the lores or the hires folders. :wink:

Thanks, Brain-Dead

Topic author
TheJollyRajah

Post #36by TheJollyRajah » 16.06.2008, 23:44

My apologies, Bob. I honestly didn't see it. I do now though. :P

Yet, I have a couple more questions. When I download a texture from the motherload, I never get it to work. I've tried reading some of the guides, but maybe I'm just not smart enough to get it right. My main problem comes from trying to unzip the file. I don't even know how to unzip! (Yes, I really do suck that bad with computers.)

I also hate taking pictures, because when I search for them afterwards, they mysteriously vanish.

The second problem is not a big concern for me. It's the textures that are bugging me. I can't seem to figure it out. :(

Oh, and thank you for the tips.

abramson
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #37by abramson » 16.06.2008, 23:58

If you use Windows, just double-left-click the zipfiles in the explorer window corresponding to the folder where you downloaded the package. Windows, since XP, has internal zip support. You will see what's inside the zipfile. Select that and drag it outside of the zipfile, and store it somewhere else, for example inside a proper folder within the Extras folder of Celestia's folder.

If the internal XP zip does not work for you for any reason, get a zipfile manager utility, like Winzip, install it and use it. Now, when double clicking the zipfile, the Winzip will be launched and you will see its content within it.

I hope yu understand the meaning of "create a folder", "Celestia's folder", "the folder where you downloaded the package to" and such. Otherwise, just use the official Celestia installaton while you go and learn something more about the use of a computer.

Good luck.

G

Guillermo

BobHegwood

Post #38by BobHegwood » 17.06.2008, 00:46

TheJollyRajah wrote:My apologies, Bob. I honestly didn't see it. I do now though. :P

Yet, I have a couple more questions. When I download a texture from the motherload, I never get it to work. I've tried reading some of the guides, but maybe I'm just not smart enough to get it right. My main problem comes from trying to unzip the file. I don't even know how to unzip! (Yes, I really do suck that bad with computers.)

Please, you (and others without zip file help.) Do yourself a real favor and go get the free Izarc Unzip Utility which is located HERE. Will save you loads of frustration and is absolute freeware. :wink:

TheJollyRajah wrote:Oh, and thank you for the tips.

My pleasure my friend. :)

Topic author
TheJollyRajah

Post #39by TheJollyRajah » 17.06.2008, 01:48

I finally got the hang of it!

I tried it first on Jupiter. What an amazing sight it is now! So beautiful! Thank you Bob and abramson, you've made Celestia a lot more enjoyable for me. I really appreciate the time you took to help me.

Now let me go download some more textures. :wink:

Return to “Bugs”